Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love this company: they have my back on accident repairs to my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About an hour ago my phone rang. Caller ID indicated the call was from Fremont, California, so I thought I should answer it thinking that maybe it was Tesla.

It was HQ for service calling. The caller indicated that he was one of a team of three at Tesla service monitoring progress on repairs to my car after I got rear ended at a stop light by a clueless driver. They've already had a number of conversations with SDR, the local Maryland shop that's doing the work, and as SDR is not yet an licensed Tesla Shop (application is pending), arranged for the structural repair work to be done at one of the three Tesla licensed shops in Maryland.

They wanted me to know that they have my back and told me to call if I had any questions or concerns as the repair work on my car progresses. He also said they they will try to be sure the necessary parts are provided as expeditiously as possible.

What other company would provide this kind of care and service? In my long experience there have been none. You've got to love it.

I've always tried to deal with the company and its personnel fairly, modestly, and politely. I guest what goes around comes around.

The only reason they have this team of three is there have been so many horror stories about cars being in body shops for many months, waiting for parts. I believe the Motley Fool story is the one that finally caused tesla to take some action.

Exemplary customer service? Not in my opinion. It was a crisis mode reaction to the negative publicity, long overdue.

Just today, there was a new post on Tesla's Model S forum by a guy whose car has been in the shop for 2 months, waiting for 2 parts, with no ETA in sight.

i really hope your experience is a good one and i wish a speedy recovery for your car, i got one of those calls every months for the 6 months my car was in the shop, and more apologetic ones after the car was finally done. the words felt good but were largely empty at the time. I really do hope things have improved since then, but my best friend just got a 1.5 month at best ETA for a single quarter panel replacement part. best of luck man!

The only reason they have this team of three is there have been so many horror stories about cars being in body shops for many months, waiting for parts. I believe the Motley Fool story is the one that finally caused tesla to take some action.

Exemplary customer service? Not in my opinion. It was a crisis mode reaction to the negative publicity, long overdue.

Just today, there was a new post on Tesla's Model S forum by a guy whose car has been in the shop for 2 months, waiting for 2 parts, with no ETA in sight.
While I mostly agree with your assessment, I don't agree with your perspective.

It's not only about what a company does, it's how they handle it after the fact.

Tesla has been having issues getting parts out and repairs taking months. Instead of allowing it to continue, they're stepping up their game, got a team together and trying to get parts out faster. Good for them.

About an hour ago my phone rang. Caller ID indicated the call was from Fremont, California, so I thought I should answer it thinking that maybe it was Tesla.

It was HQ for service calling. The caller indicated that he was one of a team of three at Tesla service monitoring progress on repairs to my car after I got rear ended at a stop light by a clueless driver. They've already had a number of conversations with SDR, the local Maryland shop that's doing the work, and as SDR is not yet an licensed Tesla Shop (application is pending), arranged for the structural repair work to be done at one of the three Tesla licensed shops in Maryland.

They wanted me to know that they have my back and told me to call if I had any questions or concerns as the repair work on my car progresses. He also said they they will try to be sure the necessary parts are provided as expeditiously as possible.

What other company would provide this kind of care and service? In my long experience there have been none. You've got to love it.

I've always tried to deal with the company and its personnel fairly, modestly, and politely. I guest what goes around comes around.
This is good to hear! Especially as a fellow Maryland resident. If I were to find myself in need for repairs, I'll definitely try to see if I can utilize the same shop(s) as you. Hard to find folks that have had experience working on a Tesla.

The reason does not matter. It only matters that Tesla heard and have been making changes to improve the situation.

That's the problem with so many people; dwell on the past, don't acknowledge improvements and certainly continue to be critical of those improvements. And those people wonder why they don't get treated like the OP, who's always dealt with Tesla in a positive and respectful manner. Yeah, what goes around comes around, people. Good and bad.

Not sure I saw it written somewhere, so here is where there seems to be a white elefant in this room.

Timely spare parts supply needs an intricate logistics concept that statistically hatches probable use rates and stores sufficient amounts of parts in regional centers within reasonable distance of all locations to guarantee next day service on 90+ % of all part, or air freights from a more central location.

Clearly, Tesla can not afford or does not bother to do so. It seems that many parts are only bought or even manufactured when the order comes in.

Lucky those who can solve their issue by listening to the soothing voice of a customer representative on the phone, or where the SC holds the part in question locally, for all others the question becomes: does part logistics (storage, network) exist at all? Where?

Clearly this situation is not acceptable for Model 3 customers, and might spell failure of the Model 3 marketing if not addressed appropriately.

Besides, in many jurisdictions there is a right of the customer to obtain parts and repair instructions via non-branded shops, and for the manufacturer to withhold parts or information under whatever excuse is outright illegal.

The monopoly of Tesla repair and service is starkly reminiscent of the way the US government used to handle rocket purchases. It was Elon Musk who vigorously demanded fair market access to such tenders for other (commercial) companies, taking this to court.

But of course a car is much more complex than a rocket and therefore can not be trusted outside of said organization, not even to branded dealerships. And all of that is intended to the benefit of mankind. Service should not make money. Well. Yes. Funny you should mention that... .

My car has been in the shop for a month and half now and parts are still due to arrive, got in an accident for no fault of mine. Not having high hopes from the advocate either. @artsci could you share who you spoke with? I would love to get a similar "we care" treatment.

I started at the top via a PM on this site to JonMc who then apparently delegated it to a team. This also included my shop's application to become an authorized Tesla repair facility. The person I heard directly from via email was Calena Nguyen | Body Shop Customer Advocate, Customer Support. Another person on the team called me as well, as referenced in the original post.

Reactions: krazineurons
My car has been in the shop for a month and half now and parts are still due to arrive, got in an accident for no fault of mine. Not having high hopes from the advocate either. @artsci could you share who you spoke with? I would love to get a similar "we care" treatment.

The email address and phone number are located on the Tesla Body Shop Support page: Body Shop Support

And isn't a shame that he was reachable and acted immediately to provide assitance. Isn't it routine at other major car companies that senior VPs are reachable by customers?;)
I get your point, but other companies don't have the issues Tesla is having with regards to unreasonably long wait times for body shop repairs. Most Chevy Bolt owners, for instance, will not have a need to contact a senior VP at GM over something so basic. I think it's great that Jon is reachable and responsive, thank goodness! I just lament the fact that anyone needs to contact him.

Reactions: Barry
I read a post where guy was one month out of warranty, had noise in rear end, 38k miles, they said tough luck, $4k for all new axles and hardware. Totally insane, 38k miles, both axles go bad. Tesla tells him to suck it up. Bad PR, zero karma. I am gear head, never in my life have I heard that. Tesla didn't investigate why they failed??