Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy first Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, new to the forum, lots of great info here. Working on buying a M3 LR AWD. Currently I have a 14 ELR and before that a 11 Volt. The ELR has 110k on it and it has been a great car with little to no issues. Just scheduled oil changes and one set of tires. I drive about 27k a year.

I initially included used MS in the mix but found pricing to be all over the place, lots of off rental cars, etc. I stopped by the Cherry Hill store and looked at/test drove the M3. It was nice, inside is sparce but the ride and acceleration were fantastic. I was going to wait a bit but read about free paint/wheel upgrades and or 2 year super charging (looks like that may be a sore subject...)

I was undecided on a SR plus or LR AWD, decided to just go with the extra range, the most I drive in a day is 180-200 and that is fairly rare, but 240 seemed a bit too close.

I called in and was able to secure an in stock M3 LR AWD red wth 19" wheels for 48k. I did get the discount and VIN a few days later.

So my questons are:

During the delivery process is there anything I should ask or focus on? Should I take it for a drive before signing? I have read alot about panel gaps and wind noise at speed. Are those still issues?

How many drive over 20k per year? Any thing I should consider? I do have the ability to charge from home.

Anyone using a standard level 2 charger with the adapter? The adapert comes with the car, correct? I will need to get the pig tail to charge with the Tesla unit.

For recording while driving is there a specific type off jump drive I should buy?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Joe was my advisor at cherry hill. Friendly guy. Tim does delivery, also great. I drive the expressway everyday for work and I don’t have any noise coming in on my M3. Inspect it thoroughly as mine still had tape residue throughout but Tim will grab the detailed and have him remove anything they looked over.

One side note.. during all the demonstrations it’s connected to WiFi. I left and I didn’t have cellular data on my screen. Had to bring it back 2 days later and they had to replace the computer because it wasn’t connecting to the data chip. Service said it was probably overlooked because 90% of the time it’s inside during inspections it’s connected to WiFi.

Good move with the AWD. The extra miles are way too close, you don’t want to be in that situation. I just got my home charger installed and my 90% was 285 miles. You’ll be golden.

Good luck! I missed the 2 years free supercharging by like 2 days. Let me know if you need a referral code because I could use those miles!

Thanks!![/QUOTE]
Joe was my advisor at cherry hill. Friendly guy. Tim does delivery, also great. I drive the expressway everyday for work and I don’t have any noise coming in on my M3. Inspect it thoroughly as mine still had tape residue throughout but Tim will grab the detailed and have him remove anything they looked over.

One side note.. during all the demonstrations it’s connected to WiFi. I left and I didn’t have cellular data on my screen. Had to bring it back 2 days later and they had to replace the computer because it wasn’t connecting to the data chip. Service said it was probably overlooked because 90% of the time it’s inside during inspections it’s connected to WiFi.

Good move with the AWD. The extra miles are way too close, you don’t want to be in that situation. I just got my home charger installed and my 90% was 285 miles. You’ll be golden.

Good luck! I missed the 2 years free supercharging by like 2 days. Let me know if you need a referral code because I could use those miles!

Thanks! I will check the cellular connection. Did you test drive it too? They grabbed a random code for the referral... still trying to figure the whole process out... lol.

Also anyone know how to edit a post?

I wouldn't worry too much about driving before signing, but take a look around and underneath(some people have had damaged jack points), open all the doors and trunk to take a look at gaskets and paint.

Then get out of there and drive it like you are it. The strange feeling of incredible acceleration does fade off if you're constantly doing some quick launches, but don't worry a day or two of calm driving brings it right back.

Thanks! I will check the cellular connection. Did you test drive it too? They grabbed a random code for the referral... still trying to figure the whole process out... lol.

Also anyone know how to edit a post?

I didn’t test drive it, no. I trusted it would be okay and it’s been amazing. Aside from the computer not working and needing to be replaced all has been amazing. That was annoying but they gave me a loaner performance model s which was fun to drive for a day and a half lol.

