Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to sell my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had chosen the Model 3 Long Range option with 19" trim and the multi-coat red color. I paid $3000 extra for this option. Tesla just contacted me today saying that they'd like to deliver the vehicle by end of July.

I am trying to sell the vehicle since we realized that it'll be a small car for our family (should've realized that before I paid the $2500 to design the car:( ). What's the best option to sell my Model 3 at the price that I bought?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Attachments

• Tesla Model 3.JPG
    Tesla Model 3.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 82
I have no idea if this is the right/best path, but were I in your shoes I would formally and politely explain the situation to Tesla in e-mail and ask them if there are any options they recommend other than (a) losing your deposit or (b) taking delivery. When discreetly and politely handled, sometimes Tesla has been generous in accommodating "situations" that arise -- sometimes with an NDA attached.

The formal policy is that your only options are (a) and (b) so discretion is important as precedent and "public noise" forces their hand.

@SeattleSG Considering tax and registration, you could stand to lose more than the deposit by going through with the purchase and attempting to flip it right away.

My suspicion is that the best options are:

1. Plead with Tesla to have mercy.

2. Cut your losses and cancel the order outright.

3. Proceed with the purchase and use the car for a year. Assuming the tax credit is not extended (I believe the Dems are currently sponsoring a bill) used cars would be compared to new car pricing without the $7500 rebate. This is a big gamble, but could give you use of a car for a year at little cost.

Reactions: mongo
It will be rough to get what you paid, because the tax credit it coming your way, not the new persons way, and I am pretty sure it is too late to change name on the tesla account.
If you keep and can use the full tax credit, you don't lose to sell the car at a $7500 loss as long as you don't pay sales tax. In most states the used buyer also pays sales tax. So that money is GONE.

Better to find a buyer before you take delivery and avoid the tax issue. If you go the Craigslist route...

seattle for sale "tesla "model 3"" - craigslist

...try "Free Plus Tax Credit" as a title since there are so many.

Last edited: