Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loving phone instead of FOB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 phone key FTW. This may be one of my favorite features. Although I usually stop about 20feet from the car and wait for it to lock when leaving, just don't fully "trust" it yet (but I'm sure I soon will)

And the only times it hasn't worked was been when I force quit the Tesla App and then re-opend or turned bluetooth off and then back on ( both times I had to restart the phone to get it working again, when intuition suggested it should have started working again without a phone restart)

I admit I was one of the guys who wrote a "Phone as key as major issues" thread, but ever since I figured out that you need to keep the app set on the Model 3 (not X or S if you have other vehicles), it will work perfectly. Since then, I have not had a single issue.

+1 phone key FTW. This may be one of my favorite features. Although I usually stop about 20feet from the car and wait for it to lock when leaving, just don't fully "trust" it yet (but I'm sure I soon will)

And the only times it hasn't worked was been when I force quit the Tesla App and then re-opend or turned bluetooth off and then back on ( both times I had to restart the phone to get it working again, when intuition suggested it should have started working again without a phone restart)
You can walk away and just check the app to see if it got locked. I used to do that. Now I just listen for the beep as I walk away.

I have a Samsung S7 and thought folks were misdiagnosing their phone-as-key entry problem when they claimed it didn't work in their back pocket. I've now seen that problem too, but rather than take the phone out of my pocket and hold it up to the car, all I do is rotate my body to give the phone in rear pocket, a line-of-sight to the drivers handle, and it works fine. Apparently one's body is a good Bluetooth shield.

I spoke too soon.
After not having any issues with my phone for about a month, it took several tries to open my door yesterday (of course, it was raining too) to finally open the door. I'm not sure what was different this time.

iPhone X user. Works 9/10 times. I’m trying to figure out what’s different about the failed instances without any luck so far. At first I thought that having an app other than the Tesla app open (ie in the foreground) was interfering but that’s not it. Are iPhone users setting “background app refresh” to ON? I found it was draining my phone battery quickly so turned it off.

iPhone X user. Works 9/10 times. I’m trying to figure out what’s different about the failed instances without any luck so far. At first I thought that having an app other than the Tesla app open (ie in the foreground) was interfering but that’s not it. Are iPhone users setting “background app refresh” to ON? I found it was draining my phone battery quickly so turned it off.

My iphone X has background refresh on for the Tesla app. My success rate is about 29/30.

I have the car for two weeks and yesterday was the first time that it almost didn't work. It was also raining.
The car unlocked fine, but when I tried to put it in drive, the screen complained about the need for a key card. As soon as got my phone and looked at it (iPhone X), which unlocks it, the car started working. I didn't have to do anything else. Weird.

I also love not having a fob/key in my pocket. except when the phone doesn't unlock my doors.

I don't even mind pulling out my wallet to tap the b-pillar. I just wish they put a sensor on the passenger side, because most of the time, I'm opening that side first for my 3-yr-old. When phone doesn't work, I'm walking to driver side and back.

It fails every 5 or 6 attempts, which does wear down on you. To the point where I'm willing to put up with a fob in my pocket.

And now that it's getting colder and I'm wearing jeans again, I'm noticing that the car can't detect the phone when it's in my pocket.

This!!!!! Sometimes I'm carrying my two year old and it doesn't work so I have to walk to the driver door...take my wallet out..put it back in and then go back and strap him into the car seat. Sensor by the passenger would've been great.

A follow up on my experience after a week of ownership (36.2). A couple times the car did not unlock despite the phone (iPhone 6s plus) in my pocket. I noticed however that as long as I just pressed the wake up button (on the side) that did the trick. The phone needed to wake up basically. No login / app use needed. I confirmed this a couple more times. Hope this helps someone.