Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Link the tracks of the album in a single file. A simple task in iTunes. Separate files of each track are required to play the album in random mode.
You want me to go through a thousand+ albums to do this? Plus, this would mean each album is 1 file, meaning you can't actually pick a specific track to listen to?

Seems that a functional and logical media player that plays songs in a order makes more sense. Seems that alphabetical song sorting makes NO sense under any scheme. Seems that sorting by file name makes a LOT of sense.

Is it possible that somehow Tesla designed the v8.0 media architecture in such a way that this is impossible without a major overhaul?

You want me to go through a thousand+ albums to do this? Plus, this would mean each album is 1 file, meaning you can't actually pick a specific track to listen to?

Seems that a functional and logical media player that plays songs in a order makes more sense. Seems that alphabetical song sorting makes NO sense under any scheme. Seems that sorting by file name makes a LOT of sense.

Is it possible that somehow Tesla designed the v8.0 media architecture in such a way that this is impossible without a major overhaul?

I did it for

"You can't always get what you want...."

I did it for 180 of over 3,700 albums. I rarely want to listen to all the tracks on any album so creating "new" albums seemed like a straight forward solution. Most of the work had been done for listening on iPods. It works for me....your results may vary. It is better than waiting around for an optimum solution that more than likely will not arrive.

"But if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need."

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
In the media player, when browsing USB songs in folder view, songs are listed alphabetically. They should be ordered by track number, or even more simply, by file name.
While I agree that the ordering should be by file name in folder view why even use this view? I never do. If I want the songs played in the correct album order then I play them via Album view.

My biggest complaint is that Tesla does not use album artist so I had to go and create a fictional artist for each album with multiple artists so I could play songs back correctly. For albums with only one artist it's OK naturally.

While I agree that the ordering should be by file name in folder view why even use this view? I never do. If I want the songs played in the correct album order then I play them via Album view.
[ raises hand ] - I can think of one reason to use folder view...
there doesn't seem to be a way to shuffle ALL songs by a single artist in the USB music player. For this reason, I use folder view and shuffle from there. My USB has just a single level of hierarchy, ie. one folder for each artist and all that artist's songs contained therein. Of course, I wouldn't have to go through this contortion if the MP simply supported shuffling all songs by an artist like any other MP3 player (among many other shortcomings)

Reactions: PhilDavid
[ raises hand ] - I can think of one reason to use folder view...
there doesn't seem to be a way to shuffle ALL songs by a single artist in the USB music player. For this reason, I use folder view and shuffle from there
Yeah but he stated he wanted them to play in order, not shuffled.

BTW my folder structure is by artist>album or perhaps general area > album such as various artists/soundtracks, but that is an individual preference and obviously would not work for the situation you described.

My biggest complaint is that Tesla does not use album artist so I had to go and create a fictional artist for each album with multiple artists so I could play songs back correctly. For albums with only one artist it's OK naturally.

I have lots of stuff that wasn’t ripped right and the tags aren’t all that good. The folders and file names are all perfect. Some album compilations have different artists, but one album artist. Some genres are alll over the place. Etc etc

I have everything organized perfectly in folders. WOrked great in v7.

I also have an insanely huge drive. 750gb of flacs. Browsing in anything but folder view feels incredibly cumbersome. That’s because I have managed my collection by folders, not tags, for decades. My bad I guess.

• Love
Yes. Those were the days for a short period of time. :(
Browsing in anything but folder view feels incredibly cumbersome. That’s because I have managed my collection by folders, not tags, for decades. My bad I guess.
I hear your pain.

It may be worth some time using something like DBPoweramp to "fix" some of your tags. It has a batch feature that can make it fairly painless.

I spent a cold winter day once just attacking the 30 or so "poor" folders I had that just did not work in the Tesla but did work just fine in my home audio system.

Reactions: whttiger25
FWIW I know this is a very long thread, so in case it's helpful to newer readers and contributors, here's a link to my last very detailed explanation of the automated workarounds I have dBpoweramp perform against a subset of my master library for use in my MS: Comprehensive USB Bug List (page 76). I am still using the same process with the latest V9 firmware.

I maintain a fairly well curated master music library and metadata. While I hate having to go through all the contortions to just play "my music, my way" in my MS, the combined workarounds allowed me to switch from Folder View to almost exclusively use the standard MP USB interfaces, with MP USB operating in an almost acceptable manner until it places me in the Tesla Twilight Zone from time-to-time. Even if you don't want to use dBpoweramp, some owners have been able to use parts of that info with other tools or manual methods to improve their MP USB situation. I also offer in that thread several of the more common MP USB problems, with my recommended troubleshooting and workarounds.

There have been subsequent discussions upthread in the past year on a couple newer V9 observations (October 2018+), how "total GB on your USB device" isn't likely as big of a deal when it comes to MP stability, as "the actual number of tracks + file structure on your USB device + combined tag data + the audio format/bitrate" (including how FLAC for some of us isn't as stable as MP3 and it's variants like VBR.)​

Continued good luck to all.

IMHO we shouldn't have to do any of this curated nonsense because you can throw a media collection at just about any sub $100 Android tablet and it will properly index and play the music.Our cars should be able to play USB music as well as that's the primary music/podcast source for many of us...

Now that we have functioning fart sounds in the car, maybe whoever assigned to the fart project can fix the media player? :rolleyes::po_O

Found It: A Pattern to Enter the Tesla Twilight Zone!

