Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing enthusiasm for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all comes down to, and continues to come down to, happiness = reality - expectations. Tesla is simultaneously very good at delivering very high reality, and is very bad as setting really high expectations. I want to reiterate though that Tesla doesn't really control expectations, you do. That being said, I will reiterate also Tesla is very bad at where your expectations are initially set at.

It's the catch-22 of Tesla, that I feel people who are waiting, and justifiably so, want Tesla to actually be forthcoming on everything related to their business, from the financials to the production numbers to what models will actually be able to be sold first and why, and you actually want them to stick to their plan, and if they change their plan, then be forthcoming on the changes, after all, you're a potential paying customer dammit and deserve some answers.

The thing is, Tesla has never been that, and you cannot expect them to change, it's the definition of insanity to expect them to do so. And everyone knows what will cause them to change, mass cancellations, and exposing the not so hidden truth that many of the cars sold are subpar in their quality,, and letting everyone know that (and I mean that realistically, we all know Tesla has problems in order of magnitude greater in that department for such expensive cars and for so little relative amounts).

But you can't do that, why? You believe in the idea, and the mission of Tesla too much, and Elon and Co know that too. So you stick with it, you bite your tongue, and you anguish over waiting cause you know they have you, and you don't want to kill the dream of electrified cars. So this site always ends up in two camps, the sunshine pumper zealot who keeps telling you it's actually the best and superior car and company in every way and you of little faith needs to just wait and it'll all be better some day, or the I am sticking to it dammit but I am chronically going to complain about some legit things but that's all I am going to do complainer.

It's utterly fascinating to watch it unfold, it's like groundhog day every day on this site. I just wish people would be more realistic about Tesla. It is a good not great company, led by a visionary who's bold and enticing vision is beset on all sides by anything resembling a realistic timeframe, that sells good to great to amazing cars with potentially a laundry list of minor to some really not minor issues that many car companies, while they do have issues, simply put they occur on a scale much higher for the low volume they push out compared to others.

Zealots, it's ok to criticize, Tesla deserves it for it's lack of being able to do business in a way people deserve to be treated, and chronic criticizers, honestly, what do you expect from a supermodel hot car company, that she isn't also potentially very crazy and going to have issues? And hasn't been this known since IDK day 1?, and not just for the model 3 but for literally every car this company has made in it's short history? IMO you get little sympathy when you knew the truth the whole time but hoped, dammit, maybe she won't throw shoes into the TV this time.

I am gaining enthusiasm for this thread.

That's catching up? See those big blank spots? Some of us actually live there or want to drive through there. And do those icons each represent 4 to 40 chargers that you can use just by plugging-in or do you have to hope that the one or two chargers are working, accessible, available and in a network for which you are a member?

No, I don't buy it. CCS and Chademo have a LONG way to go to match the utility of the Supercharger network.

Also, you can't take a Plugshare CCS/Chademo map and compare it to Superchargers. Many (most!) of those stations will be combo stations with one of each plug, only one of which can be used at a time. Good luck planning a road trip with those constraints even if the map at first looks good to you. The odds that a station you need is down and/or in use are high.

I can understand your perspective but my perspective is 180. My enthusiasm is increasing.

The competitors are struggling to produce something comparable to the 6 year old model S. I love buying new cars but even with the long in the tooth model S is my favorite car. I like it so much I ordered an P100D X last weekend. My lease will probably expire before a real competitor for the X arrives.

The model 3 is great. The thread where the model 3 kicked butt at Laguna Seca is awesome. The range - the super charger network - the center display. I think my problem is...I am losing enthusiasm in the other manufactures.

Yes, I know I sound like a fan boy but last weekend my options for testing driving an electric SUV was one vehicle - the model X.
You really need to change your avatar then.

Already have an ICE Chevy beast (Avalanche). Like I said, haven't totally given up, but my level of enthusiasm has gone from, "I can't wait, I can't wait, I want it RIGHT NOW!!" to "Hmm. 3-6 more months? OK, I guess."
Do you really wanna be that guy who has to ask his friend to use his truck? Now Im inspired.
I might just go get a dozer scoop of mulch tomorrow for no reason. Growl growl growl!

