Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love my model Y but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok..approaching my one year of ownership and I love my model Y. But, let's get real. The technology is great but what's missing is available in every other car in this price range...ie:

Grab handle over the rear door...simple
Bird's eye view for easy parking...maybe less curb rash??
Rear cross-traffic alert with braking. Needed when backing out especially with limited rearview.
I'm very keen to see those features too. It's very strange that Tesla don't offer them yet, not even as an optional safety pack.

you guys do realize the model Y and 3 are the economy line for now..? S -- X - premium. You aren't going to find all these features in a lower end car. Luxury cars and other high performance cars may have the equipment you are all asking for - but not within the Tesla ecosystem.
This is my perspective as well. Also, a lot of brands have interesting gaps in features:
  • Until the 2021 model year, only three brands (Audi, BMW, Mazda),offered wireless CarPlay. It’s still not an option on any Lexus.
  • I was surprised to see that 360 view isn’t standard on Lexus nor even a particularly common option on the RX model (just finished shopping for a new car for my wife). Maybe that’s a function of supply chain issues but if you’re shopping for a Lexus, there a good chance it’s not there.
  • Last I checked, CarPlay was an option on the BMWs I’d consider peers of the MY (e.g., X3).
  • While not as posh as the MY (but it’s my current vehicle), the BMW X1 lacks blind spot monitoring (checking the middle screen is a step up for me) and I’d have to give up the heated steering wheel for adaptive cruise control.
TL;DR: in 2021, most cars in the MY’s price range are likely to have tradeoffs, especially the ones that run 0-60 in the mid 3 to under 5 second range.

If you want a ridiculously fast EV, that narrows the field quite a bit. When I looked at alternatives like the Mach-E, to get in the ballpark performance-wise, I’d be spending at least as much as for the MY I ended up ordering. While the Ford may be eligible for the federal tax credit, it’s also eligible for dealer gouging.

Bottom line for me: While we have the right to wish that our preferred car offered this feature or that feature, in the “entry level luxury” price range we’re talking about, trade offs are nearly inevitable. While it’s easy to spend 65-70K on a MY, i don’t see it so much as a $70K vehicle but rather a $55K car with $15K in options. It‘s possible to spec out a BMW X3 that costs upwards of $80K but that doesn’t necessarily put it in a different class from the $45K base model. It’s just a particularly fast and well-appointed X3 as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
This is my perspective as well. Also, a lot of brands have interesting gaps in features:
  • Until the 2021 model year, only three brands (Audi, BMW, Mazda),offered wireless CarPlay. It’s still not an option on any Lexus.
  • I was surprised to see that 360 view isn’t standard on Lexus nor even a particularly common option on the RX model (just finished shopping for a new car for my wife). Maybe that’s a function of supply chain issues but if you’re shopping for a Lexus, there a good chance it’s not there.
  • Last I checked, CarPlay was an option on the BMWs I’d consider peers of the MY (e.g., X3).
  • While not as posh as the MY (but it’s my current vehicle), the BMW X1 lacks blind spot monitoring (checking the middle screen is a step up for me) and I’d have to give up the heated steering wheel for adaptive cruise control.
TL;DR: in 2021, most cars in the MY’s price range are likely to have tradeoffs, especially the ones that run 0-60 in the mid 3 to under 5 second range.

If you want a ridiculously fast EV, that narrows the field quite a bit. When I looked at alternatives like the Mach-E, to get in the ballpark performance-wise, I’d be spending at least as much as for the MY I ended up ordering. While the Ford may be eligible for the federal tax credit, it’s also eligible for dealer gouging.

Bottom line for me: While we have the right to wish that our preferred car offered this feature or that feature, in the “entry level luxury” price range we’re talking about, trade offs are nearly inevitable. While it’s easy to spend 65-70K on a MY, i don’t see it so much as a $70K vehicle but rather a $55K car with $15K in options. It‘s possible to spec out a BMW X3 that costs upwards of $80K but that doesn’t necessarily put it in a different class from the $45K base model. It’s just a particularly fast and well-appointed X3 as far as I’m concerned.

Um an Acura MDX at $62k has wireless carplay, 360 camera, blind spot monitoring, pano sunroof with shade, a usable 3 row, active noise cancellation and more. Lexus does have 360 camera, had it on my RX450 2019. For this price range, Tesla is lacking a lot of features, the only good things is that it's electric and has semi full self driving, other than that for $60-$70k you're not getting much other than an econobox car with a monitor. People need to stop drinking to Kool aid, especially in the next 5 years Tesla has big competition, Lexus, Acura, Honda, Subaru, Lucid, Volvo XC90, and Rivian. The people that come from luxury will miss the luxury shortly after driving the Y and once luxury EV's come out, it'll be hard for Tesla, they are also opening their chargers to other manufactures which creates more competition.

But, mirror signals. Come, on man! These are a safety matter and the National Safety Council should intervene to require them on all vehicles.