I've reported before about all sort of oddities and failures of Media Player, almost always tied to USB, and what I call being lost in the "Tesla Twilight Zone". The past few months I've had an increasing number of times when I enter my MS where USB music should be playing, but find it's not -- MP is still displaying the minimal USB interface that was up when I last parked, but with greyed-out album art and no track info, while the lower part of the MP source selection seems to have switched itself to TuneIn ...a very odd combination of things to say the least. While the rest of the CID is functional, nothing in MP is selectable, so a reboot is required which of course causes a rescan of my USB SSD before I'm operational again.

What I finally figured-out this morning is that at least most, if not all of the time, what triggers this type of MP failure is when my MS has put itself into a deeper sleep, aka antenna recognizing the FOB are off and driver door handle requires a physical touch to present or before allowing me to remove the wall connector cable. This morning, my MS had been sitting in the garage plugged-in for over 2 days when I observed the failure.

Since Tesla doesn't do anything with email reports for problems like this, the past few months I've been doing a verbal "Report: Media Player is dead again" and let my MS send it's diagnostic info off to the mothership every time it dies. Maybe that's a simple approach we should all take vs. just being discouraged and performing a manual boot each time MP lets us down.

Last edited:
My 2018 Model X was also doing what BertL was describing. It seemed to be having trouble waking up. I decided to see what would happen if I never messed with the media controls. What I found was that, it might take 2, 3 or 4 maybe more "wakeups", but eventually the car woke up properly and started playing the music where it left off possibly days ago. I did not try waking the car up 3 or 4 times in a row. I just drove it normally so like I said, I might have been a couple of days without music, but at some point it did come back to life at the point where it left off.

I am probably asking for it to malfunction now, but ever since I got version 2019.4.2, the USB player seems to wakeup properly everytime and play the music where it left off.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
Because Album View does not work, never has worked, and never WILL work.

My biggest complaint is that Tesla does not use album artist so I had to go and create a fictional artist for each album with multiple artists so I could play songs back correctly.
And there you go. There are other bugs with it, too.

For albums with only one artist it's OK naturally.

IMHO we shouldn't have to do any of this curated nonsense because you can throw a media collection at just about any sub $100 Android tablet and it will properly index and play the music.

I have one of those tablets, in fact. I would settle for:
(1) AptX so that I can stream at decent quality from my Android tablet to the car -- right now it's crappy "original Bluetooth" streaming only from Android, which is no good for any music
(2) Android Auto so that I didn't have to pick my tablet up from the center console and fiddle with it to change tracks

Since Tesla has neither of those things, this isn't a substitute. :-(

Our cars should be able to play USB music as well as that's the primary music/podcast source for many of us...
Yeah, but Tesla's software department are lazy irresponsible nincompoops.

Now that we have functioning fart sounds in the car, maybe whoever assigned to the fart project can fix the media player? :rolleyes::po_O

I have lots of stuff that wasn’t ripped right and the tags aren’t all that good. The folders and file names are all perfect. Some album compilations have different artists, but one album artist. Some genres are alll over the place. Etc etc
For mine, the ripping was correct, ripped straight from CD-Text, but Tesla doesn't handle it properly. What's the correct album and artist for a classical album? Or something made by committee?

I also have an insanely huge drive. 750gb of flacs. Browsing in anything but folder view feels incredibly cumbersome. That’s because I have managed my collection by folders, not tags, for decades. My bad I guess.
You're doing it right, Tesla is doing it wrong

First day on 2019.5.15

IT’S TRYING!!!!

Left garage playing song on USB (all FLAC). Stopped up the driveway to run back and get something. When I got back in car, song resumed exactly where it left off!!! Lest that be a fluke, when I arrived at first stop 15 minutes later, I got out to shop for 20 minutes. When I got back in... IT RESUMED!!!! Next stop. Again 20 minutes. Nope. Next stop, 5 minutes out of car. Got back in and it reloaded USB (fast though). So, figured my luck had run out. But no. When I selected USB it showed the song and position I had left at.

So that’s 3 out of 4 resumed.

It is finally trying to save state and resume FLAC on USB.

Now I am realistic. I fully expect memory leaks and the old behavior to crop back up. But at least I now know the code is there to correctly resume. Yay.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: aesculus and BertL
First day on 2019.5.15

IT’S TRYING!!!!

Left garage playing song on USB (all FLAC). Stopped up the driveway to run back and get something. When I got back in car, song resumed exactly where it left off!!! Lest that be a fluke, when I arrived at first stop 15 minutes later, I got out to shop for 20 minutes. When I got back in... IT RESUMED!!!! Next stop. Again 20 minutes. Nope. Next stop, 5 minutes out of car. Got back in and it reloaded USB (fast though). So, figured my luck had run out. But no. When I selected USB it showed the song and position I had left at.

So that’s 3 out of 4 resumed.

It is finally trying to save state and resume FLAC on USB.

Now I am realistic. I fully expect memory leaks and the old behavior to crop back up. But at least I now know the code is there to correctly resume. Yay.
Today 3 for 3 resuming USB FLAC song. Until media player hung requiring reboot when a phone call came in. Still... progress!

I wish the car wouldn't just randomly start playing from a randomly selected input source, sometimes upon entering the vehicle, sometimes while driving without an audio source playing. This happens whether or not I had a particular source playing or paused when I last exited the vehicle.

Day 3 it all goes downhill. No more resume. 0 for 4.
Since then been batting about 666. Also noticed that if it fails to resume selection, if I get out of car before starting another track, it will almost always resume next time I start car. So the “memory” is there but in some cases startup process misses it.

Bottom like: more or less fixed in 2019.5.15.

Reason I suspect many on this thread have not detected is that 5.15 not pushed to S or X yet. I’m testing on 3.