Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 To Be Unveiled On March 31st http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-debuts-march-31st-higher-options-cars-made-first/

Tesla Model 3 Debuts March 31st, Higher Optioned Cars Made First

Tesla hit on just about all cylinders when announcing Q4 results after the bell on Wednesday, and the Model 3 was no exception.
Tesla CEO: Model 3 Entry Level Car To Be produced First – Premium Version Later

Fulfilling an earlier promise my CEO Elon Musk to show off the EV in March, Tesla announced the actual reveal date.
And in true Tesla style, it will be a last minute affair – March 31st.
The company also re-iterated this week that the 200 mile EV will also have a pre-incentive MSRP starting from $35,000.
Given past history, we had assumed that Tesla might prioritize the more heavier optioned/higher priced Model 3 orders, pushing back those looking for the entry level model…as it had done with both the Model S and Model X. Update: Tesla will indeed release more expense versions ahead of entry level cars.
“Our default plan as we have done in the past is that the initial sales are relatively highly optioned versions of the car, because we’ve got to pay back the investment of the tooling and everything, so it makes sense to have the higher optioned versions first. That’s what we did with the S and obviously again with the X.”
So, it appears that the “everyman’s” affordable Tesla will have to wait at least until 2018.
However, Musk did note there was some issues/confusion with the wider media on early Model X pricing reports, as initial Signature Series models misrepresented the true price. We should note that the “pricing pain” might have been a bit self-inflicted, as Tesla did not release any other trim or pricing information on the all-electric SUV until long after the Signature pricing was announced.

Tesla also said that production and deliveries were on track for late 2017.
If there was bit of not-so-good news, it also came from the press conference, where Elon Musk said the company likely won’t be showing “all their cards”, meaning we may only be getting some initial looks at the EV, but not all the specs. Despite that, Tesla will also start accepting deposits on the Model 3 at the same time.

Yesterday I just got my confirmation for the factory tour on April 1. No joke. So.... How do I now get a ticket for the unveiling event a day before?!? Hmmmmmmmmm [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

The timing on this couldn't be better. My wife just accepted a job where she gets to WFH 3 days/week. I've been saving for my next car ever since I bought my last car (June 2014/'15 Audi A3)...and by the time my loaded Model 3 is delivered, I'll be able to buy it cash, and worry about resale of the Audi going back into my savings account.

So yea...look for me on March 31st at either the Natick Mall or the Prudential Center...Haven't decided yet....I'll be the guy with the goofy grin (although that might not narrow it down much).

50 days officially!

(I used 50, because this will result in us saying "1" the day of the reveal. That makes sense to me since it will likely be at the end of the day, and "1" can change into "9 hours, 8 hours, etc." . Let me know if that doesn't sound cool.)

When I was in the Navy and we were counting down days until returning from our deployments, we always called that "and a wake up".....

So "50 and a wake up" works here. On the morning of that 51st day, you'll be standing in line.

(Well, I will....)

If I play hooky for a full day, I can take the T in. I live along the commuter line.

But I'll likely only blow off the morning, go to Natick, plunk down my money, and go back to work.

That's assume they are taking reservations first thing in the morning. I assume they will take reservations immediately following the reveal (that's the only thing that would seem to make sense).

That's assume they are taking reservations first thing in the morning. I assume they will take reservations immediately following the reveal (that's the only thing that would seem to make sense).

True, but you have to think that they're going to do it earlier than they have for other reveals. I'm thinking Noon ET? 9am PT?

Remember, this is the car for the masses now....it wouldn't hurt numbers overall, but to do another late evening reveal (East Coast time) would be a little bit of a mixed message Public Relations-wise.

We'll learn more in the weeks to come...and us East Coast'ers will plan accordingly.

True, but you have to think that they're going to do it earlier than they have for other reveals. I'm thinking Noon ET? 9am PT?

Remember, this is the car for the masses now....it wouldn't hurt numbers overall, but to do another late evening reveal (East Coast time) would be a little bit of a mixed message Public Relations-wise.

We'll learn more in the weeks to come...and us East Coast'ers will plan accordingly.

Apple always does it's reveals at 10am PST. Works for them.

So yea...look for me on March 31st at either the Natick Mall or the Prudential Center...Haven't decided yet....I'll be the guy with the goofy grin (although that might not narrow it down much).

Based on that description, folks might have a hard time telling us apart. I work about 5 minutes away from the Natick Mall, so if they do the reveal earlier in the day (which I am hoping they will do), that's where I'll be as well.

If they do the reveal at their usual 7-8pm PST time, I wonder if they'll keep the Dedham store open later that night, since it wouldn't be affected by mall hours.

Based on that description, folks might have a hard time telling us apart. I work about 5 minutes away from the Natick Mall, so if they do the reveal earlier in the day (which I am hoping they will do), that's where I'll be as well.

If they do the reveal at their usual 7-8pm PST time, I wonder if they'll keep the Dedham store open later that night, since it wouldn't be affected by mall hours.

I'm pretty sure they won't do reservations before the reveal (because that just doesn't make any sense--why wait all the way until the day of the reveal, but then have people put down reservations just before getting to see what they are reserving). It also seems really problematic to be doing all the in store reservations late at night (especially on the east coast). Therefore I have to think the reveal will be earlier in the day. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure they won't do reservations before the reveal (because that just doesn't make any sense--why wait all the way until the day of the reveal, but then have people put down reservations just before getting to see what they are reserving). It also seems really problematic to be doing all the in store reservations late at night (especially on the east coast). Therefore I have to think the reveal will be earlier in the day. We'll see.

Or, in the ultimate tease, and maybe to garner some of those "camping out overnight" news stories they show everytime Apple adds a few megapixels to the latest iPhone.....

The "reveal" gets moved up to its usual late evening timeslot...on the 30th, giving those on the East Coast a chance to grab their sleeping bags and head to a Gallery......

Or, in the ultimate tease, and maybe to garner some of those "camping out overnight" news stories they show everytime Apple adds a few megapixels to the latest iPhone.....

The "reveal" gets moved up to its usual late evening timeslot...on the 30th, giving those on the East Coast a chance to grab their sleeping bags and head to a Gallery......

I thought of that, but they've said the reveal is on the 31st, so it seems unlikely. Another option is that rather than having stores with lines, they will have simultaneous reveal events in each store with tickets available though some means (register online, the normal mystery mailing list, line up early in the day for tickets) and the in store registration afterwards will be for people at the event (they still would probably need to move the event a little earlier so that it wasn't really late at night on the east coast).

well thats really annoying - all of my "reserve button click" exercises where all for nothing.
I drive past a Tesla store every day, I'm betting it will be busier than normal on the 31st.
I've booked the day off just in case :)