I called in and was able to secure an in stock M3 LR AWD red wth 19" wheels for 48k. I did get the discount and VIN a few days later.

So my questons are:

During the delivery process is there anything I should ask or focus on? Should I take it for a drive before signing? I have read alot about panel gaps and wind noise at speed. Are those still issues?

I would inspect the car as if you were buying it used.
Look for paint damage, interior scratches, paint over spray, mis-aligned panels, etc, etc. Sadly, that is what a buyer of a new Tesla has to catch, if he wants those items to be documented and repaired.

Anyone using a standard level 2 charger with the adapter? The adapert comes with the car, correct? I will need to get the pig tail to charge with the Tesla unit./QUOTE]

Yes.
Yes.
No. You don't need J1772 adopter for Tesla's SuperChargers (if that's what you are referring to as a "pig tail"), but it will come in handy if you travel and need to charge from a 3rd party L2 charging station (EVgo, ChargePoint, etc).

For recording while driving is there a specific type off jump drive I should buy?

I think you are referring to SD cards with USB adopters. Any one will do, just format it FAT32.
I never bothered, since I don't see any value in that functionality. But to each his own.

HTH,
a

Hello, new to the forum, lots of great info here. Working on buying a M3 LR AWD. Currently I have a 14 ELR and before that a 11 Volt. The ELR has 110k on it and it has been a great car with little to no issues. Just scheduled oil changes and one set of tires. I drive about 27k a year.

I initially included used MS in the mix but found pricing to be all over the place, lots of off rental cars, etc. I stopped by the Cherry Hill store and looked at/test drove the M3. It was nice, inside is sparce but the ride and acceleration were fantastic. I was going to wait a bit but read about free paint/wheel upgrades and or 2 year super charging (looks like that may be a sore subject...)

I was undecided on a SR plus or LR AWD, decided to just go with the extra range, the most I drive in a day is 180-200 and that is fairly rare, but 240 seemed a bit too close.

So my questons are:

How many drive over 20k per year? Any thing I should consider? I do have the ability to charge from home.

Anyone using a standard level 2 charger with the adapter? The adapert comes with the car, correct? I will need to get the pig tail to charge with the Tesla unit.

Thanks!!

I rented a model 3 and a model S , before placing my order on august 30th 2019 for a M3 performance.
Did 1000 km with each car, on the same road in the French and Swiss alps.
Made my mind then for model 3 for 2 reasons :
- the range left after my trip were higher with model 3.
- in the S, I felt being closer to a regular car, interiror wise, while in teh 3 it felt like being in the future ! (only my personnal feeling).

Comfort wise did not felt a big difference so both cars were ok for me , and I drive a lot ( about 35000 km per year minimum).
Both cars had a correct finish, no major gaps in teh manels ( although not perfect) but you have to be picky to complain about this.

That price seems “low” for what you’re getting. Is it used?

No, its new. I am getting a credit for the paint and wheels. I was able to get in on the free upgrade deal offered on 9-13, so I jumped on it. I have read in other posts it may have been removed as it wasn't properly used. I was fortunate to get it. Still trying to figure out the "process" for buying a Tesla. It was very strange, the sales staff was very helpful and did try to get me to put down a deposit the three times I stopped over the last few weeks leading up to me finally pulling the trigger. Actually I was there last Tuesday and the salesperson said if I had bought the day before he could have offered me a free upgrade to 19" wheels... I see lots of posts about everyone paying the same price but it appears, at least in my area they can offer different discounts anytime.

I rented a model 3 and a model S , before placing my order on august 30th 2019 for a M3 performance.
Did 1000 km with each car, on the same road in the French and Swiss alps.
Made my mind then for model 3 for 2 reasons :
- the range left after my trip were higher with model 3.
- in the S, I felt being closer to a regular car, interiror wise, while in teh 3 it felt like being in the future ! (only my personnal feeling).

