Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy a used 2016 P100D with 40K miles from out of state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Guys,

I own a model 3 and very much impressed by the car and its functionality. I am looking to become all tesla house by selling my previous car and getting a model s P100D.

I have my eyes on a few Model S P100Ds near me, but they have ~40K+ miles on them and they are 2016. My budget is around 80K give or take.
My question is, is it still OK to buy one with 40K plus mileage or will i run into issues a couple of years down the line. I owned the model 3 for about a year and half and had no problems and i put in 18K miles on it.

Price out a new car, prices have fallen drastically and the used market is often not reflecting it.

In 2016 maybe it was a $130k car. 4 years later $80k might seem like appropriate depreciation, but if today the same car with more range is $100k I am not going to pay $80k for a 4 year old car.

Price out a new car, prices have fallen drastically and the used market is often not reflecting it.

In 2016 maybe it was a $130k car. 4 years later $80k might seem like appropriate depreciation, but if today the same car with more range is $100k I am not going to pay $80k for a 4 year old car.

If i buy from a tesla website, can i negotiate with them directly ? I really had eyes on a couple of red P100Ds with 21 inch wheels, around 75 to 78K with 35 to 40K miles on it, and they both are gone in like 2 to 3 days.

No negotiating of used cars. The prices randomly decrease a few hundred bucks (give or take) every few days. If you watch individual cars you can find good deals sometimes but more often than not someone else is willing to overpay & will swipe it out from under you.

All that said, and I rarely if ever suggest buying new, look at a brand new Long Range Model S. 0-60 is rated at 3.7 seconds with many reporting that low 3's is more realistic for real world numbers. Couple that with a 373-mile range for right around your budget & you've got an insanely good value in these cars.

• Love
Reactions: croman and SSedan
Hello Guys,

I own a model 3 and very much impressed by the car and its functionality. I am looking to become all tesla house by selling my previous car and getting a model s P100D.

I have my eyes on a few Model S P100Ds near me, but they have ~40K+ miles on them and they are 2016. My budget is around 80K give or take.
My question is, is it still OK to buy one with 40K plus mileage or will i run into issues a couple of years down the line. I owned the model 3 for about a year and half and had no problems and i put in 18K miles on it.

~40K miles IMHO is perfect as it would be plenty of time to shake off any issues.

The biggest thing I would look for is a shudder at full acceleration which requires replacement of the two half shafts plus clevis mount but it is fully covered by warranty and TSB. A P100D is just about the best car you can buy. You'll love it. Especially for long trips.

I also suggest reaching out directly to a sales person/client adviser at a local Tesla sales center. Last month, I was telling a close friend (who has over 20 referrals under the original referral system, and is treated pretty well by his local Tesla center) that I was somewhat considering a Tesla, but that I could not find anything in the price range (under $65k USD) that I wanted in a Model S that had all wheel drive, free supercharging, and at least the capability to have full self driving (meaning, at least HW 2.0/cameras on the fenders). And condition had to be very good to excellent. And I was not going to pay $2k shipping for anything found far away. As you might imagine, nothing remotely close popped up in my search online.

My friend contacted his sales person, and within about a few hours, she called him back and said that she found an inventory car that was new (never titled) that "wasnt listed online yet". And that if she uploaded it, I'd have to very quickly select it/put the deposit on it to secure it. Ended up getting a 2017 90D with 1200 miles(not 12 thousand..hundred), with supercharging, enhanced auto pilot, sunroof, premium interior, premium black leather seats, smart air suspension, hi amp charger upgrade, black alcantara headliner, blue metallic paint. (Sticker was included, at $109k when new). Took delivery and it was about as close to new as one could get. Not a scratch on it, still had/has new car smell. And of course, the full warranty. $62k last December. (I think thats a good price? Not sure).

So, sometimes it appears that the sales persons can access cars that may not be visible to the public.

I would be wary of a used P100D with that much mileage. Anyone who purchased a P did so with the intention of taking advantage of the power.
Ie. extra wear and tear on the chassis, suspension, motors etc

it’s like purchasing a used Bmw M5 or E55 AMG. How many tiles had it been floored, driven harshly? One would never know this.

This one may not be, but I’m speaking of the average likelihood of a P car being driven gently!

I would be wary of a used P100D with that much mileage. Anyone who purchased a P did so with the intention of taking advantage of the power.

it’s like purchasing a used Bmw M5 or E55 AMG. How many tiles had it been floored, driven harshly? One would never know this.

This one may not be, but I’m speaking of the average likelihood of a P car being driven gently!

The mechanical load put on a P100D is just a fraction of the stress put on a bucket load of parts in an ICE car. I would not worry about 40,000 miles on a P100D one bit. The P100D drive train and battery have an 8 year old warranty. Something a Mercedes AMG does not have.

If it were me, I'd get the P100D with the 40K miles without any concern and just pay for the ESA warranty just in case and enjoy the car.

Anyone who purchased a P did so with the intention of taking advantage of the power. Ie. extra wear and tear on the chassis, suspension, motors etc. It’s like purchasing a used Bmw M5 or E55 AMG. How many times had it been floored, driven harshly? One would never know this. This one may not be, but I’m speaking of the average likelihood of a P car being driven gently!
I'll have you know I drive Tessie like a 73-year-old man. Gently and respectful of the car's powertrain.

Except when I don't.

Reactions: croman
I also suggest reaching out directly to a sales person/client adviser at a local Tesla sales center. Last month, I was telling a close friend (who has over 20 referrals under the original referral system, and is treated pretty well by his local Tesla center) that I was somewhat considering a Tesla, but that I could not find anything in the price range (under $65k USD) that I wanted in a Model S that had all wheel drive, free supercharging, and at least the capability to have full self driving (meaning, at least HW 2.0/cameras on the fenders). And condition had to be very good to excellent. And I was not going to pay $2k shipping for anything found far away. As you might imagine, nothing remotely close popped up in my search online.

My friend contacted his sales person, and within about a few hours, she called him back and said that she found an inventory car that was new (never titled) that "wasnt listed online yet". And that if she uploaded it, I'd have to very quickly select it/put the deposit on it to secure it. Ended up getting a 2017 90D with 1200 miles(not 12 thousand..hundred), with supercharging, enhanced auto pilot, sunroof, premium interior, premium black leather seats, smart air suspension, hi amp charger upgrade, black alcantara headliner, blue metallic paint. (Sticker was included, at $109k when new). Took delivery and it was about as close to new as one could get. Not a scratch on it, still had/has new car smell. And of course, the full warranty. $62k last December. (I think thats a good price? Not sure).

So, sometimes it appears that the sales persons can access cars that may not be visible to the public.

Thank you for the tip, i have about 5 referrals myself and i own a model 3, so may be i can ask for a favor. :)

No negotiating of used cars. The prices randomly decrease a few hundred bucks (give or take) every few days. If you watch individual cars you can find good deals sometimes but more often than not someone else is willing to overpay & will swipe it out from under you.

All that said, and I rarely if ever suggest buying new, look at a brand new Long Range Model S. 0-60 is rated at 3.7 seconds with many reporting that low 3's is more realistic for real world numbers. Couple that with a 373-mile range for right around your budget & you've got an insanely good value in these cars.

Indeed, the price on a Red 2016 P100D went down almost 1200 dollars in a 3 day time period and right around when i went to buy it, it was gone. Will look into the other option as well, but i really love the P models, i own the performance model 3 and with all the updates i can comfortably do a 3 second 0 to 60 consistently.

Also, i am a Nissan GTR owner previously, so i love launching :)

absolutely agree

The mechanical load put on a P100D is just a fraction of the stress put on a bucket load of parts in an ICE car. I would not worry about 40,000 miles on a P100D one bit. The P100D drive train and battery have an 8 year old warranty. Something a Mercedes AMG does not have.

If it were me, I'd get the P100D with the 40K miles without any concern and just pay for the ESA warranty just in case and enjoy the car.

thank you Sir

I'll have you know I drive Tessie like a 73-year-old man. Gently and respectful of the car's powertrain.

Except when I don't.

I was referring to the likelihood of a P vehicle being driven for what it was originally purchased for...the P :)

I’m sure for some the novelty of the launch wears off and for others it’s a dopamine rush constantly.
I know...I used to own one and purposely ‘downgraded my to a 100D to curtail my inner desire lol.

Perfectly normal to assume a P vehicle will be driven as such more often resulting in more stress to all aspects of the car.

If your going to purchase the used P, do yourself a favour and ask tesla to provide the stats on how many times the car has been launched. They have it available and tracked for warranty purposes. At least they used to on the P85D and P90DL. When I owned mine in 2017, it was an inventory car with 1.5k on it. They told me it had been launched 6x in that 4 months period and the rest was an avg wh/km. Good enough for me.

Also do watch the half shafts and jack shaft. They cause the dreaded shudder at hard acceleration off the line. Hopefully you test drive it once before purchasing!

And finally, ask for a repair history. This may shed some light on how it was driven. Not unreasonable requests for a bullet on wheels!

Good luck :)

Last edited: