Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like Tesla brought back the standard range Model S and X!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. Still $88k for an X though… they gotta find a way to sneak an X under $79,999 for tax credit eligibility.
My completely unfounded prediction is that before calendar year 2023 is over, for that final Q4 push they may price a base model X to 79,999 to get last few cars out the door. I don't think they'll discount it near end of Q3

I'm a bit baffled by the Model S SR addition....who is it for? If you can swing ~80k on a new car....why wouldn't you go for the "long range" Model S with 400+ mi range...sure 10k cheaper is nice but also you're way down on range at 320mi.

I'm a bit baffled by the Model S SR addition....who is it for? If you can swing ~80k on a new car....why wouldn't you go for the "long range" Model S with 400+ mi range...sure 10k cheaper is nice but also you're way down on range at 320mi.
I’d seriously consider it as an owner of a late 2016 S75 that cost about $80k at the time ;)

Amazing how much more car you get now for the same price. I’ve been looking at replacements and generally thinking I’d end up in a 3/Y because $90k for an S is a good bit more than I want to spend. I don’t really need the range but greatly prefer the size and comfort of the S vs a 3 or Y. $78k is pretty tempting… $69,420 would be even better. ;)

I have a feeling that the standard 320 mile rated range will be closer to what you can actually get in the real world vs the long range 405, plus given it’s most likely software limited, you can charge to 100%.

And for long trips, that 405 rated range is actually overkill given how superchargers are spaced apart. What matters is charging speed, and the model s is a beast in that regard. The curve on the standard might actually better, relative to the range (again due to the likely software limited range vs smaller pack).

Will be interesting to see if that's the case or not. Personally I kinda doubt it but that's just a hunch...

That said, at the moment the specs page lists identical weights for the LR and standard range (4560 pounds), so it could be.
If it’s the same weight then it’s likely the same battery which means you can charge to 100%. The standard range is actually a great deal. Blazing fast charging to 100% at Superchargers and basically the same daily range as the long range at the recommended 80%. 300+ miles of range would be more than enough for me. I’m fine with 200 currently.

Reactions: E90alex
My completely unfounded prediction is that before calendar year 2023 is over, for that final Q4 push they may price a base model X to 79,999 to get last few cars out the door. I don't think they'll discount it near end of Q3

$10k is $10k. Someone that can afford an $80k car isn’t necessarily someone that can comfortably afford a $90k car.

If we were talking about like $200k cars then yes an extra $10k is relatively insignificant.

It’s funny you consider 320 miles too little range when the 85D and 90D had less. Even the 100D wasn’t much more at 330mi EPA, and without a heat pump. In any case, people do just fine with even the standard range 3 and Y and typically people need bio breaks before you run out of range.

Not everyone does frequent long distance travel either so why pay $10k for range you won’t use 99% of the time? Luckily they’re not taking away the long range so people can just buy that one if they need more. It doesn’t take away anything from the LR to offer a cheaper/lower range option.

Will be interesting to see if that's the case or not. Personally I kinda doubt it but that's just a hunch...

That said, at the moment the specs page lists identical weights for the LR and standard range (4560 pounds), so it could be.
It is. There’s a post on twitter (x) with A statement from Tesla that it is software limited and there are no plans to offer an upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I have a feeling that the standard 320 mile rated range will be closer to what you can actually get in the real world vs the long range 405, plus given it’s most likely software limited, you can charge to 100%.

And for long trips, that 405 rated range is actually overkill given how superchargers are spaced apart. What matters is charging speed, and the model s is a beast in that regard. The curve on the standard might actually better, relative to the range (again due to the likely software limited range vs smaller pack).
I doubt that. They probably have a smaller battery. They have not software locked a battery in eons.

And for the record 405 mile range is awesome. You don’t normally charge to 100% nor do you drain to 0%. So I have 250 miles of real range anytime with no planning while keeping it at 80%.

Super charging is expensive and I never need to now. Where I often did in my 326 mile Range X.

It makes sense for them to do this.

A lot of competition is maxed out around the 320 mile range and now Tesla can compete more fairly on the rest of the features and price.

Reactions: gene
It is. There’s a post on twitter (x) with A statement from Tesla that it is software limited and there are no plans to offer an upgrade.
1692074152202.png

What it really means is that with this Tesla proves that it can sell these cars at lower price points and still have a good margin. It only means $69,420 is just right around the corner.

It's an interesting choice. I do see it addressing other things that the 3/Y can't fill. Air suspension, usable hatch in a sedan format with more space in the rear than a 3, superior sound system than the 3/Y, and some luxury amenities interior wise (materials, cooled seats, dual screens, larger center screen, rear screen) that the 3/Y don't have.

The 3/Y always seemed to have a hard time hitting their EPA ranges IMO. But the S has been pretty close to matching its EPA range and there are some that have exceeded it.

I would be interested to see the curb weight of the SR MS. It would give a clue if the range is software or actual hardware limited by the batteries.

Reactions: gene
I'd be interested to know the source of the "Tesla says" statement. Since they have been replacing the 85 batteries with 90s that are in fact new construction, simply 100s without one module, I don't know why they wouldn't use that battery in the standard range S and X that are new. I'd like a little more than somebody saying Tesla said before I take it as gospel.

I'd be interested to know the source of the "Tesla says" statement. Since they have been replacing the 85 batteries with 90s that are in fact new construction, simply 100s without one module, I don't know why they wouldn't use that battery in the standard range S and X that are new. I'd like a little more than somebody saying Tesla said before I take it as gospel.

Yeah, seems to me that the reason to say "we don't have plans to unlock the additional range" is to ensure that people considering purchasing an LR don't drop to an SR.

Sure, the extra range is locked, but Tesla is still including it. It's $10k worth of hardware that Tesla is handing out for free... and it's entirely unusable.

I don't like pricing games, and would feel better if Tesla stated right upfront that owners can unlock the additional range but for more than what it would cost to purchase the LR to begin with. Perhaps $12k to buy back that additional range down the road.