Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low-tech Tesla tennis ball

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
It’s a bit of a trick getting our Model 3 in the garage just the right distance. Enough space in front to walk by, and just enough behind to open the trunk without bonking the closed garage door. The high-tech ultrasonic proximity detectors sort of help. When they read about 16-19 inches is just right. The problem is we get all sorts of proximity alerts from the side sensors too (garage wall shelving), so a “17” on the screen might not be the one we actually care about. (Feature request: display numbers beside the fenders and quarter panels for side alerts, leaving front for front.) So with careful measuring, I installed the ancient low-tech windshield tennis ball trick, but with a Tesla twist:
C4803FFF-A2E4-4B09-ADA9-A9536CE050AC.jpeg

It’s a bit of a trick getting our Model 3 in the garage just the right distance. Enough space in front to walk by, and just enough behind to open the trunk without bonking the closed garage door. The high-tech ultrasonic proximity detectors sort of help. When they read about 16-19 inches is just right. The problem is we get all sorts of proximity alerts from the side sensors too (garage wall shelving), so a “17” on the screen might not be the one we actually care about. (Feature request: display numbers beside the fenders and quarter panels for side alerts, leaving front for front.) So with careful measuring, I installed the ancient low-tech windshield tennis ball trick, but with a Tesla twist:View attachment 447508
I was under the impression that the measurements are only from the front and rear sensors. When I enter my garage the side of my car is practically next to my house and I'm not getting a reading of how close I am on the side.

I was under the impression that the measurements are only from the front and rear sensors. When I enter my garage the side of my car is practically next to my house and I'm not getting a reading of how close I am on the side.
That was initially my impression too. But experience taught me to be very careful. I'd get a display of, say "18" and think I was spot on. In fact, I was still much too far back. Scoot forward a tad, and suddenly it shows "33" and then counts down again to my real front bumper distance in the high teens. So I thus assumed the earlier teens reading must have been from the side. I can't actually prove that, but it was my empirical conclusion. It happens that way virtually every time.

That was initially my impression too. But experience taught me to be very careful. I'd get a display of, say "18" and think I was spot on. In fact, I was still much too far back. Scoot forward a tad, and suddenly it shows "33" and then counts down again to my real front bumper distance in the high teens. So I thus assumed the earlier teens reading must have been from the side. I can't actually prove that, but it was my empirical conclusion. It happens that way virtually every time.
I typically turn on the rear camera so I can kind of eye ball if there's enough space in the rear.

• Helpful
Reactions: alexGS
I like the old tennis ball trick as well. Low-tech, cheap and reliable. In my case, I use it to gauge my side position since I have to jockey a bit after nosing into the garage to allow a sufficient walkway between our two vehicles. As for how far to pull forward, I have a Post-It Note taped to the wall on the passenger side and when I line up my folded mirror with the sticker, I know I'm good.

My issue wasn't the front per se, but the right side. So I bought a 12" convex mirror (Amazon) and installed it so I can now see down the right side of the car to ensure I'm close to the shelving unit, but not so close that I hit it.

I put a foam strip on the side wall in the garage. When I am getting close I open the door. As long as the opened door hits the foam I am good. This works great as long as you pull forward in the left side or backwards in the right side. I used to put it in reverse to see if the rear would clear. But when I did the next time I pull out the car would not automatically close the garage door.