Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Coolant warning, again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paid $69 out of warrantee to repair Low Coolant back in May, and it started again yesterday. Not happy and will be less so if I have to pay again.

As before, a few questions, thanks.

I am bringing the car into Tesla service on Tuesday, but wonder, should I NOT drive it, till then? Is the coolant for the air conditioning?

Is Tesla service the best or only place to have this issue addressed? Or can any mechanic resolve this?

Input appreciated. BTW, am in south florida, it's been HOT!

J

Paid $69 out of warrantee to repair Low Coolant back in May, and it started again yesterday. Not happy and will be less so if I have to pay again.

As before, a few questions, thanks.

I am bringing the car into Tesla service on Tuesday, but wonder, should I NOT drive it, till then? Is the coolant for the air conditioning?

Is Tesla service the best or only place to have this issue addressed? Or can any mechanic resolve this?

Input appreciated. BTW, am in south florida, it's been HOT!

J
I would take it to the dentist and let them replace the coolant, 🤣

What was involved with the coolant repair last time? The coolant is also used to cool the battery durning charging or driving.

I had a coolant leak a couple of years back and Tesla Service noted it as high priority and fit me in the same day. I’d take it to the Tesla as and indie may not be familiar with the coolant system plumbing or have easy access to repair parts needed. In my case it was some 3-way coolant pump that was leaking.

When u get low coolant warning, there's still coolant in the system, just low in reserve tank. u can still drive it but ck the level, if its slow leak u can drive for a while if its fast, u'll run out of coolant fast n get air in the system n then u start getting things overheated with power reduced warnings n such.
AC is separate system with exception of Battery chiller uses freon/coolant heat exchanger to cool off battery.
Remove the plastic by windshield under frunk to reveal coolant tank. If u remove frunk tub you'll gain access to a lot of other hoses u can ck for leaks.
Like other poster said, it would help to know where was the last leak, good possibility its still there.
Any coolant on the ground where u park?

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Hi @Sohoprom ,

I do not think you ever listed the cause of the earlier repair...

I had a coolant leak that we added coolant and it worked briefly
and then it wanted more...

Rodents chewed the main wiring harness and two of the coolant hoses
feeding the rear drive unit.

A good and bad feature of these car is the "Aero" panels underneath the car.
They keep everything clean...
But they also can hold leaking coolant from escaping.
When Mobile Service dropped the rear aero panel about a pint and a half of
the pure blue coolant hit the ground...

Beware of contaminating the coolant...
If you contaminate the coolant the repair bill will be as bad or worse
than a replacement traction battery...
Too much conductivity to flush...

Good luck and be Careful,

Shawn

Hi @Sohoprom ,

I do not think you ever listed the cause of the earlier repair...

I had a coolant leak that we added coolant and it worked briefly
and then it wanted more...

Rodents chewed the main wiring harness and two of the coolant hoses
feeding the rear drive unit.

A good and bad feature of these car is the "Aero" panels underneath the car.
They keep everything clean...
But they also can hold leaking coolant from escaping.
When Mobile Service dropped the rear aero panel about a pint and a half of
the pure blue coolant hit the ground...

Beware of contaminating the coolant...
If you contaminate the coolant the repair bill will be as bad or worse
than a replacement traction battery...
Too much conductivity to flush...

Good luck and be Careful,

Shawn
How can the coolant get contaminated?

Hi @KYVolsfan ,

Not usually intentionally, but imagine one in a hurry uses a dirty funnel or a jug of “old “ coolant.
In a gas car the coolant or antifreeze could be pretty nasty and the vehicle would function.
If it needed a flush it was a fairly inexpensive procedure.

In our electric cars the coolant reaches so far- To the battery, the drive units, and the motor and other passages unknown.
If bad or contaminated coolant is introduced into this system the repair bill for flushing the system can reach several thousand dollars.
There are many attributes of the coolant that many ( including me) are unaware of that can cause serious trouble.

This is why your Tesla tech will turn pale at the thought of customer / owners adding coolant.

Happy New Year !!!

Shawn

The coolant has to be pure, or it will conduct electricity. The reason Tesla uses the special coolant is because it is non-conductive. Just like pure water is used in some cases as an insulator because it's the contaminates that makes water a good conductor, the same goes with the coolant.