Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my model Y but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Model X, the door swings out to meet you when you walk up and autocloses when you put your foot on the brake.
That is ahmaaaazing!!! I considered the X, but I knew it would get all the new S interior eventually, and did not want to have all the "old stuff", also a few friends have the X and they have had lots of rattles and alignment issues with the falcon doors. It felt "safer" going with the baby X, aka Model Y :)

That is ahmaaaazing!!! I considered the X, but I knew it would get all the new S interior eventually, and did not want to have all the "old stuff", also a few friends have the X and they have had lots of rattles and alignment issues with the falcon doors. It felt "safer" going with the baby X, aka Model Y :)
I also have a Model Y now. I think it is the most cost-efficient of all TESLA models. Mine is now worth $8,000 more than what I paid for it.
Largely, because I can have two Model Ys for the price of an X. I do miss the auto doors and the suspension adjustment along with the HEPA filters.
Never had any alignment issues with falcon doors or any rattles in either of the two Model X vehicles I had.

Reactions: Deutsch100
I also have a Model Y now. I think it is the most cost-efficient of all TESLA models. Mine is now worth $8,000 more than what I paid for it.
Largely, because I can have two Model Ys for the price of an X. I do miss the auto doors and the suspension adjustment along with the HEPA filters.
Never had any alignment issues with falcon doors or any rattles in either of the two Model X vehicles I had.
That is great that you have no rattles. Tesla, unlike say Porsche, varies from car to car in terms of build quality and parts. I know several with model Y that have misaligned headlights, tail lamps, frunk panels...and mine are perfect!

Btw, my new 21 MYP has "biodefense mode" with I believe the biggest HEPA filters ever installed in a car. I would like to adjust the suspension in the Y, it feels very firm :-o

Ok..approaching my one year of ownership and I love my model Y. But, let's get real. The technology is great but what's missing is available in every other car in this price range...ie:

Grab handle over the rear door...simple
Bird's eye view for easy parking...maybe less curb rash??
Rear cross-traffic alert with braking. Needed when backing out especially with limited rearview.
Garage opener built-in....$300 really!
Blindspot warning in mirrors or at least an audible when a turn signal is activated.
OK..I'm done. Anybody else has any additions?

I just ordered my MYLR a little over a week ago, and I do have to admit that, while I am excited for all the new tech coming my way, I was surprised at the lack of some of the features that I took for granted in my 2017 Mazda CX-5. As the OP mentioned, cross-traffic alert when reversing, blind spot alerts and indicators in the side mirrors, a programmable garage door opener, even the grab handles...all of these were on my 5-year-old Mazda. Surprising, but not a deal breaker. I'm gladly trading in those creature comforts for a minimum of $400/month in fuel costs.

I just ordered my MYLR a little over a week ago, and I do have to admit that, while I am excited for all the new tech coming my way, I was surprised at the lack of some of the features that I took for granted in my 2017 Mazda CX-5. As the OP mentioned, cross-traffic alert when reversing, blind spot alerts and indicators in the side mirrors, a programmable garage door opener, even the grab handles...all of these were on my 5-year-old Mazda. Surprising, but not a deal breaker. I'm gladly trading in those creature comforts for a minimum of $400/month in fuel costs.
Forgot to mention that the Mazda also had an XM receiver, played my iTunes and other phone content (Audible, etc) easily, and cost about $20k less than the MYLR.

Forgot to mention that the Mazda also had an XM receiver, played my iTunes and other phone content (Audible, etc) easily, and cost about $20k less than the MYLR.
My wife has a 2019 CR-V and she says it’s the $20k backup camera (Honda camera/screen is *sugar* tbh). She doesn’t drive the Tesla, so you just wait. If you’re worried about missing them you wouldn’t have ordered one…and you won’t!

I commute about 80 miles per day round trip and had to fill up twice a week at $50 a pop.
Oh I see, so this does not include the cost of electricity. What are your costs for both gasoline and electricity?

