Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud click from HPWC when charging starts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is it normal to hear a loud click/thunk from the Gen 2 HPWC when starting to charge?

I did a search but didn’t find any results. Want to make sure this isn’t an issue that needs to be addressed.
I personally wouldn't call it loud, but yes it makes a click. It shouldn't be much louder than the click you would hear manually flipping the breaker it is connected too.

Yep, that’s the relay closing, which starts the charging.

Technically it is a "contactor" not a "relay" (high voltage vs low voltage), but I apologize, I am just being pedantic.

The function is the same.

I listen for the contactor to close every time I plug in my car. That is how I know it is working. ;-)

Also, when plugged in but done charging, when I open the door (which kicks on climate control) you can hear it re-engage so that it runs HVAC from shore power rather than draining the battery.

Reactions: SSonnentag
Technically it is a "contactor" not a "relay" (high voltage vs low voltage), but I apologize, I am just being pedantic.

The function is the same.

I listen for the contactor to close every time I plug in my car. That is how I know it is working. ;-)

Also, when plugged in but done charging, when I open the door (which kicks on climate control) you can hear it re-engage so that it runs HVAC from shore power rather than draining the battery.

Yep, thanks. High-voltage relays are known as contactors. :D