TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Lowering Amps to Improve Battery Life

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by tarponman, Aug 31, 2016.

1. tarponman

tarponman New Member

Aug 30, 2016
    New Jersey
    Just picked up our Model X 75D this past Friday and having a blast. When I asked about battery maintenance, I received a circumspect answer about staying within daily limit. But, they suggested lowering the home charging amps from 40 to 30 or even 20 (saying that you get a more even charge - like filling an ice tray with less water pressure), and lowering them even further when on vacation to trickle charge. The forums that I have read have a lot of discussion about optimal daily charge (80% or less unless needed) and 50-60% range when on vacation, but little on charge amps (a couple of old threads on lowering it). Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks
  2. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Feb 28, 2012
    Irvine, CA
    Even at 240v and 40amps it's a relatively slow charge (7h charge). I have a ton of 18650's that I use for flashlights and other projects and I don't think I've ever charged any of them that slowly.

Now, I have dialed down charge rate from 40 to 36 because i was having issues with multiple UMC's (Universal Mobile Connector) failing.