Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR picked up on Thursday and shocking mileage per charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given your driving energy use looks reasonable and you say Sentry is disabled, have you definitely got the heating set to be off when you're not in the car? Short journeys are a killer, but that would show up in your driving energy use. Something seems to be keeping the car awake, so if its not sentry and the heating is deffo off when you're out of the car, make sure the app isn't open and checking the car as that keeps it awake. Then do a two button reboot and see if that helps at all.

On a 1.5 mile trip from home to the stable where our horse lives and with the temperature hovering around 2C I've seen almost 2000 watt/hours per mile. That is 10X the consumption in mid summer. The route involves going up and down a steep hill and then about 3/4 mile on the flat.

No car, ICE or EV likes a short trip in winter: my wife's C43, which will average 27 mpg locally on the same trip drops to 10mpg.

One way I've found to keep electrons in the tank is to heat the seats, not the car! We set the car at 18C and pre-heat the car and then turn the heated seats on as soon as we get in the car. Pre-heating the battery does seem to help.

I hope this helps...

BTW, the average wh/mile since May is 254.

I make plenty of short journeys at the minute.

Just checked my last 7 days and I made 7 journeys, none of them longer than 4 miles.

In that time I travelled 21 miles and my percentage has dropped from 42% to 30%. That's getting in the car cold, driving straight off and having the climate set to around 20°C. One of those was first thing in the morning and I preheated the cabin from about 6°C to 20°C for 5 mins before departing. A couple of those journeys was an immediate return trip so the car was then mildly warmed up for the return leg.

So - 12% for 21 miles. That used 6kW and averaged 76% efficiency @ 288 Wh/mi.

That's only 175 miles for a full 100% charge. Which is slightly low, but at this time of year and all short journeys it's to be expected really.

All stats from Tessie. I'd suggest downloading an app like that to track your usage and stats for a more accurate picture. At least for the first few months of ownership. Tessie has a free trial to start you off. You'll be able to see the complete stats for each journey you do, plus what it's using (if any) whilst parked.

Are you pre-conditioning the car / battery before setting off? Internal resistance of cold battery pack will have a significant impact on energy use for multiple short journeys at relatively high power output (ie, motorways).

Wet roads destroy economy as the car has to throw standing water out of the way.

Headwinds increase the power required by the third power.

Are you pre-conditioning the car / battery before setting off? Internal resistance of cold battery pack will have a significant impact on energy use for multiple short journeys at relatively high power output (ie, motorways).

Wet roads destroy economy as the car has to throw standing water out of the way.

Headwinds increase the power required by the third power.
yes but he has no home charging. I am pretty sure preconditioning/ preheating on battery is going to be less efficient than just getting in and driving from cold.

Don't count out the fact that your getting used to the car, might have a heavier right foot than usual, might not be used to the regen breaking etc etc.
That is very true. getting the most out of regen does take a bit to get used to. When pootling around town these days, unless something unexpected happens, I consider it a misjudgement on my part if I ever have to touch the friction brakes but judging when to lift off does take a bit of getting used to. Of course with no preheat and short journeys its doubly hard since the level of regen is going to constantly change as the car warms up potentially

Short trips are bad.
Motorway trips are bad unless you're prepared to do 56mph.
Hills are bad.
The wet is bad.
The cold is bad.

They work very well in California, apparently.
56mph is the sweet spot right! Is that a thing? I’ve done loads of long journeys now and that always seems to get the most mileage 😃

That is very true. getting the most out of regen does take a bit to get used to. When pootling around town these days, unless something unexpected happens, I consider it a misjudgement on my part if I ever have to touch the friction brakes but judging when to lift off does take a bit of getting used to. Of course with no preheat and short journeys its doubly hard since the level of regen is going to constantly change as the car warms up potentially
Would the lack of regen not be included in the overall driving Wh/Mi figure? His driving consumption seems ok for time of year / length of drive.

Some wonderful insights here...

What really surprises me here is that the energy app and trip figures only account for when the car is moving, which is completely unlike a ICE, if in the latter and stuck in traffic, it will show 0mpg where as the Tesla will still show whatever wh/mile it was, yet range will be decreasing due to heating etc. I'll see what my latest 80% to 30% gives me.

Drove to work this morning, 6 miles or so with 19degC and fan @ 1 but I had my winter coat on 🤣

What really surprises me here is that the energy app and trip figures only account for when the car is moving, which is completely unlike a ICE, if in the latter and stuck in traffic, it will show 0mpg where as the Tesla will still show whatever wh/mile it was, yet range will be decreasing due to heating etc. I'll see what my latest 80% to 30% gives me.

