Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my first impression of LTE. I should qualify this post by pointing out that I have a Wilson 4G signal booster installed so what I'm observing is the combined effects of both LTE and the signal booster. I've had the booster installed for several months, so my impressions are comparing the booster with both 3G and LTE.

On my drive home to Baltimore from Rockville I tested everything that might be effected by LTE -- GPS, phone, and the web browser. BTW, the booster is highly recommended. On our drive to California to TMC Connect we almost never lost a signal even in the most remote areas of Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada.

First, GPS and touchscreen Google maps. I had maps set for the satellite view which is a good speed test. The maps drew 2-3 times as fast and redrew on the fly with none or very few blank spaces. Routing was very fast and responsive. Thumbs up for LTE.:biggrin:

Slacker was next. Selected songs played with almost no delay, a big improvement over 3G.:biggrin:

Browser: I loaded several web sites I had never tried to access on the Model S browser before. They loaded very fast, at least 3 times faster than in my previous experience. For example, I logged onto my ChargePoint account and it drew maps of chargers in the area very quickly. Same experience with other web sites. I never used the touchscreen browser before because it was way too slow. I will now. :biggrin:

Phone. Made and received several calls along the way. I had five bars most of the way and in never got lower than 3. Sound was crisp and clear.:biggrin:

So all in all I think this was a very worthwhile upgrade. It cost less than $500 with a firmware upgrade. LTE now shows on the touchscreen where 3G used to.

If you can install a signal booster as well, unless you have unrealistic expectations, you'll have no complaints about the speed of the system.

As soon as I receive the invoice and parts list from Tesla, I'll post it.

Last edited:
Glad to hear there are eyeball measurable differences in the LTE performance than 3G performance. I look forward to your continued thoughts on it as you drive around other areas.

We have a Wilson booster that we use on camping trips. It is the style that you put your phone in the cradle and has an external antenna. Is there a thread about how to install this for the car's cellular connection?

Phone. Made and received several calls along the way. I had five bars most of the way and in never got lower than 3. Sound was crisp and clear.:biggrin:

Wouldn't this be going over your phone's cellular connection and not the cars? The phone just does bluetooth to the car for audio and control, but not for making calls.

Unless this was just a comparison of your phone's cellular connection compared to the car's LTE connection.

Here's the parts list and invoice from the LTE install. For security reasons please note that the Jasper SIM card is VPN

Concern: LTE Retrofit, United States and Canada
Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 202.50
Pay Type: Customer Pay
Corrections: Perform LTE Retrofit On MCU With Gyro Board, United States and Canada
Performed 4G retrofit on MCU with gyro board. Verified proper operation.
Part Quantity Unit Price
PCBA, LTE CONNECTIVITY, UBLOX GPS
(1054968-01-A)
1 177.68 177.68
SIM CARD, JASPER (1035347-00-A) 1 16.00 16.00
SCR,M3x4.PH.TRX10.W/PATCH (1010052-
00-A)
3 0.12 0.36
SCR,M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH
(1010058-00-A)
12 0.16 1.92
CBL,COAXIAL.50.OHM,100mm.U.FL
(1010854-00-A)
3 1.08 3.24
SCR,M3x6.TPH.RX10.W/PATCH (1010062-
00-A)
3 0.10 0.30
SDF,M3X6.M/F.HEXAGON.W/PATCH
(1010816-00-A)
3 0.50 1.50
Total Parts 201.00

Wouldn't this be going over your phone's cellular connection and not the cars? The phone just does bluetooth to the car for audio and control, but not for making calls.

Unless this was just a comparison of your phone's cellular connection compared to the car's LTE connection.

Yeah, I don't get this. Please explain! Btw, getting my upgrade on the 24th.

