Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR picked up on Thursday and shocking mileage per charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked the car up on The last week and I've covered about 98 miles. There were 6 miles on the clock when I picked it up and 41% battery. I brought the car home, went for lunch and charged it from 30% to 80%. Over Friday and Saturday (Saturday was a bit colder, probably below 6degC but rest of the time, it's been higher than that), I had some errands to do, which brought the car to around 30% again with something like 58 miles covered in total and yesterday, has some similar trips to make and found it again, rather quickly dropped to around 30% with only 86 miles in total being covered. I again charged to 80% which if I recall correctly shows 270 range. I checked the car this morning and it's down to 68% and covered the grand total of 98 miles since leaving China.

Now, I haven't been planting the throttle, at all. I've had two short trips on the motorway, both times sitting at around 56mph and I even found myself Turing the climate off yesterday such was my concern. I haven't been checking the app and sentry mode is off, apart from putting it on for 10 minutes to try it over the weekend.

Surely it can't be that bad?

I know my initial expectations were to charge every "couple" of weeks and that was quickly dashed by some on here (rightly so), but this cant be all I'm to expect, is it?

I picked the car up on The last week and I've covered about 98 miles. There were 6 miles on the clock when I picked it up and 41% battery. I brought the car home, went for lunch and charged it from 30% to 80%. Over Friday and Saturday (Saturday was a bit colder, probably below 6degC but rest of the time, it's been higher than that), I had some errands to do, which brought the car to around 30% again with something like 58 miles covered in total and yesterday, has some similar trips to make and found it again, rather quickly dropped to around 30% with only 86 miles in total being covered. I again charged to 80% which if I recall correctly shows 270 range. I checked the car this morning and it's down to 68% and covered the grand total of 98 miles since leaving China.

Now, I haven't been planting the throttle, at all. I've had two short trips on the motorway, both times sitting at around 56mph and I even found myself Turing the climate off yesterday such was my concern. I haven't been checking the app and sentry mode is off, apart from putting it on for 10 minutes to try it over the weekend.

Surely it can't be that bad?

I know my initial expectations were to charge every "couple" of weeks and that was quickly dashed by some on here (rightly so), but this cant be all I'm to expect, is it?

That does seem a little off, but I don't enough experience with EVs to really qualify.

I did 200 miles on Sat which took 80% and it was all motorway and dual carriageway (little in the way of regen) - the temps were between 1 (when I started) and 10 degrees when I finished and i had periods of heavy rain aswell.

As mentioned short trips and battery warming is possibly the reason

Last edited:
Sentry mode takes a lot of power but you checked it was off, as would brakes sticking. Otherwise as above, short, cold journeys aren't efficient.

Also make sure a supercharger isn't navigation target as pre-heat would happen (unlikely in your scenario). Check energy graph, estimated vs actual

I haven't experienced that sort of range loss just having it parked doing nothing.

If you're saying the charge dropped from 80% to 30% from travelling 28 miles (58-86 miles total) then there's something not right there.

Its not dropping just sitting, apologies, might have been a bit long winded in my explanation. What I meant from my last line was 12 miles driven from 80% charge and it's now showing 68%

I'm estimating that I'm not getting 50 miles for a charge of 30% to 80%

12% battery drop at the car just sitting parked does not sound right.

I got my LR 2 weeks ago and between 2am Sunday morning when I parked up to leaving for work this morning at around 7.45am, I witnessed 1 mile of range drop off when parked.

Short trips are an absolute killer.
since 1st December, I’ve done 86 miles. All trips of 10 miles or less, warming the car from the battery rather than mains.
car says I’ve used 227 miles.
there’s nothing wrong with it. In summer, battery usage is mile for mile pretty much.

Sorry its not dropping just sitting, my bad explanation to blame...

Basically, going from 30% to 80% charge, driving 50 miles is bringing it back down to 30% again, give or take, thats my problem and concern.
Doing 50 miles for 50% battery sounds awful, but if that is made up of 10 five mile journeys in winter in a hilly area, it could be realistic.

Getting the car going in cold weather chews a lot of battery. I’m guessing that you don’t have charging available at home, as sticking the heating on ten minutes before leaving helps precondition the batteries, but no point if you are just using battery to do this.

Is your car SR, LR or performance?

I've done a lot of short driving around town, my range is being used up quicker than I expected, but the car has to heat up the battery pack as well as cabin, I guess. When I had a diesel, the car wasn't hot, still wasn't defrosting windscreen or heating me at the end of a short journey to main office. Trips to clients on faster roads very different. All cars are inefficient in winter, just much more obvious with EVs. As mentioned, grabbing brake MIGHT be possible.

Have you tried pre-heating car while on charger (assuming one at home/work - start of journey)?

Sorry its not dropping just sitting, my bad explanation to blame...

Basically, going from 30% to 80% charge, driving 50 miles is bringing it back down to 30% again, give or take, thats my problem and concern.
Couple of things:
  • Was the 50 miles driven as one journey, or several shorter ones? If combination of shorter ones or on different days, you're experiencing the range reduction due to cold weather/heating on every trip, so extrapolating to assume range using 50% battery over a single trip is not accurate.
  • Due to these colder conditions, are you seeing the snowflake icon in the cars display? When the batter is cold. it will hide some of the stored energy and only give it back to you when the batter is sufficiently warmer:
1639394947140.png

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Trips verses trip is the problem in the winter, if you look at the watts per mile at the start of any winter trip it is usually 300+ which after about 10min driving drops down quite rapidly to 200+ once the car cabin/battery/drive train starts to warm up. On along run you are heating the cabin/battery only once from the battery and the rest of the journey you are heating the car with scavenged heat from the battery and drive system with the latter heat being effectively zero watts cost but on short journeys the car is heated initially by energy from the battery and the battery and drive train will not get warm so all heating is coming from the battery in watts and not regenerated heat from the battery/drive train so this leads to the low milage per a kilowatt. EV's are always lower range in the winter especially on short runs but are still far cheaper per mile on fuel/KW's verses fuel used than ICE cars which also have the same heat/fuel loss problems on repeated short runs. The car only takes five min to warm up if plugged into the mains which will lead to far greater range with a bit of pre planning on you trips its all a big learning curve with EV's which you will quickly learn with more experience. Enjoy you car you will quickly get your head around what's happening and why and find ways to prevent the majority of range losses as you gain more knowledge and experience. The car is a dream to drive and will put a smile on your face every time you drive it and is effortless to drive once you gain confidence in the software and knowledge of the control/charging system.

Reactions: plisken
If you pre-heat the car while it's connected to power you'll get it up to something hospitable without depleting the battery your Wh/mile will be lower.

I would also add, why does it matter? top it up to 80% each night and don't worry about it. If you were to do a proper long journey your range will be far higher than stop/starting, so stop thinking about range unless you are actually going to need it.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll try and respond where required below;
Is your car SR, LR or performance?
LR

since 1st December, I’ve done 86 miles. All trips of 10 miles or less, warming the car from the battery rather than mains.
car says I’ve used 227 miles.
What do you mean "car says you've used 227 miles"?

Have you tried pre-heating car while on charger (assuming one at home/work - start of journey)?
Don't have that luxury unfortunately.

• Was the 50 miles driven as one journey, or several shorter ones?
Several stop go journey's, one shop to another and so on.

@Louis0w No snowflake icon, lowest was 6degC, also noticed car always seemed to have regeneration (if thats the correct term), as in, would slow down when lifting of the gas

@cryo at last charge, I reset the trip counter and intend on doing a 80% to 30% several times to get an idea of usage