Drove to work this morning, 6 miles or so with 19degC and fan @ 1 but I had my winter coat on 🤣

Heated seats use less power than heating the whole cabin, but I frequenty use both and don't have the apparent range loss you have.

IMHO you need to break this down in a methodical manner.
First of all use the same measurement e.g. miles lost or % lost. Jumping between them will result in madness. Since you car is new I'd go with % lost as that is more consistent than miles. Miles can vary depending on how you've been driving and you've hardly had a chance to give the car a good baseline.
Take a note of the charge level before and after each drive and see if that correlates with the energy graph. If they are widely off then loss is due to heating etc. If its really bad then a call to Tesla may be in order. Share you figures with the class and we'll give (often differing :) )opinions.
If they are close to being the same then loss is likely down to non-driving use.
Teslamate would tell you what was happening in an instant, but if you're not techie, then Teslafi works well. Teslamate is free, but you can get a free trial of Teslafi so you don't need to spend any money right away.

Plisken, Just because your ICE car shows 0MPG when stuck for an hour in traffic with the engine running (to keep you warm) does not mean you used no fuel.

You used a gallon of fuel but covered no miles, so 0 miles per gallon is correct. It is just the way the dials are calibrated to report, not what is actually happening.

In the same queue in your Tesla, you expend no fuel on travelling forward, but will use energy on heated seats and cabin heating.

I think there is a slight misconception here. when I/we said it only covers when you are moving you took me too literally. That does not mean it stops recording every time you stop in stop start traffic. What I meant was it only covers periods where you are in drive. And during that period it will cover ALL usage so if you are stuck in traffic and not moving you will still be using heat and that WILL be included in your wh/m figure. Also the trip meter will show the correct total kwh used during that journey whatever the source of the use, be it drive motors or heating etc.

but sometimes I pick up my kids from places and have to wait for them while sitting in the car in park with the heating on. That will not be included in any of the usage figures.

After a bit of getting used to, I've managed to sort myself out with around 90 miles for 50% charge (80% to 30%), that's keeping the stationary time to a minimum, climate on manual and driving like the old git that I am. While not ideal, a little better than my first couple of charge cycles, which must have been down to stationary usage.

I had the car sitting over the weekend, possibly 4 nights and it only dropped 2% which I was quite happy with but the flip side of that, I charged up last night to 80%, drove 1/2 a mile home, got up this morning to 76%, this could drive a man to drink. I wonder if there was some residual cooling or something going on following a charging session that may have been responsible for such an overnight chunk.

Another thing I've noticed, a bit OT but following charging last night, I noticed the outside temp showing -8degC which was definitely not the case and it returned to 1 or whatever when I got into my drive, so something else to keep an eye on 😓, maybe the exterior sensor is close by some battery cooling lines or something?

Usable battery, which is what the % is based upon, is very temperature dependent this time of year. You will probably find that most of the lost % returns even doing nothing other that allowing the car to warm up or the BMS to have another guess.

1640173766847.png

Another thing I've noticed, a bit OT but following charging last night, I noticed the outside temp showing -8degC which was definitely not the case and it returned to 1 or whatever when I got into my drive, so something else to keep an eye on 😓, maybe the exterior sensor is close by some battery cooling lines or something?
It was very cold in spots yesterday. I drove between Glasgow and Braehead and the temp dropped to -5 at one point. It was back to 1C by the time I got home.

After a bit of getting used to, I've managed to sort myself out with around 90 miles for 50% charge (80% to 30%), that's keeping the stationary time to a minimum, climate on manual and driving like the old git that I am. While not ideal, a little better than my first couple of charge cycles, which must have been down to stationary usage.

I had the car sitting over the weekend, possibly 4 nights and it only dropped 2% which I was quite happy with but the flip side of that, I charged up last night to 80%, drove 1/2 a mile home, got up this morning to 76%, this could drive a man to drink. I wonder if there was some residual cooling or something going on following a charging session that may have been responsible for such an overnight chunk.

You were rapid charging I assume? that will warm the battery a lot, could be at 30 degrees+ by the end. and when it cools down to the currently low ambient temp that will show a noticible loss. I don't think its a real loss. if you heated the battery back up it would show up again but since you can't do that without driving you will never see it so I'm afraid it is what it is. physics + chemistry