Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU1 here. USB resuming is a roll of the dice, sometimes it will and others it won't. I use it for audio books, so I make it a habit to write the track and time every time I park. My fancy car needs a note pad and pencil to play audio correctly! It will and won't throughout the same books, so it isn't a file type issue or source problem. It's just a flaky media player problem,.

MCU1 here. USB resuming is a roll of the dice, sometimes it will and others it won't. I use it for audio books, so I make it a habit to write the track and time every time I park. My fancy car needs a note pad and pencil to play audio correctly! It will and won't throughout the same books, so it isn't a file type issue or source problem. It's just a flaky media player problem,.

I have the same issue with the USB music not resuming. Yeah it is crazy how the most advanced car in the world can't keep track of what was playing and resume USB music :(

The only time I can get the USB audio to resume reliably is if I return to the car within about an hour of leaving.

The only time I can get the USB audio to resume reliably is if I return to the car within about an hour of leaving.
For me there is no rhyme or reason. I can leave the car, stop a few times where it goes to streaming and then suddenly it's back on the same usb track it left off at.:confused:

And it's not reloading the library because my car never seems to do that unless I change the root folder name. That part is solid.

My 2013 P85+ remembered where it was in USB music quite reliably.

With the same USB drive, my 2019 Model S Performance Ludicrous Mode that replaced it only remembers about 50% of the time. The rest of the time the audio interface is empty, and one of the streaming icons is highlighted. It's made USB playback useless for me except for long trips.

I really wish Tesla would fix USB music playback (maybe put game development on hold until it is fixed; it's really quite odd to get yet another game when stuff like this still doesn't work after years of people listing the bugs).

Is this to force me to get a Spötify account?

Reactions: PhilDavid

With the same USB drive, my 2019 Model S Performance Ludicrous Mode that replaced it only remembers about 50% of the time. The rest of the time the audio interface is empty, and one of the streaming icons is highlighted. It's made USB playback useless for me except for long trips.

I really wish Tesla would fix USB music playback (maybe put game development on hold until it is fixed; it's really quite odd to get yet another game when stuff like this still doesn't work after years of people listing the bugs).

I heard spotify is also riddled with bugs :\

I have the same issues with my car :(

If I return to the car within about an hour, music resumes almost always. It's when I've been away from the car longer that USB music does not resume.

It's just super annoying to start the day each morning with no music :(

This has been an ongoing issue for years now and I just wish they would fix the music player.

I have found in recent weeks, I sometimes ( maybe half the time) have to open and close the door 3 times for the usb music to resume. It use to work almost all the time with only 2 door opening and closings.

This door trick is a well known one for getting the music to resume.

But even that is not reliable. Sometimes if I open and close the door a few times the music would resume.

Opening and closing the door multiple times should be necessary to get a modern car to resume playing USB music.... :p

There's not many updates I can remember where it worked flawlessly (keep in mind I'm not in the US so I've had it since I got the car in 2018). I remember one update when you opened Spotify the MCU would lock up and self-reboot after a few minutes....there's some good software QA going on there! It took them a couple of months to fix it too, another one the local service guys were sick of hearing about I'm sure.

TBH, my USB resuming is working very well.
But I'm on MCU1.
Looks like MCU2 is having problems with USB resuming.
same observation here, with MCU1. USB resume problem existed for many many months but disappeared sometime after one of the v8 updates and for me has been 100% ok since. in my case: 64GB USB, ~80% full, ~7000 tracks, all VBR MP3, relatively flat hierarchy (only 1 level directory deep after root volume), some care taken to clean up tags and embedded album art, etc as per some of the recommendations in the main Comprehensive USB bug thread, in attempt to avoid some of the issues in theory caused by poor memory management by the music player/MCU.

yes, Spotify in Tesla has it's own set of problems. been using Spotify since it came out in v10 - main issue is it never goes for more than a day before it hits a loading error or just stops, either while listening or upon getting back into the car. Then the only way to get it to start playing again seems to be to momentarily play something on Slacker then go back to Spotify. Sometimes takes a minute or so before the main Spotify menu listing of playlists comes back - annoying to every day have to wait and take eyes off th road to be fiddling with the display for a couple minutes while driving, just to get music playing again. So not just the USB, but overall the Tesla music player is buggy, and always has been.

to the OP, I applaud your tenacity wanting to get USB resume fixed, and I hope they do. but after 4 years of ownership and many same old music player bugs persisting (or disappearing then reappearing later) while meanwhile they focus on games and fart sounds and video, I don't have any faith they've got anyone with any interest (or the ability) at all to fix the music player after all this time.

Reactions: f205v
Sometimes it's just easier to give in and put your music on your phone. My car reads off my phone and plays music just fine. I choose whole albums or folders and just push "go" and it plays.

I don't do radio or streaming. Just my own little files, my own music. Plenty of room on my phone.

Reactions: SO16
i haven’t had any issues with my phone. MCU1.

Those with USB issues, have you tried the tips mentioned here?

USB Flash Drives for Music | TeslaTap

I've tried every tip I could find when I was just a baby. The music player resuming issues have been going on for so long that I'm a man now :p A man with a car with a music player that can;t resume music!

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
Yes, album art is hit or miss.

Mine regularly forgets it was playing from USB the last time I was in the car and I sit down to an empty music player or streaming music. Somehow there is an icon in the Recent box that starts it up again, and now it even remembers that it should use shuffle mode (it used to forget). Still many bugs to get fixed in USB music playback. I wish they'd put someone on it.