I know Elon wants the screen to do everything for you to include farting and X-rated videos, but having to look down to the screen before changing lanes is antithetical to body memory and can result in a serious safety hazard. The lack of a glove compartment button is just as ludicrous. You are watching NETFLIX on a dark night. Someone stalks your car. You would like to get your concealed carry. Oh let's see. Exit the movie, then exit NETFLIX, then find the glove compartment button. Ya sure. As a result, I have also had to move my window hammer and seat belt cutter to a velcro position under the dash. The one you need right away if for some reason you plunge into the water when your AUTOPILOT thinks you are a submarine.
Enough with the toys, already. What do you think this is an APPLE product?

Well, officer, I was looking down to my screen to see if was safe to change lanes........and.....................................

1630859834937.png

Um an Acura MDX at $62k has wireless carplay, 360 camera, blind spot monitoring, pano sunroof with shade, a usable 3 row, active noise cancellation and more. Lexus does have 360 camera, had it on my RX450 2019. For this price range, Tesla is lacking a lot of features, the only good things is that it's electric and has semi full self driving, other than that for $60-$70k you're not getting much other than an econobox car with a monitor. People need to stop drinking to Kool aid, especially in the next 5 years Tesla has big competition, Lexus, Acura, Honda, Subaru, Lucid, Volvo XC90, and Rivian. The people that come from luxury will miss the luxury shortly after driving the Y and once luxury EV's come out, it'll be hard for Tesla, they are also opening their chargers to other manufactures which creates more competition.
Not for a while. The Model Y is destined to become the number one selling car in the world by the end of 2022. It already has helped Norway to 72% EV status. If Elon wasn't so obsessed with self-driving, perhaps we would have more luxury features. Considering though that the average car price is now $46,200, you do get a lot for what you pay in a TESLA.

I remember my first Model S. No coat hangers and only two cup holders. Say what? Laundry sliding around in the trunk or back seat (especially with acceleration) ???? It really is an issue of function vs. stubborn minimalism, and in my book function always trumps minimalism. And safety trumps them all.

Reactions: rjpjnk
I have only had my 2021 MYP for about 2 weeks, and so far I am pretty happy with the amenities and offerings and everything works quite good.

My biggest wishes for a $60k+ car would be:

softer (air)suspension
ventilated seats
pop out/easier to use door handles
rear cross traffic detection when reversing (Jag/Land Rover is the best I have ever seen)
Sirius XM!!!!!!!
Build quality that at least matches a $25k Honda or Toyota ;)

The people that come from luxury will miss the luxury shortly after driving the Y and once luxury EV's come out, it'll be hard for Tesla, they are also opening their chargers to other manufactures which creates more competition.
Are the feature-equivalent $60K EVs of 2025 going to be $60K in 2020 dollars or more like $75K? Toyota/Lexus are quite possibly out of the discussion altogether because of how Toyota bet the farm on hydrogen rather than BEVs.

The BMW i4 40 from an EV standpoint (RWD sedan, 0-60 in 5.5s) is probably closest to the M3SR in terms of performance and lack of AWS, though it splits the difference between the M3SR and M3LR but its base MSRP is $15K greater than the M3SR and $6K more than the LR whose drivetrain and performance is more akin to the $65K i4 M50 so you're kinda looking at a $15K difference either way.

My point is that when people observe that Teslas are feature-light for their price point, they're probably not applying the same EV premium that I am. Comparing a $X,000 EV to a $X,000 ICE vehicle is comparing apples to pineapples. The initial outlay is going to be greater and probably should be greater, not just because they cost more to manufacture but because they cost a good bit less to operate. How the initial cost / operating cost factor into one's value assessment is an individual decision.

A lot of folks think that Teslas are overpriced for what they offer. I understand where they're coming from, even if I don't share that position. I also look forward to the day when other manufacturers put pressure on Tesla because that'll force TSLA to continue to raise their game. That said, Tesla has built a good bit more EVs than anyone other than GM and that's worth something. There's more to building a great EV than simply replacing the drivetrain and gas tank with motors and a battery. I don't think Sandy Munro made his observations about Tesla in order to pump the stock or stroke Elon's ego.

My wish list:

1. A better rear camera view at nights while backing up. Sometimes its totally dark and had to depend on side camera only. (most of the lower end cars are much better)
2. Cross traffic alert, both front and rear (simple warning would work)
3. Ventilated seats (much needed during hot summer)
4. More app support (Since there is no carplay or android auto, Tesla should have YT music, amazon music and other popular apps), these are just software updates though

Wrong side one handed? How do you open the driver’s door with your right hand?
I don't. But I do sometimes open the passenger door with my left hand, which is the same concept.

I just flip my hand over (palm up). It is slightly awkward, but much easier than two handed. It feels easier to use the pointer finger to push than the thumb this way, but either is possible. I can also use my pinky to push with my hand palm down, but I find it uncomfortable.