Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Mileage Auction vs Tesla CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to the forum and been reading alot on Teslas the past month, and decided to go ahead and purchase one soon. I was hoping I can get some insight on how realible these cars actually are. I am seeing the range for a 2015 Tesla CPO is around $40-43k with around 30-45k miles. I found a Tesla in the auction that is a 2015 Tesla with only 6k miles with no warranty. Not sure how much itll go for, but lets say $37k. Which is a better buy? The CPO with 4 year extended warranty or the 6k miles with warranty ending end of the year?

Thanks!

Yeah definitely go the CPO Route. The only negative is that some of the cars they sell are completely trashed so be sure to tell them from the beginning that you expect the car to be undamaged and look over the photos. Don't pay or sign anything until you inspect the car and confirm the car is not damaged. If you find damage, have them agree to fix it on a due bill or reject delivery and look for another car that is undamaged.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
If the car looks like crap when you go to pick it up, you have 7 days to pick another. Have a second one already picked out before you go....

If you are particular about options the 7 days might not be sufficient though... The best thing to do if the car looks like crap is to reject delivery and ask for your money back or have them give you something in writing that states you have the credit on file until you find a suitable car or you request the money back.

I don't care what their fine print states, but they can't take the position that you should either accept a car that looks like crap or forgo your deposit. The deposit is paid in good faith that the car offered for sale would be somewhat comparable to a used car in the price range you can buy from a premium car dealer.

Tesla no longer has a CPO program. They just sells used Teslas with an extended warranty.

No one gives a rat's derriere what they call it.

Most people parting with their hard earned money expect a car in decent shape that is at least comparable to a used Kia that you can buy at a Kia dealership. Surely, Tesla can offer a quality product at least as well as a Kia dealer selling $15,000 used cars.

If anyone is in the process of buying a CPO Tesla, make sure it is not damaged and if it is, either ask them to fix the damage or reject delivery and transfer your deposit to an undamaged car.

Last edited:
I am new to the forum and been reading alot on Teslas the past month, and decided to go ahead and purchase one soon. I was hoping I can get some insight on how realible these cars actually are. I am seeing the range for a 2015 Tesla CPO is around $40-43k with around 30-45k miles. I found a Tesla in the auction that is a 2015 Tesla with only 6k miles with no warranty. Not sure how much itll go for, but lets say $37k. Which is a better buy? The CPO with 4 year extended warranty or the 6k miles with warranty ending end of the year?

Thanks!
Im all for risk vs reward, but the risk here doesn’t seem worth it to save $6k. Why doesn’t the auction car have a warranty? Is it just because it now four years old or is there another reason? Not knowing any more about it, it does seem somewhat likely it’s in service date was some time later in 2015 and you would have four years from that date. Maybe it would have a few months for you to get any potential issues ironed out.

I reread your OP, you said it had no warranty but then later said the warranty expires at the end of the year. Does this just mean it doesn’t have an extended warranty and does have some remainder of the factory warranty? You could always see what it goes for and decide on the spot if the price is worth paying.

Im all for risk vs reward, but the risk here doesn’t seem worth it to save $6k. Why doesn’t the auction car have a warranty? Is it just because it now four years old or is there another reason? Not knowing any more about it, it does seem somewhat likely it’s in service date was some time later in 2015 and you would have four years from that date. Maybe it would have a few months for you to get any potential issues ironed out.

Actually he says it has warranty until the end of the year:

or the 6k miles with warranty ending end of the year?

I would think ~10 months of warranty is plenty to get any issues ironed out.

Thanks for the messages everyone. To clarify... The seller is an enterprise rental, which was probably used for rentals during that 4 year time, hence the low mileage. It has the remaining 4 year warranty that ends in December. It is located in Hawaii so probably would cost about 1k to ship to california.

I would not buy a Tesla Enterprise Rental. In my experience these cars sit in the lot with very little battery charge. I was offered a choice of 2 Tesla Enterprise rentals during my last service visit. One had 35 miles of range and the other had 65 miles of range. It is not good to have the battery sit with such low charge. Charging to 90% did not get me close to the 233 that a 2018 MS 75D should get. This car had about 1500 miles on it. I have a friend who also experienced receiving a Tesla Enterprise rental with very low charge. I don't remember the exact number but it was in the 50 mile range.

I would not buy a Tesla Enterprise Rental. In my experience these cars sit in the lot with very little battery charge. I was offered a choice of 2 Tesla Enterprise rentals during my last service visit. One had 35 miles of range and the other had 65 miles of range. It is not good to have the battery sit with such low charge. Charging to 90% did not get me close to the 233 that a 2018 MS 75D should get. This car had about 1500 miles on it. I have a friend who also experienced receiving a Tesla Enterprise rental with very low charge. I don't remember the exact number but it was in the 50 mile range.

can this be address with the warranty tho since its a 8 year warranty?

Phil...i agree with you in principle, but in practice, as reported by some on the board, such an approach may not work in a timely matter unless you are circling a black hole.....

We know there are cars in the Tesla CPO inventory that are in great shape so my point is who here would want to pay their hard earned money for a car with a damaged interior or exterior. So the best approach is to let them know you are not looking for a car that looks like crap and if it does look like crap at delivery either ask them to fix it or ask for your money back and start over.

Unless of course someone is fine paying for a car that looks like crap... :rolleyes:

Unless of course someone is fine paying for a car that looks like crap... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

mine was in super condition, so no, I would not be OK with that. but, the T's and C's are clear. You have to buy the car first.

I wish it wasn't so, and I wish the old CPO's were around, but that is not the case.