Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to cancel order due to removal of USS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I placed the order for a MY earlier this year, the USS was still installed on all cars. It was only AFTER I placed the order that they decided to remove all USS. My wife and I have never drove a car without some kind of parking assist, and I do not want to buy a $95k CAD car without something that other $40k cars should have. Yes I know Tesla is infamously stubborn for not refunding the deposit, but if they change a car's configuration AFTER I place a deposit, there must be some legal grounds for getting my deposit back, as it's no longer the product I purchased? It's like buying a computer with a touchscreen, then after taking your money they tell you it no longer has a touchscreen, and refusing to refund the money. Tesla can literally remove anything in their car at any time by this logic, and people are still stuck with buying it unless they forfeit the deposit. Has anyone succeeded in getting their deposit back on the grounds of USS being removed as a critical feature?

Have you asked Tesla if they will refund the $250? I'd start there. The $250 is handled differently between US and Canada. In US it doesn't become part of your purchase price. In Canada it is subtracted from your price on the final MVPA. Not sure how that will affect whether you can request a refund for changes to what you ordered. But people's experiences in the US may not apply to Canada.

Tesla has promised parking distances via Vision camera system coming soon. Some dealers have told people it should be available early 2023.
So it may be a very short lived deficiency on the non-USS cars.

Have you asked Tesla if they will refund the $250? I'd start there. The $250 is handled differently between US and Canada. In US it doesn't become part of your purchase price. In Canada it is subtracted from your price on the final MVPA. Not sure how that will affect whether you can request a refund for changes to what you ordered. But people's experiences in the US may not apply to Canada.

Tesla has promised parking distances via Vision camera system coming soon. Some dealers have told people it should be available early 2023.
So it may be a very short lived deficiency on the non-USS cars.
I did, and they said no refunds. Tried two reps already. I was wondering if I can escalate it to someone higher up, but they even told me there's no escalation process at Tesla, everything is extremely rigid, even more so than Apple.

I guess I can do a chargeback - but what are the repercussions of that? They can go ahead and ban my email if they want, I can just create another inbox and bypass that if I want to buy it next year?

You don't purchase the vehicle until you purchase the vehicle.

Unfortunately, I think you're fighting a lost cause. Tesla could have changed any number of features prior to your purchase such as interior colors, paint colors, number of USB ports, type of wheels/tires, new headlamp design, etc etc and none of that is going to give you the moral high ground to expect a return of your order fee. You probably knew this when you paid the order fee but thought there was little chance of anything giving you reason to abandon a purchase. Now, you have buyer's remorse but unfortunately for you no real legal recourse (unless there is a local jurisdiction law that treats order fees differently than most).

Last edited:
Consumer laws vary across jurisdictions but in any sane country a deposit would be refundable if the vendor changes the spec of the product, otherwise the entire concept of a contract for sale breaks down.

Additionally, I believe the Tesla order wording says : ‘For any changes that would materially affect your order, including changes to the range, speed or acceleraton of your vehicle that were shown at the time your order was placed, we will notify you about this change prior to delivery of your Vehicle and you may cancel your order within 14 days of such notification, in which case you will receive a full refund of any Order Fee you paid.’

Edit to expand on the above: this wording is in the small print of the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement document which will be dated whatever date you ordered a vehicle including USS and the features it enables.

Consumer laws vary across jurisdictions but in any sane country a deposit would be refundable if the vendor changes the spec of the product, otherwise the entire concept of a contract for sale breaks down.

Additionally, I believe the Tesla order wording says : ‘For any changes that would materially affect your order, including changes to the range, speed or acceleraton of your vehicle that were shown at the time your order was placed, we will notify you about this change prior to delivery of your Vehicle and you may cancel your order within 14 days of such notification, in which case you will receive a full refund of any Order Fee you paid.’

Edit to expand on the above: this wording is in the small print of the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement document which will be dated whatever date you ordered a vehicle including USS and the features it enables.
I think you're confusing the Order Fee with the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement (OP had/has not yet signed).

Tesla is very careful (at least in the US) to ensure the "order fee" is NOT a deposit. They also include language in the order agreement that specifically addresses how they feel they have already earned the order fee.

Im certainly not saying people dont have a point here, especially when the product spec has changed. I would feel personally how the OP here mentions they feel. I am just saying that its not a deposit, and tesla has been very careful to ensure its not called that, even though thats what most people think of it as.

Yes I know Tesla is infamously stubborn for not refunding the deposit, but if they change a car's configuration AFTER I place a deposit, there must be some legal grounds for getting my deposit back,
I'm going to bet that other cars you bought in the past have changed some configuration of the car before you got it. I know that half of my cars did over the decades. I doubt there is any legal precedence for getting a deposit back. Sorry to hear you are disappointed with the change. For me it would not be a deal breaker, but sure I understand some folks would be disappointed. Side note, my wife has your money.

Reactions: xcyber
I don't blame you at all for wanting to cancel. The problem with getting your money back is that the fee was to order the car. Tesla is very careful to make no gaurantee as to features or inclusions. They do lock in the price at time of order which is good. It sucks that they removed the USS before having a working solution in place. I would be equally upset but I am afraid the only choice is to either accept the car and wait for an OTA update or refuse delivery. You could try to drag is out as long as possible to allow more time for the update. If it were me I would just reject or place the order on hold for as long as possible.

Reactions: BitJam
Has anyone tried disputing the $250 with their creditcard company? There is so much legacy wording on tesla's website that you can probably argue they're advertising one thing and selling another. After placing an order for an end-of-the-year $7500 discount since they were estimating delivery by the end of the year which never came (thankfully), we plan to do this since we're no longer in the market for a new one, deciding to buy a used 2022 for USS.

The removal of USS and Tesla Vision not being ready is a huge issue, I think this is going to help maintain the value of cars built after 1/22 that have the Ryzen chipset and USS since we all know how long Tesla can take for software and hardware releases....

I see this argument used often, even by Elon Musk himself. It really makes no sense.
What’s confusing about it?

You can’t complain when the price drops after you took delivery of a car at the price you signed.

Especially if you’re not willing to pay Tesla back when the price increases if you bought the car for a lower price.

When I placed the order for a MY earlier this year, the USS was still installed on all cars. It was only AFTER I placed the order that they decided to remove all USS. My wife and I have never drove a car without some kind of parking assist, and I do not want to buy a $95k CAD car without something that other $40k cars should have. Yes I know Tesla is infamously stubborn for not refunding the deposit, but if they change a car's configuration AFTER I place a deposit, there must be some legal grounds for getting my deposit back, as it's no longer the product I purchased? It's like buying a computer with a touchscreen, then after taking your money they tell you it no longer has a touchscreen, and refusing to refund the money. Tesla can literally remove anything in their car at any time by this logic, and people are still stuck with buying it unless they forfeit the deposit. Has anyone succeeded in getting their deposit back on the grounds of USS being removed as a critical feature?
So cancel it, nobody cares what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.