Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like Tesla brought back the standard range Model S and X!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is actually interesting... I'm interested in buying range up front, but if I already had a lower mileage car, I wouldn't pay thousands of usd to unlock more range. Strange.
Buyers had the 60D model that came as a locked 75D. Option to unlock further down the road.

Its both range and performance I suppose.
At some point, value would equate. depending on individual needs. Ie: commute increased, more trips than planned…number of reasons. Perhaps winter in N states/can results in too low of a range once someone goes through it 🤷🏽‍♂️

Does anyone know when would the 2024 model years start manufacturing wise (at least based on previous years trends?)? If I order one, I want to submit my order in a timely manner so that it is labeled as 2024 model year not 2023 (at least as far as re-sale value, might be more attractive).

Does anyone know when would the 2024 model years start manufacturing wise (at least based on previous years trends?)? If I order one, I want to submit my order in a timely manner so that it is labeled as 2024 model year not 2023 (at least as far as re-sale value, might be more attractive).
That's very hard to pinpoint, given Tesla will pull orders in whenever possible to deliver revenue at year-end. So you basically have to wait until the expected delivery date says January-February or later. Even then, Tesla might try to deliver a car that someone else has canceled.

That's very hard to pinpoint, given Tesla will pull orders in whenever possible to deliver revenue at year-end. So you basically have to wait until the expected delivery date says January-February or later. Even then, Tesla might try to deliver a car that someone else has canceled.
Yes I get that, but isn't possible for them to still label a vehicle as a Model Year 2024, and sell it in October, while it would still count as part of the 2023 sale numbers? That's what all other manufacturers do. In fact, BMW X7 model year 2024 has been selling since April 1st 2023!!!!!! crazy... I know in the past Tesla used to release the new/following year label on the cars around October? Am I wrong? So that's what am asking about, how did previous trends look like?

My car was made in October 2022, and I bought it at the end of December 2022 as a inventory car. It's a 2023.

Usually November is when the next model year starts. But that is meaningless. Tesla does not add features based on model year. Feature change is continuous throughout time. Incentives are also not based on model year. They are based on when you buy the car. Don't worry about model year.

Yes I get that, but isn't possible for them to still label a vehicle as a Model Year 2024, and sell it in October, while it would still count as part of the 2023 sale numbers?
In the US, a model year N car may be manufactured from January 1, N-1 to December 31, N.

An example of an early start was the 1984 Chevrolet Corvette, which began production in January 1983 after GM skipped the 1983 model year for that car.

An example of a late finish was the 2006 VW diesel cars, which did not meet 2007 emissions requirements, so VW continued production of 2006 model year diesel cars through December 2006 even after changing non-diesel cars to the 2007 model year.

Usually November is when the next model year starts. But that is meaningless. Tesla does not add features based on model year. Feature change is continuous throughout time. Incentives are also not based on model year. They are based on when you buy the car. Don't worry about model year.
I get that, but I think at least from a future re-sale point of view and value, it might matter just a bit especially if sold in 2 or 3 years from now. In 2025, a Tesla Model S model year 2024 would have a different value than a 2023 model year sold in 2025. It might be an illusion, but I feel it could make a difference. I could be wrong, but that's how I feel even though the difference could be only 2-3K, which will match the value loss I will get by keeping my current car until Nov or renting a car until Nov now, so it might be a wash. I'll think about it.

Electrek is confirming that the new battery capacity option is in fact the same battery .Unfortunately their source is the salesman at various Tesla stores. So we still don't know officially. And, I'm afraid, electrek continues to drop in its quality.

Reactions: zoomer0056

In the last few years it has typically started at or near the beginning of Q4, therefore October,

I'd be interested to know the source of the "Tesla says" statement. Since they have been replacing the 85 batteries with 90s that are in fact new construction, simply 100s without one module, I don't know why they wouldn't use that battery in the standard range S and X that are new. I'd like a little more than somebody saying Tesla said before I take it as gospel.
Refresh S/X use a totally different battery architecture/config. The legacy 60/70/75/85/90/100 packs are not compatible.

• Informative
Reactions: E90alex
from a future re-sale point of view and value, it might matter just a bit especially if sold in 2 or 3 years from now. In 2025, a Tesla Model S model year 2024 would have a different value than a 2023 model year sold in 2025.

If you think you might sell your new Model S in 2-3 years and you are concerned with optimizing a few grand in resale value, those two things don't go together. Buying a Model S is about the mandatory enjoyment of losing buckets of cash as soon as you drive the car off the lot and for every year of ownership after that.

For example, I bought my car with multiple discounts stacked on top of each other with Tesla's desperate end of year incentives, which made my $102K before taxes. With taxes, that was $108K. Just 2 days prior it would have been $120K! It's current trade-in value with Tesla after only 8 months and 4,000 miles is max between $57-62K! Could be less if they found any wear and tear during inspection. It will keep tanking every year until it almost gets to zero.

Please buy a Lamborghini Urus if you are concerned with resale value. They almost don't depreciate. I wish I had.

.why wouldn't you go for the "long range" Model S with 400+ mi range...sure 10k cheaper is nice but also you're way down on range at 320mi.

if we were to find out this is in fact a software limited vehicle, then charging to 100% will be as if only charging to 80%. That may give you as much useable range on a given drive along with possibly a better battery degradation over time.

I’m curious why delivery times are different between standard and long range (non-Plaid) models if they’re identical hardware?

Perhaps they need time to figure out the software lock?

I think it's to keep us all guessing.