Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for advice from Roadster and Performance S owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Just got notice I need to make my design choices in the next month to maintain the old pricing schedule. My reservation was placed 10/19/12.

I'm a current Roadster owner, and I'm waffling between keeping the Roadster and getting an entry level S, or unloading the Roadster and getting the Performance S. Looking for input from those of you that might have a Roadster and a Performance S to see which you'd go with if you had to make a decision. (Think of it like your kids and you have to pick a favorite.)

For me it isn't as much an affordability issue as much as a justifiability issue. Plus, the weather/road conditions around here are pretty harsh on a Roadster and I can't exactly drive it 365 days a year.

Anyway, I think I know which way I'm going but thought I'd see if anyone else had put themselves through this.

(#firstworldproblems, I know)

Well, I have a Performance S and a Roadster. The Roadster is currently under a car cover for the winter.

If I were sensible I'd probably have sold the Roadster, but I've not been able to bring myself to do that. Too many fond memories. I'll wait and see how much use it gets... the Roadster is a blast but the Model S is a much more refined machine.

I'm already going through this thought process in anticipation of Model X - but I have the luxury of seeing a year's worth (or more) of conversation first. I love LOVE my Roadster. The thought of giving it up is painful. But will I drive it once I have the X? It's a justify issue, just like with you... I don't want to keep it just to keep it. It's a car that deserves to be driven.

Thanks. Knew that existed but overlooked it during a search.

Is it bad that I'm leaning towards the "keep both until the 'new' Roadster comes out" plan?

That's the plan I'm on. I love my Roadster but find that I now have to "force" myself to drive it so it just doesn't sit lonely in the garage. Don't get me wrong, the Roadster is a blast to drive but so is the S. I guess like any new toy, the old ones get neglected for a while.

I'm already going through this thought process in anticipation of Model X - but I have the luxury of seeing a year's worth (or more) of conversation first. I love LOVE my Roadster. The thought of giving it up is painful. But will I drive it once I have the X? It's a justify issue, just like with you... I don't want to keep it just to keep it. It's a car that deserves to be driven.

Bonnie, have you driven a Performance S yet?

Same here. Can't fathom parting with the Roadster but that's what I should do. I love it but the performance Model S is a beast and much more practical and just as fun (for me at least). If you bought the Roadster new, you'll take such a hit that might be worth keeping around to see if market every improves for Roadsters. Plus it's such a fun car.

In a backhanded way, it might be a little easier for we Roadster owners in the north...once the crappy winter weather has passed, the nice spring weather (and dropping the top) should provide a renaissance for some of us...:wink:

That's the plan I'm on. I love my Roadster but find that I now have to "force" myself to drive it so it just doesn't sit lonely in the garage. Don't get me wrong, the Roadster is a blast to drive but so is the S. I guess like any new toy, the old ones get neglected for a while.

Bonnie, it's clearly time to prod Tesla for some of those "Roadster - New Options" that have been rumored. Tell Joost to stop with the silly sound proofing type stuff. I've got money for liquid cooling and brake upgrades burning a hole in my pocket.

Heck, you should talk to him directly. Make an excuse to go over to the Fremont Service center. I think he's either in Asia or just getting back. Exciting stuff going on (ask doug).

- - - Updated - - -

Bonnie, have you driven a Performance S yet?

Multiple times :).

Have you come to realize just how much emotion this little Roadster can evoke? A guy I met in Montreal told me about being present when a Roadster was being traded in. The owner had to run back into his house so he wouldn't see it being taken away! I'm pretty sure I'd feel exactly the same way.

Have you come to realize just how much emotion this little Roadster can evoke? A guy I met in Montreal told me about being present when a Roadster was being traded in. The owner had to run back into his house so he wouldn't see it being taken away! I'm pretty sure I'd feel exactly the same way.

I know, right? My practical side says I should trade it in, move on. But then I have a visceral reaction along the lines of, 'Not only no. HELL no!'. I figure I have a year to deal with the emotional side. And if I can't, I'm sure I can find justification here on the forum as to why I MUST keep it. (I love you guys.)

I feel the same way about my 1965 GTO, as did the last owner (who still calls me on a quarterly basis to ask me how the old girl is doing, and asks for pictures). He wouldn't let me take it away on the trailer until his own personal service guy verified the tie-downs were secure so nothing would happen to it.

My wife wants a jeep. I'm trying to convince her she'd really like a Roadster instead. I already have the infrastructure for it. :)

I know, right? My practical side says I should trade it in, move on. But then I have a visceral reaction along the lines of, 'Not only no. HELL no!'. I figure I have a year to deal with the emotional side. And if I can't, I'm sure I can find justification here on the forum as to why I MUST keep it. (I love you guys.)
You bet -- there's a reason why British gentry keep both the Rolls and the Aston Martin 2-seater. Very different sorts of fun. I'm sure that the Model X is not going to be a car you can toss around the streets like the Roadster.