Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called Eibach today, 7/12/2018 and was told they still do NOT have a set of lowering springs for the Model 3. Perhaps a couple more weeks.

I have been playing with rear axle wheel spacers and have a set that is “plug and play” from USADAPTERS.COM. (909) 890-0217, I was contacted by Richard. The spacers are made in the USA (San Bernardino, California) and I love the quality. It is both hubcentric to the axle and to the wheel and comes with the proper size lug bolts. It spaces the real wheels out 1.1 inches 27.9mm and works perfectly on a Model 3. My Model 3 has NO suspension mods and the 18” stock wheels. Other combinations of suspension mods and/or wheel sizes HAVE NOT been checked out.

Most advertised wheel spacers are not hubcentric for both the axle and wheel and are usually 1” or 25mm thick. Using those spacers will require grinding down the lug bolts on th car, something we should NOT do.

Check out before and after pics:

BEFORE:

06958D94-FAA4-4994-9F72-80587C26C3C3.jpeg 28EEE2A5-DED3-433E-A905-5617C34A9797.jpeg

USADAPTERS SPACER
D837A373-7069-42C8-9F7C-9E9F84CABB72.jpeg 1B3BE2F3-16EA-4B42-B104-CF3512946775.jpeg

AFTER:
28839245-2933-4C35-A9AC-C8823E273489.jpeg 1A1BD52C-F863-4750-93D9-A16A94E9A632.jpeg

USADAPTERS.COM
(909) 890-0217

I really like them!!!

Tsportline vs Unplugged Performance. Which springs are better?

Thats like saying do you prefer Tabasco or Cholula hot sauce. Its really a matter of preference and both products have plenty of literature on it. I'm going with the TSports because the 1.5" drop on the Unplugged is too low for me. I live in a state where it snows so it will come in handy on those heavy days.

Tsportline vs Unplugged Performance. Which springs are better?

I initially tried the Unplugged Moderates. I _think_ there may have been a reduction in steering feel but I didn't really put it on a track or have an expert asses it, the TSportline springs feel like native Tesla. For me the drop on the moderates was just a bit too much.

Ground clearance is ordinary, no different from other cars, certainly greater than my Roadster!

Here are the photos for Stock, unplugged moderate and TSportline:

Factory Side front.jpg Factory Side Rear.jpg Unplugged side view Front.png Unplugged side view rear.png TSportline Lowered Side Front.jpg TSportline Lowered Side Rear.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,208
We'll be doing a test soon with a ton of different spacer thicknesses to find the ideal offset for aero efficiency.

I'll look forward to seeing that, my back-of-an-envelope calculations/guestimate concluded that if you lower the suspension and the wheels move up into the body by 25mm, the outward widening of 15mm should put them roughly back out as much.

Looks great! Those spacers look like the right offset to not hurt efficiency. We'll be doing a test soon with a ton of different spacer thicknesses to find the ideal offset for aero efficiency.

I suspect it is around 10mm out from factory, but I'm just guessing :)
One owner said that he had to go 27mm in the rear to avoid the necessity of grinding/cutting the studs, which I want to avoid. Can you please verify? Gracias.

Looks great! Those spacers look like the right offset to not hurt efficiency. We'll be doing a test soon with a ton of different spacer thicknesses to find the ideal offset for aero efficiency.

I suspect it is around 10mm out from factory, but I'm just guessing :)

@MountainPass I am considering switching over to your comfort coilovers from Unplugged springs. I am finding limited travel in suspension is making the ride too harsh and the Unplugged springs to big of a drop.

Couples of quick questions
1) with the coilovers, is it necessary to replace the camber arms and toe arms? Wouldn’t the camber suffice?
2) what is your recommended drop to reduce wheel gap.,..i read that you are recommending a 30-35mm drop in ride height..which would equate to 1.2 in drop—is that correct?
3). Please provide your recommended spacer thickness

Any other recommendations to allow for a lowered car, but with a softer ride for city driving with not so smooth roads?

Thanks

Last edited: