Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

losing house WiFi password

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last three or four updates, I've noticed that the car/app tell me to connect to WiFi to start the download. We never change our WiFi password and so I'm wondering why it does this as I keep having to enter it each time. I can't recall it doing this when we first got it. Anyone know what's up?

For the last three or four updates, I've noticed that the car/app tell me to connect to WiFi to start the download. We never change our WiFi password and so I'm wondering why it does this as I keep having to enter it each time. I can't recall it doing this when we first got it. Anyone know what's up?
I think it's just that the signal is too weak and cannot connect, while I have no problem connecting my phone to WiFi.
Eventually the car will connect by itself, without the need to constantly entering a new password.

The way I solve this is to use a tiny router (GL-inet) inside my car. The router connect to WiFi and can be used then as a relay by the car.
This can help also when the WiFi you try to connect needs to open a Webpage, something not possible with Tesla.

think it's just that the signal is too weak and cannot connect, while I have no problem connecting my phone to WiFi.
It does it for my phone as well as house WiFi (which has roaming handoff strength set as low as possible for my car’s IP).
I agree it reconnects eventually or if you toggle car’s WiFi off/on

I think it's just that the signal is too weak and cannot connect, while I have no problem connecting my phone to WiFi.
It does it for my phone as well as house WiFi (which has roaming handoff strength set as low as possible for my car’s IP).
I agree it reconnects eventually or if you toggle car’s WiFi off/on
I believe the problem is the WiFi antenna located inside the passenger external rear mirror.

I have no problem using my phone inside the car, so I wonder if the antenna
was on top of the windshield or on the roof, the reception would be better?

I also put a WiFi repeater inside my garage connected to my home WiFi.

- When I park my car inside the garage, the car connect with no problem
to the WiFi repeater inside my car or the WiFi repeater inside the garage.

- If I turn off both of them, my car has difficulty connecting directly to my home WiFi.​

I believe the problem is the WiFi antenna located inside the passenger external rear mirror.

I have no problem using my phone inside the car, so I wonder if the antenna
was on top of the windshield or on the roof, the reception would be better?

I also put a WiFi repeater inside my garage connected to my home WiFi.

- When I park my car inside the garage, the car connect with no problem
to the WiFi repeater inside my car or the WiFi repeater inside the garage.

- If I turn off both of them, my car has difficulty connecting directly to my home WiFi.​
This is about not remembering/retrieving the password, not about signal strength or quality. Passenger mirror is closest to the AP. And also occurs with mobile tethering.

@verygreen have you seen anything related to this? (WiFi password requiring to be rentered periodically, or cycling off/on fixes it)

It might be worth setting your router to a specific channel. I know Tesla doesn’t support certain channels (from memory above 12) if your router is automatically cycling through different channels it may cause it not to connect.

Yes, I had mine on channel 13 (not allowed in the US) and changed it to 11 and it’s been a stable connection since.

As pointed out earlier. Is not signal or channel related. Happens on phone too. Car thinks it’s a new AP unless toggle off/on, then get a green tick straight away.

router strength is fine. Passenger mirror is maybe 15 ft from the router which is just inside our front door. This was never a problem until just a few months ago. No other settings are interfered with at all. FWIW, I have a main router in the hallway and then another router in my downstairs office acting as a repeater wtih 2.4 and 5GHz enabled. This gives me a total of three networks all of which use the same password for simplicity's sake. All three networks have their passwords missing when the issue occurs.

Eventually the car will connect by itself, without the need to constantly entering a new password.

The way I solve this is to use a tiny router (GL-inet) inside my car. The router connect to WiFi and can be used then as a relay by the car.
This can help also when the WiFi you try to connect needs to open a Webpage, something not possible with Tesla.

EE sold me a couple of 4G > WiFi mini bridges for not much money. The GL inet device is cool but a bit pricy. If I need to open dialogues I just use my phone.

Still tempted, though