So $403.50 out the door... compelling. Cheaper than some of my monthly AT&T bills ;)

Here's the parts list and invoice from the LTE install. For security reasons please note that the Jasper SIM card is VPN

Concern: LTE Retrofit, United States and Canada
Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 202.50
Pay Type: Customer Pay
Corrections: Perform LTE Retrofit On MCU With Gyro Board, United States and Canada
Performed 4G retrofit on MCU with gyro board. Verified proper operation.
Part Quantity Unit Price
PCBA, LTE CONNECTIVITY, UBLOX GPS
(1054968-01-A)
1 177.68 177.68
SIM CARD, JASPER (1035347-00-A) 1 16.00 16.00
SCR,M3x4.PH.TRX10.W/PATCH (1010052-
00-A)
3 0.12 0.36
SCR,M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH
(1010058-00-A)
12 0.16 1.92
CBL,COAXIAL.50.OHM,100mm.U.FL
(1010854-00-A)
3 1.08 3.24
SCR,M3x6.TPH.RX10.W/PATCH (1010062-
00-A)
3 0.10 0.30
SDF,M3X6.M/F.HEXAGON.W/PATCH
(1010816-00-A)
3 0.50 1.50
Total Parts 201.00

Artsci,

which wilson booster do you use? Did you register it with you service provider? How did you set up power? Finally, where and how did you install the antenna?

Many thanks for your wisdom in these regards. I am scheduled to get the upgrade in a couple of weeks and would like to look into the booster in the meantime.

Peace,

Father Bill

So $403.50 out the door... compelling. Cheaper than some of my monthly AT&T bills ;)

A bargain for sure. My service manager told me that a Chevy dealer was visiting and asked why they didn't charge a lot more, say $1,000. He said that's not the way Tesla does business on these kinds of things.

- - - Updated - - -

Artsci,

which wilson booster do you use? Did you register it with you service provider? How did you set up power? Finally, where and how did you install the antenna?

Many thanks for your wisdom in these regards. I am scheduled to get the upgrade in a couple of weeks and would like to look into the booster in the meantime.

Peace,

Father Bill

Father Bill,

I bought this model on Amazon. SUPRKAR did the installation for me while I was working on lighted appliqué installations. He installed the antenna on the crash bar under the nose cone. I didn't register it -- don't think that's necessary.

Two questions:

1. I don't understand the Jasper SIM. Why do you need a SIM card for OpenVPN?

2. What is an "MCU with gyro board?" Are there MCUs without this gyro board?

As I don't know the technology I can't answer these questions. I asked my SC about the Jasper SIM and was told it was VPN for security. Perhaps someone else can chime in who knows these technologies.

Pardon me for being thick, but what is the real value of upgrading to LTE? Is it just to get faster Internet access? Or are there other benefits? If it's just for the Internet, i think i'll pass as i rarely use the browser in the car and when i do 3G is good enough. But I understand others have different needs. In any event, are there other benefits to getting LTE?

Primary Driver is at some point, 2G, 3G etc networks sunset...

As I don't know the technology I can't answer these questions. I asked my SC about the Jasper SIM and was told it was VPN for security. Perhaps someone else can chime in who knows these technologies.

What it looks like to me is that the Jasper SIM allows them to use the same SIM card internationally and it can also be changed with over the air updates. They just download the carrier profile they want on it and don't need a carrier specific SIM. For example, if they wanted to change carriers from AT&T to Tmobile, with old style SIMs they would have to have you bring in the car for service and then physically replace the AT&T SIM card with the Tmobile SIM card. With the Jasper SIM, they could update the SIM card over the air with the new carrier profile/information without you having to bring the car in. Apple is doing something similar with the Apple SIM card that comes in new iPads/phones and lets you pick specific carriers without having to have that carriers SIM card.

Jasper Launches Global SIM for M2M and IoT Devices | Business Wire

Two questions:

1. I don't understand the Jasper SIM. Why do you need a SIM card for OpenVPN?

2. What is an "MCU with gyro board?" Are there MCUs without this gyro board?

I will take a stab at 2. Above. It appears that the gyro is a reference to the accelerometers on the GPS module. This module, like the LTE module, is on one of the MCU (media control unit --- the 17 inch display) printed circuit boards. Note that the parts list includes a UBLOX GPS as well as a reference to an LTE module. it is not clear if they are using UBLOX for the LTE module, but it is certainly possible as they offer an integrated solution for cellular and GPS (GNSS) navigation.

https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/CEL-module-selector_Overview_%28UBX-14001802%29.pdf