I commute about 100 miles per day 5 days a week and calculate my savings to be about 121/month (1456/year) in switching from gasoline to electric. There are many variables to consider so I made a spreadsheet to attempt to estimate this.

In my case I used the following assumptions based on local pricing and estimated vehicle performances:
Cost of gasoline 3.00/gal,
Cost of electricity 0.11/kWh,
ICE MPG 35,
Tesla Watts/Mile 270.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 11.04.05 PM.png

But, mirror signals. Come, on man! These are a safety matter and the National Safety Council should intervene to require them on all vehicles.
No disagreement that blind spot warnings in the mirrors improve safety.

But the future is no side mirrors at all - replaced by cameras. Tesla has been petitioning the government to allow this for years due to the drag reduction it permits, and automakers are selling cars in other countries with camera bumps replacing the side mirrors. If the USA added hard requirements for blind spot indicators on the mirrors, it would only further anchor us in the past...

hqdefault.jpg

Oh I see, so this does not include the cost of electricity. What are your costs for both gasoline and electricity?

I commute about 100 miles per day 5 days a week and calculate my savings to be about 121/month (1456/year) in switching from gasoline to electric. There are many variables to consider so I made a spreadsheet to attempt to estimate this.

In my case I used the following assumptions based on local pricing and estimated vehicle performances:
ICE MPG 35,
Tesla Watts/Mile 270.

View attachment 706543
Gas in SoCal is now ~$4.50 a gal so the savings are much higher here. If you are paying more than $150 a month in electricity bills, it makes total sense to get a solar system for your house too. I am offsetting 100% of my monthly electricity bill with the cost of paying for a Tesla Solar system. I pay nothing to juice-up my MY as of now and I will not be paying anything to the power company in 4.5 years.

Last edited:
Gas in SoCal is now ~$4.50 a gal so the savings are much higher here. If you are paying more than $150 a month in electricity bills, it makes total sense to get a solar system for your house too. I am offsetting 100% of my monthly electricity bill with the cost of paying for a Tesla Solar system. I pay nothing to juice-up my MY as of now and I will not be paying anything to the power company in 4.5 years.
We installed 150 solar panels about 8 years ago. They were completely paid off in less than 5 years. Our Edison bill used to be WELL over $1000 a month, and since we installed our panels, we have not had an electric bill for the most part and we have had 1-2 EVs since 2017!

• Love
Reactions: AlexHung
No disagreement that blind spot warnings in the mirrors improve safety.

But the future is no side mirrors at all - replaced by cameras. Tesla has been petitioning the government to allow this for years due to the drag reduction it permits, and automakers are selling cars in other countries with camera bumps replacing the side mirrors. If the USA added hard requirements for blind spot indicators on the mirrors, it would only further anchor us in the past...

View attachment 706558
Totally simple solution that doesn't take an engineering degree. Put a sensor in the pillar and have the light on the inside.

Reactions: Deutsch100
Um an Acura MDX at $62k has wireless carplay, 360 camera, blind spot monitoring, pano sunroof with shade, a usable 3 row, active noise cancellation and more. Lexus does have 360 camera, had it on my RX450 2019. For this price range, Tesla is lacking a lot of features, the only good things is that it's electric and has semi full self driving, other than that for $60-$70k you're not getting much other than an econobox car with a monitor.

Yes and the Acura MDX is a slug. A brisk 6.4 0-60 and 15 seconds in the quarter? What you also get with the Y is performance and a driving experience that's unlike any ICE with single drive gearbox and one pedal driving. The Acura would never mimic the feel of smooth, instant torque at your back. And yes, they're coming out with a 'Type S' MDX for 65K that's still slower than both Y trims. Sorry, I'd take a Model Y Performance over that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

ICE MPG 35,
Tesla Watts/Mile 270.

View attachment 706543
I am fortunate in that I can charge at work for $1/hr. ;)