Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Mileage Auction vs Tesla CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless of course someone is fine paying for a car that looks like crap... :rolleyes:

mine was in super condition, so no, I would not be OK with that. but, the T's and C's are clear. You have to buy the car first.

I wish it wasn't so, and I wish the old CPO's were around, but that is not the case.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you are okay with following those T&C but I know personally I would not accept a damaged car at these prices and I doubt I am alone. We do know from forum posts that lately when damage is brought to their attention that they have sometimes agreed to fix those issues on a due bill. It seems with the curent CPO program they will treat you as badly as you allow them to teat you... :p

Have you actually bought a preowned recently from Tesla? if you have, and been successful in your approach, great.

As stated, I would simply reject the car if it was not to my liking. Enough people do this, would send a loud message to Tesla to get their act together, and put the "C" in back into "PO" More effective i think than getting them to agree to fix damage, which they may not do in a timely manner. JMO...

Have you actually bought a preowned recently from Tesla? if you have, and been successful in your approach, great.

As stated, I would simply reject the car if it was not to my liking. Enough people do this, would send a loud message to Tesla to get their act together, and put the "C" in back into "PO" More effective i think than getting them to agree to fix damage, which they may not do in a timely manner. JMO...

I agree. As more people balk at accepting damaged cars, they will be compelled to treat their customers better.

Perhaps the Tesla CPO program will one day be as good as the Kia CPO Program :p

The price of servicing a Tesla has come down quite a lot but it's quite still expensive (Air Conditioning issue used to cost $4,000 in 2016 but now at a bargain price of $3,800 in 2019!)

So unless you know how to do-it-yourself, I agree with @aerodyne: It might be wise to get Tesla warranty.
Did you even read the posts you linked to?
The price did not come down, that person paid 4K because the DC-DC converter was also replaced.

can this be address with the warranty tho since its a 8 year warranty?
Chances are pretty good that will be considered "normal degradation" and not covered by warranty. Typically something in the battery has to fail for them to consider replacing it, and even then you get a refurbished battery with a "similar level of degradation".

It's a shame to hear the Enterprise rentals come with such a low SOC. When you pick it up, they expect you to immediately go find somewhere to charge? What if you're not near a supercharger? Now you have to go find an L2 charger somewhere and occupy yourself in an unfamiliar area for a few hours.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If you are particular about options the 7 days might not be sufficient though... The best thing to do if the car looks like crap is to reject delivery and ask for your money back or have them give you something in writing that states you have the credit on file until you find a suitable car or you request the money back.

I don't care what their fine print states, but they can't take the position that you should either accept a car that looks like crap or forgo your deposit. The deposit is paid in good faith that the car offered for sale would be somewhat comparable to a used car in the price range you can buy from a premium car dealer.

I'm at that point with the CPO process. Maybe a refund would be best, especially if enforce a 7 day deposit transfer

I just bought 15 MS P85D from an independent dealer. It has 48.5k and 1 month left on the warranty. However, I got it around $8k cheaper than directly from Tesla. I thought about it as I would buying the ESA. I would need $8k in repairs to make the difference. I called and got a rundown of service on it and it looks like the MCU was already replaced, so crossing my fingers that nothing else pops up.

That being said, my thumb wheel broke yesterday which seems to be common but I still have 500 miles left on the warranty and they are sending a mobile service team to fix it.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Personally... I bought a 2015 70d with 34k miles for 42k. it's pretty loaded, has a year/16k miles of the full warranty and has 5 years of the powertrain warranty. I am eligible to extend the warranty if I want.

I brought this car in to my local Tesla Service people and they replaced any recall items and sent me on my way. 3 different people there told me that it was the best deal that they've seen so far and that my car was "pristine".

I couldn't be happier with the car, but having the protection of the unlimited warranty for even a couple months is huge to work out any bugs that you may inherit.

You're going too love it. Good Luck!

I just bought 15 MS P85D from an independent dealer. It has 48.5k and 1 month left on the warranty. However, I got it around $8k cheaper than directly from Tesla. I thought about it as I would buying the ESA. I would need $8k in repairs to make the difference. I called and got a rundown of service on it and it looks like the MCU was already replaced, so crossing my fingers that nothing else pops up.

