Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a call from Paramus, NJ Service Center, they just received the parts for the LTE upgrade and was quoted $700 +, gave me the "every car is different, and may need additional parts" i lol'd in my head and said every other service center does it for $500; Service advisor put me on hold and asked "manager" came back and said we can confirm pricing when i call back to set up date.
I guess some service centers are turning into traditional luxury car service centers. I am suppose to call back with a date for the upgrade, but now im thinking about just taking it to another service center instead.

Anyone get theirs done at Mt Kisco? CT? or PA? and has anyone else been quoted this high of a price? Would greatly appreciate if members can post which service centers and total cost to get this upgrade also with which Model S build they have with year. Thanks

It was $500 plus a little tax at the Denver SvC on an 85D. "Worth it" is always subjective and varies based on what your current 3G coverage looks like. The speed with LTE is slightly faster and so far the coverage has improved for me. It's better than my phone's coverage and I wonder if the antenna is just better and/or more powerful.

I'm scheduled for the upgrade at Milford, CT SC on Sept 10th. Price $500. Model S 85D, delivered May 2015

Just got a call from Paramus, NJ Service Center, they just received the parts for the LTE upgrade and was quoted $700 +, gave me the "every car is different, and may need additional parts" i lol'd in my head and said every other service center does it for $500; Service advisor put me on hold and asked "manager" came back and said we can confirm pricing when i call back to set up date.
I guess some service centers are turning into traditional luxury car service centers. I am suppose to call back with a date for the upgrade, but now im thinking about just taking it to another service center instead.

Anyone get theirs done at Mt Kisco? CT? or PA? and has anyone else been quoted this high of a price? Would greatly appreciate if members can post which service centers and total cost to get this upgrade also with which Model S build they have with year. Thanks

Last edited:
$481.50 + tax in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. It's a decent upgrade, not an earth shattering difference at all. As others have stated, "worth it" is in the eyes of the beholder. On the one hand, what's $500 when a premium sound upgrade is $2,500? On the other, LTE doesn't really significantly affect the user experience.

Upgrade performed at Watertown, MA Service Center on Saturday, August 29, by the usual fantastic crew who didn't complain or make me feel bad when I misunderstood and showed up an hour after their closing time. (Although I did feel bad! And certainly apologized! What was I thinking!)

Anecdotally, my Slacker song loads are way faster and my map tiles are loading much faster, too. That said, even map/nav use via WiFi can be an education in Zen-like patience.

I'm very happy with the result and feel my money was well spent. I have never had software, much less hardware upgrades from ANY other automobile vendor EVER (35 year driving span).

Total cost, including tax and every and anything else: $500.

Alan

I assume there are numerous issues with trying to use SpeedOf.Me to try to determine speed. Nonetheless, here are my results, taken at the same location at the same time, full bars, cell tower visible, about 1000 feet away.

Speed (Mbps)
3GLTE
Download:6.0226.26
Upload:18.4573.82
Ping:239181ms

At my house I have 5 bars of LTE strength. Bandwidth test showed 22 down, 73 up. I have more bars where I drive now, no dead spots, whereas with 3G I would experience low signal strength and dropouts in some areas.

I'm skeptical of the bandwidth but agree that the coverage area and strength has been much better so far. I am headed to an area this weekend that had no coverage before and I'm hoping I'll at least get something this time even if it's weak. Fingers crossed.