When I learned that my Model 3 estimated delivery date was pushed back from January - March to May - July, I was actually glad. It gives me more time to set aside more money for the monthly payments and hopefully provide more cushion for quality control issues.

Who knows if it will make much of a difference in terms of quality, but I am hoping that their production pause in February addressed some issues.

I love my P85D and my P100D X coming (assuming I love it). I am looking forward to model 3 late this year.

But I am the guy who enjoys the self worth of owning a truck. I wish Tesla would make me a truck but until then my wheel chocks, ramps and tie downs are ready to haul motorcycles. Hauling motorcycles are totally self worth!

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman and Buddyroe
I love my P85D and my P100D X coming (assuming I love it). I am looking forward to model 3 late this year.

But I am the guy who enjoys the self worth of owning a truck. I wish Tesla would make me a truck but until then my wheel chocks, ramps and tie downs are ready to haul motorcycles. Hauling motorcycles are totally self worth!

Trucks need to be able to go into some tough environments. Not sure how much battery capacity would be needed, but definitely more than 300-350 miles. I would say 500 minimum. I take my truck to go camping and the advantage of a ICE vehicle is that I can carry jerry cans full of gas if I am taking a very long road trip into areas without nearby gas stations.

It also needs to be able to haul extra weight while also being drastically more compact than a Semi and have high ground clearance...

So I'm not sure if the battery tech is there yet. Sure, it will work for city trucks but not for those that tow boats and jet skis to lakes during summers or go into the woods for camping.

Would be really cool though.

• Love
Reactions: Doctor X

I tow with my X and a utility trailer, and even living on a country property, I find that to be more than I need. But the one time I took three T-bins of grapes to the weigh station before I had my X, I rented a truck. It didn't really phase me.. :)

Already have an ICE Chevy beast (Avalanche). Like I said, haven't totally given up, but my level of enthusiasm has gone from, "I can't wait, I can't wait, I want it RIGHT NOW!!" to "Hmm. 3-6 more months? OK, I guess."

You have a choice? If you'd gotten a Tesla Model S or X instead of your Avalanche, you'd be in front of the line for a 3. I got mine weeks ago. I wonder if Tesla knows about the Avalanche. Hmmm... 3 - 6 more months?

Worse yet, who wants to be that guy who thinks having a truck gives him some kind of self-worth? ;)

Trucks are the Swiss Army Knife of vehicles, especially CC/LB 4x4s. Load it with a forklift. Load it with skiploader. Load it with a crane. Stand a refrigerator straight up. Haul 4 cars. Haul 10 motorcycles. Haul your home (travel trailer), seat 5 in comfort, win a kinetic energy dispute. And so much more. It does what you make it do. It's a freakin' transformer.

If you can only have 1 vehicle a crewcab truck is as high as you go up the foodchain of function. Sadly, I must say that even the venerable Cargo Van still comes in second. Although they can seat 15 adults, so there's that. You could do that with a 5th wheel legally too, so the pickup wins.

A sedan or UV is either an generic single purpose appliance or a piece of jewelry. They aren't tools.

Trucks are the Swiss Army Knife of vehicles, especially CC/LB 4x4s. Load it with a forklift. Load it with skiploader. Load it with a crane. Stand a refrigerator straight up. Haul 4 cars. Haul 10 motorcycles. Haul your home (travel trailer), seat 5 in comfort, win a kinetic energy dispute. And so much more. It does what you make it do. It's a freakin' transformer.

If you can only have 1 vehicle a crewcab truck is as high as you go up the foodchain of function. Sadly, I must say that even the venerable Cargo Van still comes in second. Although they can seat 15 adults, so there's that. You could do that with a 5th wheel legally too, so the pickup wins.

A sedan or UV is either an generic single purpose appliance or a piece of jewelry. They aren't tools.
What does any of this have to do with self-worth?