Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud humming noise while charging at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhakan

MSLR MSM/Blk/19/FSD, Ord 6/10/21, Del 2/20/22
Jan 2, 2018
Bethesda, MD
Today when I was at the Strasburg, VA, supercharger, I heard a loud humming sound that was possibly coming from the frunk area when the rate went up to 304mi/hr. I was at the same supercharger the previous day on my way to Blacksburg, VA and did not hear any noise. i noticed at least 297mi/hr that day. Is it normal to have a loud noise? Does it occur when it is over 300mi/hr? I was worried. I waited and went to nearby coffee place and came back and i did not hear any more noise.

2017 Model S 70, EAP premium pkg, Subzero pkg

Yes it’s normal. The battery cooling system sometimes runs full tilt at very high charge rates.

Also note that the mi/hr rate displayed while supercharging is an average over the entire session. Use the kw number for an idea of instantaneous charge rate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes it’s normal. The battery cooling system sometimes runs full tilt at very high charge rates.

Also note that the mi/hr rate displayed while supercharging is an average over the entire session. Use the kw number for an idea of instantaneous charge rate.

Noticed around 72KW at this instance . However, I had noticed 92-93 kw in earlier supercharging when I did not hear any noise. That's why i thought if the rate had any significance.

Today when I was at the Strasburg, VA, supercharger, I heard a loud humming sound that was possibly coming from the frunk area when the rate went up to 304mi/hr. I was at the same supercharger the previous day on my way to Blacksburg, VA and did not hear any noise. i noticed at least 297mi/hr that day. Is it normal to have a loud noise? Does it occur when it is over 300mi/hr? I was worried. I waited and went to nearby coffee place and came back and i did not hear any more noise.

2017 Model S 70, EAP premium pkg, Subzero pkg
I'd be concerned if your car *didn't* sound like an Airbus 380 at takeoff, while you were supercharging.

Make sure your louvers are opening when the cooling activates. I had the same problem at one point and one of my louvers were broken, so it was only cooling through one side, and it was obviously struggling because of it, so it would go in to high power cooling mode.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: wedge07 and bhakan
Make sure your louvers are opening when the cooling activates. I had the same problem at one point and one of my louvers were broken, so it was only cooling through one side, and it was obviously struggling because of it, so it would go in to high power cooling mode.
How would I know that one of the louvers are broken? Isn't it TSC that can verify that?

219C2461-3DC0-46C1-AFE0-9E9ABF419748.jpeg

Look at them! They’re right next to the fog lights and behind the horizontal chrome “slats.”

• Informative
Reactions: Naonak and bhakan