Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gentlemen's stance. Not too much but just enough.. IMG_0888.JPGIMG_0896.jpg

As someone with a lowered gasoline powered car, I would not want to lower a car that has a battery at the bottom. Speed bumps, driveways, and city streets will cause problems with both your bumper and the under carriage.

This requires a minimum of a camber kit, higher spring constant, and stiffer dampers.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

• Funny
Reactions: Clun9
In the suspension, specific shocks are picked to dampen the isolation from the specific springs, selected for a specific vehicle application.
If you increase the stiffness of springs, or shorten their length (aka drop the car), you would want to re-evaluate your selection of shocks.

I have not taken apart the 3P suspension (mine is a daily driver, and already scrapes a few driveways around where I live), but have done that with most of my other cars.
The most likely answer is that your suspension is bouncing off the shocks' rubber bump stops. Those are round rubber pucks installed around the shock piston that soften the impact when it runs out of travel. In other words, you are no longer using the shocks as designed. You have exhausted their amplitude of travel, and are hitting the bump stops that limit the range of travel.

You could remove the bump stops or shorten them to regain shock's dampening ability. But depending on how much you dropped the car, you may just increase the chance of shocks piston slamming into the shock housing, and self-destructing.

It's up to you.
Only you can tell how tolerable (or not) the bouncy ride is. I would not worry about destroying shocks too much (they are a throw away item), unless you plan to re-install the OEM springs in the future (when selling the car).

There is nothing "for sure" in life, let alone in suspension upgrades.
Everything comes at a price, and represents a compromise of some sort.

Let's get the terminology straight first.
Coilover means simply that the shock is mounted by threading it inside the spring. That's all there is to it.
That is actually not the best configuration, but is the most compact and low cost solution that has been adopted by the auto-industry. OEM front suspension setup on Model 3 is a coilover. Rear is multi-link. Forcing the rear into coilover configuration is not necessarily and improvement!

Aftermarket coil-overs simply means that someone has assembled (presumably) well matched pair of springs + shocks that go well together. Consequently, you will be paying more for more components, and someone else's R&D in pairing them.

One can achieve an equal, or even better, outcome by pairing the right set of springs and shocks on your own. You just need to know what you are doing. Or buy the pairs that someone else has put together for you.
Coilover, or otherwise.

That is a common and misleading selling point advertised by some aftermarket coilover vendors.

While some shock housings have threaded nuts that would allow you to change the ride height, that is not something that you are likely to do in real life. For one thing, changing ride height on one corner effects weight distribution and handling on other corners. So you really need to be doing that over a set of 4 scales under each wheel. Very few car guys own those, never mind a typical Tesla owner.
Secondly. changing ride height effects suspension geometry, so you would need to re-align the car after each meaningful height change. OEM suspension does not allow camber adjustment, so now you need to buy additional suspension pieces to actually achieve the desired alignment settings. Again doable, but gets progressively more expensive, and alignment is not a DYI activity in your garage.

I've BTDT, and paying $200+ for proper alignment after fooling around with ride height gets old, fast.
So set your ride height, align the car, and forget about touching it again.
Changing dampener settings, OTOH, is relatively easily and fun. Especially if you have DA (dual adjustable) shocks - one adjustment knob for rebound, and another for compression.

HTH,
a
I’ve read through 20+ pages of this thread and this comment makes the most sense. My RWD is still sitting on stock suspension because I can’t decide wether lowering it is worth it sacrificing ride comfort. If I decide to lower it, it’ll likely be mild. Hearing so much on here about road noise, suspension noise, bottoming out etc. Is not encouraging. Leaning towards coilovers, but still ultimately undecided.