That being said, my thumb wheel broke yesterday which seems to be common but I still have 500 miles left on the warranty and they are sending a mobile service team to fix it.

May I speak bluntly: Are you crazy?!?

Whenever you have the opportunity to buy the ESA, BUY THE ESA/extended warranty!

This falls into the "no brainer" category . . . .

I just bought 15 MS P85D from an independent dealer. It has 48.5k and 1 month left on the warranty. However, I got it around $8k cheaper than directly from Tesla. I thought about it as I would buying the ESA

May I speak bluntly: Are you crazy?!?

Whenever you have the opportunity to buy the ESA, BUY THE ESA/extended warranty!

This falls into the "no brainer" category . . . .

Well since he bought from a third-party dealer the car doesn't qualify for buying an ESA from Tesla. (Assuming of course that Tesla knows that, but do you want to risk buying it and then Tesla invalidating it in the future because you violated their terms?)

The ESA also mandates annual maintenance that is really overpriced. You are likely better off just setting all the of the money aside and keeping it for repairs.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Well since he bought from a third-party dealer the car doesn't qualify for buying an ESA from Tesla. (Assuming of course that Tesla knows that, but do you want to risk buying it and then Tesla invalidating it in the future because you violated their terms?)

The ESA also mandates annual maintenance that is really overpriced. You are likely better off just setting all the of the money aside and keeping it for repairs.

As a huge proponent of not wanting to own a Tesla without warranty coverage your logic is making me rethink my position.

If you buy a dealer car for $8-10K less than a comparable CPO car, it would take quite a bit of bad luck for you to ring up $8K in repairs.

As a huge proponent of not wanting to own a Tesla without warranty coverage your logic is making me rethink my position.

If you buy a dealer car for $8-10K less than a comparable CPO car, it would take quite a bit of bad luck for you to ring up $8K in repairs.
Yeah that’s not wrong. Not to mention the larger items like the battery and drivetrain are still covered for a bit longer. I’ve had some bad luck with my car so far, but quite a bit of it I could have done myself. Condensation in tail lights can be fixed, or good used replacements can be found for much cheaper. Door handles while extremely expensive to have replaced are generally a $5-$20 fix. My battery also went out, which if I was without the bumper to bumper warranty would have still been covered by the 8 year battery warranty. My autopilot camera and my MCU are giving me trouble as well, those would be expensive out of warranty and probably not as DIY friendly as the other things.

Hmm.

If they take his money for the ESA, that's creates a contract, no?

If/when he has repairs, they'll cover them.

If not, he gets his ESA money back.

Seems pretty straight forward to me, but I'm not an expert . . . .

BUY THE ESA!

Just an update:

The seller wanted 41500 so did not sell, they said next week will run again and will lower it to 40k. Has warranty until 11/19 and the condition it got a 5/5. I initially thought it was a 2015 70, but it is a 60. But for that price I dont think I can pass it up with 6k miles If it sells for 37k I will be tempted to pull the trigger. The prices on the "CPO" Teslas have all gone up for some reason. I was seeing them selling for 40k and now cheapest one I see is 43k and not even that good of a condition so not sure what happened there.

Last edited:
Just an update:

The seller wanted 41500 so did not sell, they said next week will run again and will lower it to 40k. Has warranty until 11/19 and the condition it got a 5/5. I initially thought it was a 2015 70, but it is a 60. But for that price I dont think I can pass it up with 6k miles If it sells for 37k I will be tempted to pull the trigger. The prices on the "CPO" Teslas have all gone up for some reason. I was seeing them selling for 40k and now cheapest one I see is 43k and not even that good of a condition so not sure what happened there.

cpo thru tesla directly?

Just an update:

CPO prices have been going up and down since the inception of the CPO program. They go up by tens of thousands sometimes to come down by tens of thousands. Just stick to your budget and look for a car within your budget and ignore the games they play with pricing.