Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure you could, plenty of people expected it to be fixed in v9.

Most of those same people also expected it to be fixed in v8 too.

Personally I wouldn’t expect much. I think Tesla views this as an only slightly more modern way to listen to music than the cassette deck. Cloud/Bluetooth streaming is all 99% of people care about.

Personally, my guess is that Elon does not use USB music and doesn't care. Maybe he never listens to music. Or never listens to podcasts in the car. Whatever his personal audio habits are, I suspect he simply does not frequently encounter the stuff that many of us have complained about for years. if he does not care, it won't get done.

@OP, thank you for fighting this fight.

Please Resume USB audio when you get back in the car
This is such a big issue that affects the otherwise wonderful experience of getting in the Model S.

I've read this thread but nowhere near the entire parent thread, so maybe this observation has already been made:

Resuming does not work correctly for streaming music, either!

I listen to a lot of streaming music (gave up on USB, so many hoops to jump through to get music from iTunes on my Mac all the way out the Tesla speakers), and it's extremely frustrating that one frequently does not get to resume a song where one left off and indeed all too often the music even switches to another streaming favorite station entirely.

Thanks,
Alan

I'm on version 2019.24.4 MCU1 and my USB audio starts from the last playing position. I think it's always behaved that way. I normally listen to radio or streaming podcasts and the podcasts start from last playing position also. It might be the size of USB drive. Mine is a 4 or 8 gb and the music will be going as soon as the door opens. Yeah it won't fit thousands of songs but in my situation a few hundred songs suits me fine.

I had an April 2017 Model S (MCU1, standard audio system) and recently transitioned to an April 2019 Model S (MCU2, upgraded audio system). My previous Model S never had problems resuming USB playback on a large (128GB) memory stick. My current Model S has frequent problems resuming USB playback.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Not so fast. Went out to run errands today and the first two stops it worked great. Then the next two stops it defaulted to TuneIn, which I have never used.:(:mad:

This is the one media player bug I wish they would please fix ASAP. Our Model S is the only car I've ever owned that does not resume music where I left off when I get back in the car :(

If they can just resume the USB music and not needlessly rescan and reindex the USB media drive most of the time I return to the car, it would be such a huge improvement. Both these issues should be so easy to fix and customers have been complaining about music not resuming for years now :( As much as I love games and toys, would love for them to prioritize fixing the USB media player over games.

I was super excited to get 2019.28.2 but unfortunately the media player is still not fixed :(

After the update, the media player was playing music on my way to an appointment. I got back in the car afterwards and not only did the music not resume, the media player decided to index my USB drive for no reason :(

So no music until it went through all the media files when nothing in the media drive had changed. Honestly I wish indexing the media files was done manually because there is a major bug that causes the media player to scan the media drive for no reason. They won't be able to fix the USB media resuming until they fix this issue.

I just submitted a support ticket on My Tesla Account about this.

Same results here :( Thanks for submitting a support ticket to Tesla. Anyone else affected by the media player not resuming, please submit a support ticket from your Tesla Account.

I hope they finally fix the media player so music resumes reliably when we get back in the car.

The USB player has NEVER worked correctly.

In past ICE's, I listened to audiobooks that had been transferred to CD. Even with a multi-disk player in the vehicle, the software would remember the current file & position on the disk and resume playing the current audiobook at the correct spot.

After delivery of our first Model S in early 2013, I tried listening to an audiobook on USB - and was immediately disappointed that the media player didn't remember current file/position. In 2013, as Tesla rolled out "sleep mode", the problem was aggravated when the MCU resumed from sleep because the media player doesn't consistently remember the currently selected source, file and position.

Over 6 years later, we still have the same problems.

It shouldn't be that difficult for the media player app to periodically save the currently selected source, file/station and position - this isn't much information - and could be saved every few seconds - so that when the media player resumes, at worst case, you'd go back a few seconds in your current file.

While we've seen several media player user interface changes over the years, overall the functionality hasn't improved and sometimes has taken a step backward (like losing the ability to change sources from the steering wheel, or the short-term loss of the first letter scroll bar).

Because of these problems, I quickly gave up on using USB for audiobooks and shifted to using the Audible app on my smartphone. And, as it turns out, this is a better solution overall - because the current position is saved with Audible - allowing me to resume from the current position on any of my Audible devices - not just in the car.

