Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys I read alot here and I saw that people said UP MILD springs its 0.7" and 1" so which one is it ? because on their Website its written 0.7" . Im aiming 1" I dont want to get too low because I lived in Canada Quebec and winter sucks. Also is Mountain Pass spring good? thank you guys

Hi guys I read alot here and I saw that people said UP MILD springs its 0.7" and 1" so which one is it ? because on their Website its written 0.7" . Im aiming 1" I dont want to get too low because I lived in Canada Quebec and winter sucks. Also is Mountain Pass spring good? thank you guys
We've got two performance model 3s one outfitted with the @MountainPass Comfort Adjustable and the other with the Sport Adjustable coilover. Both sets of Springs are very comfortable but the comfort kit (set at its defaults) of course is quite amazing. If you can afford it, a full coilover kit it is always better than simply doing springs and the worst part of the stock suspension is not the ride height it's the crappy shocks and on the older cars the very premature recruitment of the bump stops which yields some significant handling anomalies.

Lots of people who put just aftermarket springs on have been dissatisfied including having a lot of trouble finding and quieting noise from the aftermarket Springs whereas we have no suspension noise at all on our cars of any kind. Handling with the Sport kit is just outstanding particularly if you combine it with MPP's great front lower control arm bushing kit. Highly recommend that combination if you're looking for great handling or the bushing and the Comfort adjustable kit if you're looking for the best possible ride also with significant improvements to handling and roll control. Mountain Pass kits are highly adjustable so that you can set them up either for track or touring and their support is the best. This is like my 15th coilover kit and these two kits are the best by far.

Last edited:
We've got two performance model 3s one outfitted with the @MountainPass Comfort Adjustable and the other with the Sport Adjustable coilover. Both sets of Springs are very comfortable but the comfort kit (set at its defaults) of course is quite amazing. If you can afford it, a full coilover kit it is always better than simply doing springs and the worst part of the stock suspension is not the ride height it's the crappy shocks and on the older cars the very premature recruitment of the bump stops which yields some significant handling anomalies.

Lots of people who put just aftermarket springs on have been dissatisfied including having a lot of trouble finding and quieting noise from the aftermarket Springs whereas we have no suspension noise at all on our cars of any kind. Handling with the Sport kit is just outstanding particularly if you combine it with MPP's great front lower control arm bushing kit. Highly recommend that combination if you're looking for great handling or the bushing and the Comfort adjustable kit if you're looking for the best possible ride also with significant improvements to handling and roll control. Mountain Pass kits are highly adjustable so that you can set them up either for track or touring and their support is the best. This is like my 15th coilover kit and these two kits are the best by far.
Thank you for the information ill check it out their product

I have the same white M3 on order waiting for delivery date too, and ome of the first things i want to do is drop it slightly. Currently torn between the mild .7" lowering springs or moderate 1.5" springs from Unplugged.
Advice on this will vary but you will hear from most of the guys who have done both (coilover and just lowering springs) that the coilover option is worth the extra money. You should check out other threads on the 1.5 inch lowering Springs from unplugged because several people have reported significant problems with noise.

Advice on this will vary but you will hear from most of the guys who have done both (coilover and just lowering springs) that the coilover option is worth the extra money. You should check out other threads on the 1.5 inch lowering Springs from unplugged because several people have reported significant problems with noise.

Are the noise problems from the Moderate only? How about Mild?

Thanks for the kind words Doug!

I would also make a comment that you're better off doing one really great modification than a number of half-measure ones. Your enjoyment of the car will be far higher with one or two products you love, compared to 3-5 products that are OK but have compromises such as noises or poor ride comfort.

In the world of car modifications, more isn't always better!

Reactions: dfwatt
Thanks for the kind words Doug!

I would also make a comment that you're better off doing one really great modification than a number of half-measure ones. Your enjoyment of the car will be far higher with one or two products you love, compared to 3-5 products that are OK but have compromises such as noises or poor ride comfort.

In the world of car modifications, more isn't always better!
I'm new here, but I read this comment and I really agree. And, I know it might seem like I'm shilling for MPP here, but the first mods I did to my Model 3 Performance were MPP Comfort Adjustable Coilovers with MPP Rear Upper Camber Arms. I took delivery of my car in February 2023. I loved the acceleration of my M3P but didn't love the ride height and the roll I felt in turns. The handling seemed mismatched to me.

In March (car was 1 month old) I decided to upgrade the suspension. This investment made a huge impact on my enjoyment of the vehicle. I had considered doing springs and sway bars. But honestly, through research here and advice from people who have tried it all, I realized I personally wouldn't have accomplished what I was hoping for.

-Dana

Reactions: dfwatt and jmaddr
Just read through this entire thread - I see a few main options:

I see a few main options:
  1. UP Mild or Moderate
  2. Tsportline
  3. Eibach
  4. H&R
Can anyone with lowering springs that has had them for a few years and chime in on their experience with your spring and the following comments?
  • Ride height/scraping or bottoming out
  • Ride comfort
  • Suspension Noise
  • Did you modify your bumpstops

I know coilovers are probably the better option but not looking to spend quite that much. I am on a 2018 LR RWD if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

1. UP Mild or Moderate
  2. Tsportline
  3. Eibach
  4. H&R
Can anyone with lowering springs that has had them for a few years and chime in on their experience with your spring and the following comments?
  • Ride comfort
  • Suspension Noise

I know coilovers are probably the better option but not looking to spend quite that much. I am on a 2018 LR RWD if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance
Save your money until you can afford doing it the right way. There are literally dozens of people on The Forum who went with lowering springs and then regretted that. It just doesn't get you anywhere close to what the Mountain Pass Comfort adjustable kit does. Like I said just save your money until you can do it right.

1. UP Mild or Moderate
  2. Tsportline
  3. Eibach
  4. H&R
  • Ride comfort
  • Suspension Noise

Thanks in advance
I’ve had the H&R springs on my 2022 LR for about 5-6 months. I only did it for aesthetics, not really concerned about peak handling performance or ride quality. I have mud flaps so those are the only thing that scrapes on some speed bumps. Mostly mitigated by going slow/angle. Ride comfort seems about the same as stock to me (which the stock ride wasn’t great to begin with). No abnormal noises. No bump stop mods.

Efficiency seems to have improved vs my lifetime average from before, but we’ll see after this winter if that still holds true.

Reactions: BobbyM3

1. UP Mild or Moderate
  2. Tsportline
  3. Eibach
  4. H&R
  • Ride comfort
  • Suspension Noise

Thanks in advance
I have a 2018 LR RWD as well with Eibach springs and running for about 4 years.

The UP springs are known to have noise issues and probably the only on your list above with plastic noise isolators. TSportline springs seem to be fine but I think Eibach ride a hair lower. H&R seem to ride even lower that Eibach and I've read that the H&Rs are a bit on the stiff side.

I have had zero problems with the Eibachs.
  • seems to be goldilocks height. It very rarely has clearance issues. Regular speed bumps don't require additional slowing down compared to stock springs.
  • it's as comfortable as stock
  • no noise whatsoever
  • trimmed my bump stops according to manufacturer's instructions. This is a widely debated decision but I think best to follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
Yes, coilovers are a great option providing they are reputable quality. The advantages are:
  • height adjust-ability, and
  • spring and shocks designed to work in conjunction.
Springs are not necessarily a bad option depending on your needs and they have suited mine. Keep in mind a reputable spring company with a significant R&D budget (like Eibach) can design their springs to match the characteristics of the stock shocks to create a well-matched set. Especially, if the car is not tracked and street use only.

Reactions: BobbyM3 and E90alex