Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD to receive firmware upgrade to 325 miles...actual capacity bump??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess we will see. The thing is, if this is the case, we would expect better efficiency from all Model 3 vehicles (though probably not the same % improvement). That is what makes me think they are just adjusting to match the EPA rest results. But, that is definitely not what Elon said. But, I don’t think the data from users shows that the LR was “nerfed” relative to the other AWD vehicles, in terms of energy able to be extracted from the pack. So even if they are just making more energy available, not optimizing efficiency, they should be able to do that on all LR RWD and AWD vehicles.

Optimizing efficiency sure would make that vampire drain sting less though. I’m enjoying my 380Wh/mi wall-to-wheel efficiency without ANY HVAC use, but would be nice if it went down, even if they have not got around to fixing vampire yet.

People should get their baseline scientifically controlled runs recorded prior to installing the software update, so we can compare!

Well, I did some benchmark numbers before and after I received the increased range firmware update and it shows some interesting results. The before and after benchmarks are based on charging times and range increases.

Before the firmware update, the calculation to come up with how long it took to charge for any range of miles added during a charge session was always (literally 100% of the times I tested which was at least 15 times) calculated like this: (# of range miles added / 44) x 60 + 3 = # of minutes to charge. The 44 is the number of range miles per hour I get. I use the Tesla wall charger. Multiplying by 60 converts it from hours to minutes. The reason I add the 3 minutes, in the end, is that the charge rate ramps up slowly at the beginning of any charge session, so it takes several minutes to reach the peak 44 miles of range per hour. This is a fixed time interval regardless of the length of the charging session. This result was ALWAYS within 1 minute of what the actual charging minutes were.

Now let's use this calculation on my charging session from last night. First I will calculate what it should have been per the calculation above and then I will reveal how much time it actually took. Last night's charging session added 93 miles of range. based on the above calculation, let's see how long it should have taken: (93 / 44) x 60 + 3 = 129.8 expected minutes to charge. How many minutes did it actually take? 122 minutes. The only variable in that calculation that could change to account for the minute difference is the 44 range miles added per hour. So if we use 122 as the minutes it took to charge and solved the calculation by changing the only variable we can - the 44, it comes out to 46.89 miles of range my charger would have to add to the car per hour to charge that many miles.

I've done this calculation three times since the update and the results were all consistent with this example. Based on the above data, it's highly unlikely that I am suddenly, and coincidentally, now getting almost 47 range miles per hour out of my charger. The only other conclusion left is that the range increase is merely changing the numbers being displayed.

I've measured the actual usable capacity as 72kWh (by draining from 100% to 50% and multiplying by 2). The battery is supposedly 78kWh so who knows...maybe they are unlocking some of that?

An actual 5% boost in power sounds to be real though! This type of thing will help revive us Tesla enthusiasts who are now used to our 6+ month old Model 3. This is a real boost to the brand image!
I have driven from 100% to 1 mile in the same day with only about 70 min. of stops, I used 68.42 kw per TeslaFi and based on calculations TeslaFi has determined 68.8 kw to be the maximum usable at least for my car with 20,000 miles.

This was before the update, next time I go on a long trip i'll see if I have more usable battery, I doubt it but it is possible they decreased the buffer size.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Can’t speak to efficiency but there was not any of the buffer unlocked based on my usable capacity from TeslaFi, still in the 68.8 usable kw range for my battery before and after the extra range update

Just wondering, how are you calculating usable kwh from Teslafi? Are you taking the charge session report and extrapolating the delta in SOC% by thw actual kwh added?

Just wondering, how are you calculating usable kwh from Teslafi? Are you taking the charge session report and extrapolating the delta in SOC% by thw actual kwh added?
No, I had driven from 100% soc to 1 mile range left with a minimum of stops (70 min. maybe?) and used 68.42 kw per TeslaFi, another trip used 95% battery (the last 3 drives are all non stop) and 65.37 kw again per the drive detail report on TeslaFi, another drive at 76% usage was 51.26 kw used, another at 43% using 29.56 kw so all very close to 68.8 kw useable at 100%

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
My VIN is 89xx with 11K miles. Normally charge to 80% and it slowly decreased to 242 over many months. When I got 8.2 and 8.5 increased to 246 until yesterday when 80% went to 251 miles.
Did a couple of 100% trip charges a couple of weeks ago which didn't make any improvement so I'll have to try that again and see what my range is. Last 100% it was at 304.

Is it possible the range calculation is taking into account lifetime efficiency now? Can the folks who are not seeing a range bump post their lifetime efficiency alongside?
I charged to 100% for the first time since getting the range bump back in 8.5. 324 miles, lifetime efficiency of 230 wh/mi.

I have seen now improvement in range, my current version is 2019.8.5, installed on 4/5/19.

260 wh/mi lifetime efficiency, 12,000 miles.

I drained the battery to 11 miles of range (4%), charged to 100%, 305 miles of range. (this charge added 68.77 kWh, if I was at 0%, I would expect to add 71.64 kWh).

Normal charge is at 80% and I normally have 250 miles of range.

You need to drive like the EPA to get that range. Meaning driving in one sitting right after fully charged in decent climate with mix driving condition and like 60% city or something like that and do it for like 5 times or so and average it and run it down to 0% until the car stops. You will need to read the report to get their exact details.

I hear if you just do 100% highway at 70mph, most people are getting are around 250 miles or so in the summer before they get scared and searching for charging stations.

Why does length of trip matter in electric cars? In gas vehicles, its because a lot of the initial fuel use gets the engine up to running temperature, if I am not mistaken.

Why does length of trip matter in electric cars? In gas vehicles, its because a lot of the initial fuel use gets the engine up to running temperature, if I am not mistaken.
I think you meant why all in one sitting vs multiple trips with stop in between? If so, then you need to know Tesla has phantom drain which can exasperate if you use sentry or dash cam mode. Hence if you want accurate reading of range you need to drive right after fully charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: gallk