While Tesla still needs to fix the USB media player problems (surely it would take less effort to do that than implementing some of the easter eggs or arcade games), what we really need is access to more 3rd party apps - including Audible, either with getting a native version of the app added to the MCU or using "screen mirroring" (Apple CarPlay, Android Auto or alternative) to provide access to the much, much larger Apple and Google app stores.

Reactions: DCEV and Valtor
What I don't understand is how much of the USB media works and they've invested all this time and resources to develop the media player but left out the simplest (but most important) feature of a music player in a car and that is to resume music when you get back in the car.

Most of the time I get in my car I'm like "Oh sh!t. No music again."

It's worse than no music because the media player then starts scanning my USB drive so not only does the music not resume. I can't even start music manually for another few minutes until the drive scanning is done.

So this means while I'm driving in traffic, I need to press the music app, then switch to USB, then make the screen larger, and then select what I was listening to :(

The media player is 95% there. It handles my 220GB lossless media library of nearly 10,000 songs well and the sound quality of lossless FLAC tracks is superb with the premium audio system.

They just need to stop scanning the drive for no reason every time you get in the car and resume music where it left off. Saving what music was last playing and resuming should be a part of the stop/start sequence of the car.

The USB player has NEVER worked correctly.

In past ICE's, I listened to audiobooks that had been transferred to CD. Even with a multi-disk player in the vehicle, the software would remember the current file & position on the disk and resume playing the current audiobook at the correct spot.

After delivery of our first Model S in early 2013, I tried listening to an audiobook on USB - and was immediately disappointed that the media player didn't remember current file/position. In 2013, as Tesla rolled out "sleep mode", the problem was aggravated when the MCU resumed from sleep because the media player doesn't consistently remember the currently selected source, file and position.

Same experience as yours. Every other car I've ever owned and probably available to buy today will remember what music was last playing so it can resume audio at the same place when I get back in the car.

Even cars with CD hangers remembers which CD and track I was last listening to and would resume playback when I get back in the car.

The other feature that is lacking is the ability to quickly swing and cycle through audio sources, with hte car remembering what was playing previously for a particular audio source.

Would love to see them finally fix this bug that has been around for years.

Fixing the USB audio resume bug and enabling long pressing the previous track button to switch audio sources would be so incredible!

I wonder if anyone has Tweeted Elon about this set of issues, and if so, what He might have said in reply....

I hope enough people Tweet him about fixing the USB music player. The music player bugs have been around now for years.... They've added lots of toys and games while music playback (USB) has been neglected and in some cases regressed.

I doubt he knows how bad the situation is for people who listen to music via USB. The issues are so easy to fix that I think if he knew there is a thread here almost 100 pages and 2,000 posts long about music player issues, he would get someone to fix the USB music player and issues we have with music not resuming.

When they get around to fixing the USB music, I hope they also make it easy to switch audio sources with the steering wheel and add playlist support for USB music. These few enhancements would make a bigger difference than any game they add to the car.

The music player issues also affect Model 3 customers, right?

I hope enough people Tweet him about fixing the USB music player. The music player bugs have been around now for years.... They've added lots of toys and games while music playback (USB) has been neglected and in some cases regressed.

I doubt he knows how bad the situation is for people who listen to music via USB. The issues are so easy to fix that I think if he knew there is a thread here almost 100 pages and 2,000 posts long about music player issues, he would get someone to fix the USB music player and issues we have with music not resuming.

When they get around to fixing the USB music, I hope they also make it easy to switch audio sources with the steering wheel and add playlist support for USB music. These few enhancements would make a bigger difference than any game they add to the car.

The music player issues also affect Model 3 customers, right?
yes, aside from the many general bug fixes, those last 2 things would make a big improvement. btw audio source selection via the steering wheel *used to be* a working feature until they inexplicably took it away - IIRC it was removed with introduction of v8.x software.

Before that in v7.x you could press the right steering wheel menu button and pick "media source" as what the right scroll wheel controlled. Very handy - But gone in v8 and later. Also, now with v9 forcing all the audio source buttons down to the bottom of the 17" screen, you have to take your eyes off the road to change music sources. Wasn't a problem in v8 or before where at least you could put the music player with all audio source buttons very near the top of the screen. More reason to bring back the steering wheel control (or ditch the v9 UI... but I digress...)

