TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Low speed pedestrian warning sounds coming soon

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Slarty1080, Sep 13, 2019.

?

Do you like the new proposed Tesla low speed pedestrian warning sounds?

Poll closed Oct 13, 2019.
  1. Yes good idea

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. No bad idea

48 vote(s)
    68.6%
  3. Not sure

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. Brnn

Brnn Member

Can't believe someone hasn't simply unplugged to speaker to see if a warning pops up on the screen. That's step one. I get my car next week, if no one else has done it by then, I will try. If that doesn't work I'll measure the impedance of the speaker and stick a similar value resistor (with a high power rating in case the speaker is amplified) in the connector.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. silentsnow31802

I wouldn't say it a bad idea.... However I do not like it.

• Like x 1
  3. 67King

67King Member

There is data showing a correlation, Do Hybrids Hit Pedestrians More Often? NHTSA Report May Say So

I wouldn't say that it is only blind people who rely on noise.....we all do, we just don't realize it. Folks, especially dealing with kids or whatever, will walk across parking lots while distracted if they don't hear a noise. And kids do, too. Our brains are just programmed to assume things are safe in parking lots when you don't hear a car. Over time, that will change, but for now, the noise certainly seems to be targeting an issue that has data saying it is real.

• Informative x 1
  4. superfunk

superfunk Member

I wonder how much we are exacerbating the problem though? I saw some study once from a city somewhere in one of the Nordic countries where they took away all curbs, signs, stoplights etc and found it increased safety because it forced people to be more aware, make eye contact, etc. or like football, where more padding and harder helmets and such increases risk and damage from harder hits, and the thinking is that going back to softer/less padding forces players to adapt their hits to better match the available equipment. Sorry, totally speculating. But I wonder if we’re better off keeping the safety features toned down to force people to adjust to the new reality.

• Informative x 1
  5. superfunk

superfunk Member

Any brave soul dig into the front fascia yet to inspect the speaker? I saw someone post somewhere that adding an inline 25 ohm resistor might remove the noise.

6. tna9001

tna9001 Member

I wouldn’t want to be the guy who disabled the federally mandated safety device then hit a pedestrian. You’d be bankrupt by the time that would be over.

7. superfunk

superfunk Member

Is it mandated for dealer install or a law to have it on your car as an owner? I don’t believe the latter is the case or older EVs would be required to add the noise too.

8. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

Honestly, I'm kinda diggin. I agree it's ridiculous but it is kinda fun. I would love to hear if the inside occupants can hear it with the windows down. Or what if hackers could find a way to modify the sounds to something the user selects? Imagine the possibilities. Or...wondering if that sound is completely up to the manufacturer. Is it patentable? Copyrightable? If so it will eventually lead to a cacaphony of electronic music in a crowded parking lot.

9. tna9001

tna9001 Member

Would you want a jury to decide?

10. superfunk

superfunk Member

Nope. This is why I’m wanting to figure this out now by asking and seeking information, see. Why would you blindly make an assumption of a law? Will cars grandfathered in without pedestrian speakers be exempt from prosecution by that same jury? Doesn’t make sense.

11. Electrph

Electrph Member

While I agree completely I would not modify my vehicle so as to set myself up for lawsuit how would this play out given that mandate is not until 2020 , Tesla decided to implement it now ( there is a 50% of vehicles now mandate indicated on some sources but what does that mean ??) Also as far as I know no requirement to retrofit i.e. model 3 produced few months back no sounds / mine Sept build has sounds
    So if I disable say my forward only sound (reminds me of a dragging brake caliper btw) my car was manufactured before law is effective in 2020 so not required ??

• Like x 1
  12. superfunk

superfunk Member

This is the logic I’m looking for! Not digging in to right/wrong, risk/reward, or anything like that. Just the logic and facts. Also the question in my mind is around things like bicycles...they easily go 20 mph...using the logic of the pedestrian speaker, must they one day require noise makers for pedestrian safety?

13. jimbo_hippo

jimbo_hippo Member

Anyone who gas tried to warn a teenager with AirPods that his dinner is incoming will realise how futile all this is.

• Like x 1