TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Low speed pedestrian warning sounds coming soon

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Slarty1080, Sep 13, 2019.

?

Do you like the new proposed Tesla low speed pedestrian warning sounds?

Poll closed Oct 13, 2019.
  1. Yes good idea

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. No bad idea

48 vote(s)
    68.6%
  3. Not sure

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. Slarty1080

Slarty1080 Member

All electric cars will be getting low speed pedestrian warning sounds in the near future - this is what the Model 3 might sound likee:
    This Is What A Tesla Will Soon Sound Like At Low Speeds | CleanTechnica

Not sure about this, it seems to be a good idea for visualy impaired pedestrians, but how far do you go down that route? It also encourges all pedestrians not to look and drivers to rapidly acceleration to above 18mph to avoid the noise.

2. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

3. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

I couldn't vote, as I like the reverse sound, but the forward sound is horrible.

Forward sound needs to be a Cylon's visor sound, or the Jetson's hover car sound.

• Like x 1
  4. Slarty1080

Slarty1080 Member

I just hope that we are provided with a range of suitable sounds and that it’s not too easy to hack. I mean, hopefully we won't be having listen to Colonel Bogey or worse from comedians

5. RedAppleHam

RedAppleHam New Member

I voted no, since there is no data that shows there are fewer accidents with pedestrians as a direct result of such noisemakers. I believe it is dangerous for unsighted people to rely on noise alone to determine when it’s safe to cross a street. Finally, there is enough noise pollution in urban areas without adding more.

6. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

My 2013 Honda Fit EV had it and people still walked in front me while looking at their mobile devices, never even looking up .......

7. Dan203

Dan203 Active Member

I kinda hate that my car is going to have this. I'm hoping someone figures out an easy way to disable.

• Like x 2
  8. tna9001

tna9001 Member

Too bad we can choose the sound, that could be fun:D.

9. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Yup, same here.

So I'm hoping that it becomes something we can have fun with, and have a wide selection of sounds we can play. I would love to be able to pump the "Emissions Testing Mode" sounds out of the front of the car.

10. tna9001

tna9001 Member

How about expanding Fart mode?

• Funny x 2
  11. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

Anyone have videos of what it actually sounds like out in a real-world environment?

12. Dan203

Dan203 Active Member

Maybe it'll be possible to insert a little Arduino box into the line to detect the signal and replace the sound with whatever we want.

13. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

It doesn't interface with the factory ped sound system, but still kinda cool.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Active Member

Well if that’s where the speaker is then it should at least be accessible.

15. superfunk

superfunk Member

16. superfunk

superfunk Member

I couldn’t agree more. Let’s go hackers! Once I get my delivery I’m digging in.

17. superfunk

superfunk Member

I heard somebody slapped some duct tape over the speaker hole and cut the sound by 50%. I bet a simple fix would be to remove that plastic cover from the bottom and tape some acoustic foam between the speaker and the plastic grill. No sound, no wire tampering, nice easy fix. Keeps water out too! :)

18. Hut

Hut Canada

Does this new regulation require those cars without PWS to be retrofitted in the future?

19. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

Pretty trippy. I wouldn't mind it, sounds pretty deliberate and not annoying I guess (though I've enjoyed backing out of my garage silently after years of my M3 with its loud cold starts).

Side note, pretty amazed this amount of content can be stretched to almost 10 minutes lol

20. superfunk

superfunk Member

Nope.