Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at used, if it says "Full self-driving computer"? [Does that mean it has FSD?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering a 2021 M3LR, and this is on its UI:

1652715250292.png

Does FSD transfer with the car if it was originally purchased, and does this mean it has it? Or does this mean it has the ability for it to be activated if I paid for the software?

Reactions: Coxwain
That car has autopilot ("autopilot included package") not FSD.

thats telling you that it has hardware version 3 computer, and autopilot as an included package, does NOT have FSD, and has a monthly subscription to premium connectivity.

On the "does FSD transfer" discussion, its not relevant to this vehicle because it doesnt have it. The very high level answer to that question is, if you are buying a used tesla PRIVATE PARTY from the ORIGINAL OWNER, AND FSD was purchased on that vehicle, it will transfer. In any other circumstance, "it depends".

The way the sections on the screen is worded and laid out is weird.

If it has FSD, instead of “Autopilot: Included package”, it would say “Full Self Driving Capability: Included package”.

They should make it more like:
Autopilot computer: HW3.0 or FSD capable
Autopilot package: Basic Autopilot / Enhanced Autopilot / Full Self Driving

The way the sections on the screen is worded and laid out is weird.

If it has FSD, instead of “Autopilot: Included package”, it would say “Full Self Driving Capability: Included package”.

They should make it more like:
Autopilot computer: HW3.0 or FSD capable
Autopilot package: Basic Autopilot / Enhanced Autopilot / Full Self Driving

Complete side note... every time I see your user name here, it reminds me of the last time I really really "loved" a BMW I had. I loved the E90 I had. I didnt like the F 3 series I had much at all. I did like the loaded F series 435 I had, but not as much as the E90.

• Love
Reactions: E90alex
Complete side note... every time I see your user name here, it reminds me of the last time I really really "loved" a BMW I had. I loved the E90 I had. I didnt like the F 3 series I had much at all. I did like the loaded F series 435 I had, but not as much as the E90.
Exact same feelings, have a f34 335xi now and a 3 SR+, miss the E90 325i a lot, that chassis just feels connected to my brain and everything feels so organic. The Model 3 is great but the undefeatable stability control and throttle cut based on steering angle reduces the fun factor a bit.

Thanks a ton for the feedback! This car is distant so I don't have the ability to physically inspect it. It's white with white interior, so that's a bit of a turnoff, but the deal seems good by comparison. Just not sure I want a white interior car. If it had FSD included, that would have probably swayed the decision pretty easily. Alas.

Thanks a ton for the feedback! This car is distant so I don't have the ability to physically inspect it. It's white with white interior, so that's a bit of a turnoff, but the deal seems good by comparison. Just not sure I want a white interior car. If it had FSD included, that would have probably swayed the decision pretty easily. Alas.
No matter what car you look at, I suggest you get a screen shot of the additional vehicle information screen. For example 3G wireless is all but shutdown. Tesla offers an upgrade so this is something to be aware of and to check.

Going on 13 years with my 2006 330i that I’ve had since 2009. It was the last generation before things started getting really bloated at BMW.

No matter what car you look at, I suggest you get a screen shot of the additional vehicle information screen. For example 3G wireless is all but shutdown. Tesla offers an upgrade so this is something to be aware of and to check.
I am looking at a 2016 and on the screen it says

autopilot computer: full self driving computer

Full-self driving capability included package.

Does this mean it has fsd built in ?

I am looking at a 2016 and on the screen it says

autopilot computer: full self driving computer

Full-self driving capability included package.

Does this mean it has fsd built in ?

The FSD computer is there but whether you can use FSD beta or not is another matter.

If you are the original owner, you would know whether you paid FSD or not.

If you are not, it's possible that the original owner didn't pay FSD fully but only rent it monthly.

You need to look at the line:

FSD package included, then you know that your car has FSD.

That car has autopilot ("autopilot included package") not FSD.

thats telling you that it has hardware version 3 computer, and autopilot as an included package, does NOT have FSD, and has a monthly subscription to premium connectivity.

On the "does FSD transfer" discussion, its not relevant to this vehicle because it doesnt have it. The very high level answer to that question is, if you are buying a used tesla PRIVATE PARTY from the ORIGINAL OWNER, AND FSD was purchased on that vehicle, it will transfer. In any other circumstance, "it depends".
If it has harware 3 is that the same as mcu 3?

Check out this page for the various HW and MCU levels / features

thank you but I am still having trouble understanding the hardware vs the mcu
you can have mcu1 but autopilot 2.5? i see
Autopilot computer, Full self driving computer
includes Autopilot
what hardware does this vehicle have?
or
autopilot computer 2.0 computer
autopilot included package
some with side cameras , some without.
I simply don't get the differences.

Additional vehicle information shows
Autopilot computer: full self driving computer ona a Nvidia Tegra

thank you but I am still having trouble understanding the hardware vs the mcu
you can have mcu1 but autopilot 2.5? i see
Autopilot computer, Full self driving computer
includes Autopilot
what hardware does this vehicle have?
or
autopilot computer 2.0 computer
autopilot included package
some with side cameras , some without.
I simply don't get the differences.

Additional vehicle information shows
Autopilot computer: full self driving computer ona a Nvidia Tegra

MCU is Media Control Unit. It's just like a unit in other brands that don't do Driver Assistance: Radio, Navigation Maps...

You can have HW3 FSD computer but with the obsolete MCU1 because some owners don't want to pay for MCU2 upgrade.