I agree Elon has zero clue (or care) about the problems with USB playback, and obviously cares more about fun "newsworthy" features like easter eggs & video games than mundane things like USB audio. The non-streaming generation of owners don't matter. Didn't they also get rid of AM radio in recent MS/MX and also M3? One problem is earlier this year Consumer Reports ranked Tesla's infotainment system as better than any other brand of car, so you know, that's probably the only thing that would stick in his mind. His brother Kimbal at the time even boasted at the time that Tesla's infotainment system is better than an 2020 iPhone (though my 2001 iPod has infinitely better playlist support)

p.s. from the v7 Model S owner's manual, see highlighted section.
Note: one thing I didn't like about this feature was that pressing the scroll wheel button in this mode added or deleted the currently playing station or track as a favorite. This made it very easy to accidentally remove a favorite without noticing you did that.

v7rightSteeringWheelScrollWheel.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PhilDavid and DCEV
yes, aside from the many general bug fixes, those last 2 things would make a big improvement. btw audio source selection via the steering wheel *used to be* a working feature until they inexplicably took it away - IIRC it was removed with introduction of v8.x software.

Before that in v7.x you could press the right steering wheel menu button and pick "media source" as what the right scroll wheel controlled. Very handy - But gone in v8 and later. Also, now with v9 forcing all the audio source buttons down to the bottom of the 17" screen, you have to take your eyes off the road to change music sources. Wasn't a problem in v8 or before where at least you could put the music player with all audio source buttons very near the top of the screen. More reason to bring back the steering wheel control (or ditch the v9 UI... but I digress...)

I agree Elon has zero clue (or care) about the problems with USB playback, and obviously cares more about fun "newsworthy" features like easter eggs & video games than mundane things like USB audio. The non-streaming generation of owners don't matter. Didn't they also get rid of AM radio in recent MS/MX and also M3? One problem is earlier this year Consumer Reports ranked Tesla's infotainment system as better than any other brand of car, so you know, that's probably the only thing that would stick in his mind. His brother Kimbal at the time even boasted at the time that Tesla's infotainment system is better than an 2020 iPhone (though my 2001 iPod has infinitely better playlist support)

p.s. from the v7 Model S owner's manual, see highlighted section.
Note: one thing I didn't like about this feature was that pressing the scroll wheel button in this mode added or deleted the currently playing station or track as a favorite. This made it very easy to accidentally remove a favorite without noticing you did that.

View attachment 440137

Being able to select audio sources from the steering wheel and have the music for that audio source auto resume would be such a HUGE luxury. It's such a mess when I have to switch audio sources now and it requires navigating multiple window layouts while driving the car :(

The music payer and music source switching is the one thing Tesla has not implemented well in their otherwise flawless software interface.

Being able to long press the previous track button to switch audio sources and auto resume music would be so awesome.

Another super useful option is to use voice commands. How awesome would it be to be able to say "Resume USB Audio" or "Resume Streaming Audio!"

With all the features they are adding, they need to devote some resources to fixing the music player.

I'm now on 2019.36.1 and unfortunately the music player is still not fixed :(

When I get back in the car, USB music does not resume so that means no music for the 3 minutes it scans and loads my music library.

Also no easy way to cycle through audio sources rather than divert attention to navigating the music menus :(

Would be so awesome if you could cycle though audio sources by long pressing a steering wheel button and the car would resume what was previously playing for that audio source.

It's sad, the music player, the most widely used app in my car lacks basic USB music resume capability

It's gotten worse for me in the last few months, not sure if its the software update or my usb drive. I used to get music to resume 90% of the time, now it shows the blank screen 100% of the time. I also hate how the song list disappears so you have to reselect an album, and if you're in the artist list and click on one, press back, you're at the top of the list. Such a poorly implemented player. I don't know how anyone can call it a "tech" car.

At least they fixed the blank backup camera..

It's gotten worse for me in the last few months, not sure if its the software update or my usb drive. I used to get music to resume 90% of the time, now it shows the blank screen 100% of the time. I also hate how the song list disappears so you have to reselect an album, and if you're in the artist list and click on one, press back, you're at the top of the list. Such a poorly implemented player. I don't know how anyone can call it a "tech" car.

At least they fixed the blank backup camera..

The USB music not reliably resuming has now been going on for 3+ years with no resolution :(

I wish they'd at least add the ability to switch audio sources and resume music playback with a voice command.