Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low pitch rattle coming from front - no fix available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So based on reading this entire thread, this problem seems isolated to September 2017 - December 2017 builds.
Is there anyone from that build time reading this thread that doesn’t have this problem?
As @jelloslug said, earlier.
Mine was delivered with that noise, produced around christmas 2016, delivered in Europe march-17. Vin is 177xxx.

If I remember correctly last summer, both "premium" and non PuP loaners have had the sound, no pre-facelift have had it. I also believe som AP1 facelifts had it, but I can not remember if any with the Continteal air springs (I have Firestone) has.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
As @jelloslug said, earlier.
Mine was delivered with that noise, produced around christmas 2016, delivered in Europe march-17. Vin is 177xxx.

If I remember correctly last summer, both "premium" and non PuP loaners have had the sound, no pre-facelift have had it. I also believe som AP1 facelifts had it, but I can not remember if any with the Continteal air springs (I have Firestone) has.
Don't forget that it has nothing to do with the air suspension as several coil cars (mine included) have the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari and CaliSol
I've had two problems on my Dec '16 S75 with coils. The first was due to bad dampeners on the rear struts, but I imagine the same thing could happen to the front struts. The second rattle came from the front and sounded a lot like you described. It was maddening. This is what the service center wrote:

Technician identified customer's concern. The strut brace is contacting the body frame. Technician recommends and did modify strut to not create a contact point on body frame. Technician verified abnormal noise is no longer present.​

I was very wary of his diagnosis because it did NOT sound like a strut brace contacting the body frame, but lo and behold, he fixed it

I've had two problems on my Dec '16 S75 with coils. The first was due to bad dampeners on the rear struts, but I imagine the same thing could happen to the front struts. The second rattle came from the front and sounded a lot like you described. It was maddening. This is what the service center wrote:

Technician identified customer's concern. The strut brace is contacting the body frame. Technician recommends and did modify strut to not create a contact point on body frame. Technician verified abnormal noise is no longer present.​

I was very wary of his diagnosis because it did NOT sound like a strut brace contacting the body frame, but lo and behold, he fixed it
Did they mention where the contact point was?

It's been about 5 months and it's still gone. The tech sort of demurred, and he did some hand-waving and said something like "yeah, there's this part that sags and starts to hit the body ... and well, I think I know what it is." I got the impression from him that this was something he's had to fix before and that it was somewhat common as cars got some miles on them.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and vraev
What about "auto pilot"? Is it an assistant to the driver or driver is assisting the "auto pilot"? I know that the last update made auto pilot much better than the previous versions. But think about how you use auto pilot. You have to hold the steering wheel tight so that you can take control anytime, keep your leg ready to press the brake pedal, keep your eyes on the road to make sure it is following the lane markers as well as there are lane markers on the road. In other words you are being the assistant to auto pilot.

Keeping your finger or hand "counteracting the torque of the steering wheel" will solve your problems with the white lights coming on frequently. I just keep my fingers draped loosely across the bottom while driving on autopilot.

It's been about 5 months and it's still gone. The tech sort of demurred, and he did some hand-waving and said something like "yeah, there's this part that sags and starts to hit the body ... and well, I think I know what it is." I got the impression from him that this was something he's had to fix before and that it was somewhat common as cars got some miles on them.
Looks like I'll just have to pull some covers off and poke around a bit...

It could fit what SC told me, that it was "something with the upper suspension" but they would not be more precise.

Could you unclip the plastic covers in the frunk and take a picture of your modified strut braces?

I have had same issue on my June 2016 75D refresh since delivery and have noticed on brand new test drives as well.

I believe it actually may be the mechanism that vibrates for lane departure warnings? It appears to be the almost identical vibrations although not as high frequency as when overshooting a lane.

Could it be that the mechanism has a floating vibrator that moves on its own when driving over rough surfaces?

Does anyone have details/drawings of the lane departure vibrator mechanism?

Are
Screenshot_20180418-115035_Chrome.jpg
the strut braces the two silver bars close to the windscreen in this picture?