Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CMST v.3. The body shop was puzzled that I wanted to paint over carbon fiber, lol.

The S was a great bike and probably loads more comfortable than the R. I miss the sound especially with an aftermarket exhaust - it was a special kind of pedestrian warning system ;)

Thanks, looks great!

Yes the sound was the best part with exhaust. I had the full M4. Can't tell you how many Harley bars and Ducati owners I rode past who looked up then sneered away lol.

Pretty sure I went to a GSXR1000 after that bike. So comfort wasn't really part of the equation!

Thanks, looks great!

Yes the sound was the best part with exhaust. I had the full M4. Can't tell you how many Harley bars and Ducati owners I rode past who looked up then sneered away lol.

Pretty sure I went to a GSXR1000 after that bike. So comfort wasn't really part of the equation!
Thread drift. I had an RC51 with a full Jardine 2 into 1. It was loud and at idle, sounded like a Harley.

Back on topic, I keep toying with the idea of lowering for efficiency. Maybe 0.5" only. Sounds like dudes are installing Highland shocks/struts in older M3s. When the time comes, maybe I will run down that path of OEM parts with a mild lowering spring.

Would love to get advice on purchasing used coilovers. I have the opportunity to pick up 10k miles, 3yr old MPP Sport for a decent price.

If everything checks out, what are the pros/cons of this option versus something else for my $1500 parts budget like new MPP non-adjustable comfort coilovers or other options?

Also, if anyone knows the cost of rebuild from MPP that would help :)

Would love to get advice on purchasing used coilovers. I have the opportunity to pick up 10k miles, 3yr old MPP Sport for a decent price.

If everything checks out, what are the pros/cons of this option versus something else for my $1500 parts budget like new MPP non-adjustable comfort coilovers or other options?

I just picked up a set of UP coils, used. If comfort is your deal breaker then you should just get the non adjustable comfort. I wanted more of a better feel for the road and greater driving experience through spirited driving.

Pro's: cheaper. That's all.
Con's: Plenty:
  1. No support - unless you've installed suspension kits before and are comfortably DYI-ing everything without support, this may be an issue.
  2. No warranty - few shock OEMs transfer warranty to 3rd party buyers.
  3. Kit incompleteness risk - unless you really know what to look for in the box, down to last nut and bolt, you may end up chasing missing bits and ends while your car is up on the jack stands. That may still happen with a new kit (BTDT), but at least the kit seller will identify the missing parts and expedite them to you).
  4. Depending on what kit you are considering buying used, the discount may not be much. New MPP kits list for $1.5K - $3K.
    • I would not consider a used C/O kit for more than $1K. It better be under $750 to make it worth the bother.
That depends entirely on what shocks you are buying. Some are rebuildable, some are disposable.
KW's are rebuildable, but in all the years or running KW (on other cars), I never had to rebuild one.

Here is a link to a thread in another forum that talks about rebuilding KW's: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329683

HTH,
a

Get the used MPP sport kit. Much better in the long run. If you're around $1500, that's a decent price for used.

With coilovers, especially from good shops that start with good equipment (KW, Ohlins, etc), it will still be comfortable at higher spring rates. Don't take that to mean it'll be floaty like driving an old Cadillac, but it won't be bone jarring since the shocks will control the springs better.

European tuning tends to be softer and more controlled, Japanese tuning tends to be on the stiffer side.
Cheap crappy brands tend to still give a cheap and crappy ride. Unfortunately the people that tend to buy those don't usually have a good reference point to determine what a good ride should feel like.

Get the used MPP sport kit. Much better in the long run. If you're around $1500, that's a decent price for used.

With coilovers, especially from good shops that start with good equipment (KW, Ohlins, etc), it will still be comfortable at higher spring rates. Don't take that to mean it'll be floaty like driving an old Cadillac, but it won't be bone jarring since the shocks will control the springs better.

European tuning tends to be softer and more controlled, Japanese tuning tends to be on the stiffer side.
Cheap crappy brands tend to still give a cheap and crappy ride. Unfortunately the people that tend to buy those don't usually have a good reference point to determine what a good ride should feel like.
I second this - go with the used MPP Sport kit (IF) it is complete. If it's not, it's gotta be at a massive discount because getting stuff a-la-carte from MPP can get expensive. Super awesome MPP support as well - even if you don't originally purchase from them. You don't get that level of service, pretty much anywhere these days...

I have the KW V3's so while they're not directly comparable to the MMP Sports, they are the most similar coilover to the MPP Sports on the market . I love the spring rate and the valving in them - plus the KW V3's (like the MPP Sports) are adjustable so you can dial in your ride characteristics to your preferences. The fixed MPP variants you're kinda siloed into that valving and don't have much adjustability outside ride height.

Reactions: sdiver68
Hey guys! This happens somewhat often and I will say, please feel free to send me photos of the parts laid out and I can let you know if anything is missing from the kit. We can also help update the kit if it has older bits on it. A-La-Carte is certainly more expensive than buying a kit all in one shot, so ideally you'd be buying an almost complete kit. Typically we will only see a little spring spacer or some nuts missing.

Reactions: Dave EV

The ST Suspensions ST XA Coilover kit comes right in at your budget for a brand new coilover system. Fully adjustable and comes with 5-year warranty. This is the best bang for the buck performing kit on the market today.

More info on this thread:

Reactions: sdiver68
Hey guys! This happens somewhat often and I will say, please feel free to send me photos of the parts laid out and I can let you know if anything is missing from the kit. We can also help update the kit if it has older bits on it. A-La-Carte is certainly more expensive than buying a kit all in one shot, so ideally you'd be buying an almost complete kit. Typically we will only see a little spring spacer or some nuts missing.
mpp_sport.jpg

Thanks for your advice!

Looks like everything is there! The only thing I can't see for sure is whether the rear spring perches have the 60-70mm spring adapters on them. Enjoy!!

Thank you! Sorry, to be clear I haven't bought them. Just wanted to get your advice on the completeness of the kit as advertised. If I move on them I'll ask seller for a full picture of everything spread out and send it to you for confirmation.