Comfort wise did not felt a big difference so both cars were ok for me , and I drive a lot ( about 35000 km per year minimum).
Both cars had a correct finish, no major gaps in teh manels ( although not perfect) but you have to be picky to complain about this.

Good idea! I drove a few used MS, they were nice and more "car" like, lol. I also didn't notice a big difference between the two models ride wise, the M3 seats seemed more comfortable to me. I will have to get used to the "basic" look of M3 interior, I am sure most people felt the same. Just looks like something is missing :D

What is a pigtail? - no you don't need something like that. Just the "Mobile Connector" that comes with the car is sufficient.

You can purchase various adapters (between the wall and the mobile connector) that let you charge at higher current (20, 30, 40, 50 Amps approx), but you will need to have an electrician come and install you an outlet or learn how to install one yourself.

Thanks!!

Jump drive - This is the one that I bought and it works well. $10 is the amount that you will pay for a good-quality thumb drive, maybe $7 if you search around, but who cares. There are a lot of fakes and worthless drives, even on Amazon, so looking for a "deal" will cost you. Yes, I bought a worthless drive as a spare on Amazon and had to return it. Even with 4-5 star reviews, people don't test them. Others may have links, they are all fine, just don't go looking for "deals".

I bought a second, so that I can remove it from the car (to view/store) and still have one installed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7SX9NS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. I drive over 20K per year 127K now. Nothing to think about.
2. At home either get an HPWC or install a 14-50. No need to use the adapter at home, the 14-50 pigtail will work just fine if you go with the 14-50 route.
3. Even if you get the HPWC, it's still a good idea to have the 14-50 for charging at RV parks--either because you like camping, stay at a B&B where they've installed a 14-50, or in case of an emergency. The UMC only comes with a 120V pigtail and if you are doing more than 20K per year, that won't be enough.
4. Charging at home is one of the big advantages. I've never charged away from home except on trips. (FWIW, I have a 14-50 at home).

Hi,
would please detail how to check you get EAP?
I've ordered my M3P no FSD just regular autopilot, havent received it yet, but I want too to get sure all is there once I get the car.
Thats the setup I have and from what I can tell now it's 'stock' on all model 3s at this point. I'm sure your car will have it but to make sure it's functioning properly, while driving on a highway with well marked lines push the right level on the steering wheel all the way down twice. You'll hear and see and likely feel ap engage.

I will note that if your a complete newb like I was to tesla, you do have to enable auto steer and click through the disclaimer. I didn't think mine was working and had to figure out how to enable it.

Enjoy!

Reactions: david_42
Depending on what car you are coming from, the wind nose may be an issue for you (especially on the highway). The wind noise is significantly higher than my 2011 BMW 3 series and a bit higher than my 2007 Camry
Owned a 16 Camry for a while, and still own ICE cars. My 3 has wind noise coming from the right rear window starting at 50mph. Currently waiting to see what service can do about it.

Tesla is frequently out of 14-50 adapters, and for some stupid reason they are not included with new M3s. Order one now, even if you don't think you need it now. It gives you a lot of flexibility.

The regular Tesla wall adapter is very worthwhile. If appropriately hardwired, it can charge a M3 at 48 amps. A 14-50 can only charge at 32 A to follow NEC code.

I average over 2000 miles per month, and have no problems. I really like having fastest possible charging at home - for my X, that's 72 A. Several times a late arrival home and early departure would have been annoying if I didn't have faster charging.

FA18D32A-8537-466D-931F-3F13B927170D.png
Depending on what car you are coming from, the wind nose may be an issue for you (especially on the highway). The wind noise is significantly higher than my 2011 BMW 3 series and a bit higher than my 2007 Camry

I read a lot about this so I took a measurement of the db’s in my Cadillac ELR today. Pictured below. From what I have read some people are reporting 75ish db’s, ELR was a bit quieter, not much. This was driving on electric, no engine.