Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR3 is too efficient

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ontario has 100% zero emissions energy generation. There is no comparison it's not even close. Even with 100% coal generation EVs are hugely Superior. I guess we forgot that we need big tanker trucks to deliver gas to the gas stations as well as refining oil.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I'm at 228 Wh/mi after 22K miles. 18" with aero covers REMOVED.
IMG_20190321_174928.jpg

Reactions: Chancellor32
Huh I'm at 332, surprised I'm that high, try to be an "efficiency" driver (even keep it in "Chill" mode) but I'm sure winter and the snow tires and non-aero winter wheels are all factors.

I haven't found "Chill" mode to be a useful tool for increasing efficiency and there is no indication it's designed for that purpose.

From what I can tell by experimenting with Chill Mode is that it re-maps the throttle response and adds a slight delay to soften the reaction and make it resemble an ICE car with a torque converter. I think it was designed to help people who were set in their ways become more comfortable with the instant throttle response of an EV. If anything, it's probably counter-productive to efficiency because humans have an amazing ability and tendency to adapt to such things by unconsciously pushing the throttle deeper to get the desired response. I think Standard Mode for acceleration, with it's more crisp and accurate throttle response, will typically return the best efficiency in normal driving.

I can see how this might assist someone who has an old ankle injury or can't move their ankle through a normal range of motion but anyone with normal ankle mobility is probably best served by Standard Mode on the accelerator.

• Informative
Reactions: billh13850
I live in GA where I charge from 11PM-7AM for just 1.4164 per kWh so lets just say I drive my M3 LR RWD very spirited ;)

My Aero Wheel covers have only been on for about 1K of the 14K and AC and stereo pretty much always on. Heat - almost never.

My max charge has moved up to 321 but can't get over that after trying twice this week. 311 was the previous max.

Attachments

• 20190322_113652.jpg
    20190322_113652.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 44
I haven't found "Chill" mode to be a useful tool for increasing efficiency and there is no indication it's designed for that purpose.

From what I can tell by experimenting with Chill Mode is that it re-maps the throttle response and adds a slight delay to soften the reaction and make it resemble an ICE car with a torque converter. I think it was designed to help people who were set in their ways become more comfortable with the instant throttle response of an EV. If anything, it's probably counter-productive to efficiency because humans have an amazing ability and tendency to adapt to such things by unconsciously pushing the throttle deeper to get the desired response. I think Standard Mode for acceleration, with it's more crisp and accurate throttle response, will typically return the best efficiency in normal driving.

I can see how this might assist someone who has an old ankle injury or can't move their ankle through a normal range of motion but anyone with normal ankle mobility is probably best served by Standard Mode on the accelerator.
Thanks, guess that's it for "Chill".

Wow. Am struggling to get my lifetime down to 300 on my Performance+.
Driving 69mph or less on the highway all the time would definitely get it there...

Enjoy it, you guys picked the right car!

Me too- P3d stealth at 305 wh/mile 12k miles. I suspect my acceleration curve is a bit higher than these super efficient types... I'm sure they have fun maximizing their efficiency- I just have a different type of fun.

Friend on 2019.5.15 said he got an extra 10% charging at 72kw on an urban charger before it began to taper off.

Hope he is not wrong or I heard wrong. I will
check again.
I also noticed a slight bump when charging at a 72kW stall but there has been no mention of any upgrades to this type of charger. I'm hoping that there's some software lock that will come off once v3 starts really rolling out. Otherwise you've got two very different ends of the spectrum for "supercharging".

What driving habits do you guys who are getting under 240 wh/mi have?
Lifetime 229Wh/mi @8800 mi. 18" aeros. LR RWD. San Jose, CA so good, moderate climate. Work commute highway/street mix of about 70/30%. Most always 5-10mph above speed limit; mornings I'm in TACC with traffic. Like to punch it going uphill on a highway on-ramp in order to get to 70+mph by the time I get to a sign; something that my 5 spd E46 could only get to at 55mph. One 800 mile trip to L.A. several months ago on I-5. Been over to Santa Cruz and back (winding highway 17, with summit at 1800' and essentially sea level at both ends) about two dozen times. Use plenty of Wh going up the hill but recover some coming down. Keep regen at standard and NO chill mode ever (it's not what I got the car for). Not too many jack rabbit starts but i tend to get ahead of everybody else if I'm first at the light. Treat most corners as if I'm trying to hit the perfect apex. Minimal use of climate control; 74-76 in the summer with A/C and 68-69, seat heater 2 and fan 1-2 during this past winter. I can't complain about my efficiency number.

Reactions: c.ross3
What driving habits do you guys who are getting under 240 wh/mi have?
  • Mild Southern CA climate
  • Lots of commuting miles where there's not much fun to be had (M-F)
  • Extensive use of EAP when safe
  • Generally don't go above 85 MPH because it attracts the wrong kind of attention
  • Spirited driving at times (Weekends & evenings), but think it's just eclipsed by more conservative commute (M-F)
  • I keep the Wh/mi display card up most of the time as a subtle reminder

Last edited by a moderator: