Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed since upgrading to firmware 7.0 that my LTE signal has shown fewer bars in the same location as I used to get in 6.2 - anyone else notice this?

I thought I read in one of the threads that v7.0 fixed some "overly-optimistic" reporting of LTE signal quality/capability? God only knows what thread it was as the right search terms to find it elude me.

My car is going in for a center stack replacement under warranty as the planned remedy for multiple issues (no nav routing, no nav applet on instrument cluster, no bluetooth, no voice commands). I asked about LTE upgrade since we're in the area anyway... quoted a price for that CAD $750

Aside: it is odd that I still have GPS and map painting with car locating all working, and Internet browsing and Slacker all work... Slacker requests must be typed, not voice requested. Remote App works fine too.

But now I'm wondering... wouldn't a warranty replacement computer already come with the LTE daughter card mounted and ready to go, or do you think there is a blank spot there and Ranger is expected to move the old 3G radio over during the work?

The work hasn't started yet... I haven't agreed to pay for the LTE upgrade yet.

What do you think will happen if I do nothing / stop talking about the upgrade ?? Think it will just arrive anyway?

Last edited:
I think you'll get 3G.

But hey, they're not offering an LTE discount, so there's no harm it waiting to see what happens. If the replacement is 3G, just have them open it up again and put in the LTE...

I concur. It's likely they'll replace with existing parts. At some point in the future - as with the door handles - they may upgrade, but as long as they have the older parts still hanging in inventory, they'll use them.

I concur. It's likely they'll replace with existing parts. At some point in the future - as with the door handles - they may upgrade, but as long as they have the older parts still hanging in inventory, they'll use them.

I've made the ask if magic can happen for the newer computer coming pre-loaded with 4G... we'll see.

Given this is a ranger visit, anything to help cut down on hours spent in the field is probably a bonus for their schedule. h

The car also needs several hours of other work...

And given how "swappable" these are in the cars, I wouldn't be surprised that while Tesla is building new units with the 4G supply bin, warranty replacements may arrive at the SvC without any daughtercard installed and the SvC reuses or supplies a "new" module to it.

I recall reading one report where a person with LTE originally got a MCU replacement and suddenly it had 3G. This is likely because the MCU was inventory from before LTE. So I can imagine inventory refills being without the card altogether and make that a separate part to order by the SvC if it needs to be replaced as well.

But then, this is all conjecture on my part, so who knows?!?

I was told a new computer "that is right for your car" has been dispatched from headquarters, and it has 3G on it. If I want the LTE upgrade, it's $750, full pop. Fixed price I'm told. I want it, so I will pay. No harm no foul.

I'm getting a faster (screen refresh) car back!! Woo hoo! Step aside Ludicrous

I was told a new computer "that is right for your car" has been dispatched from headquarters, and it has 3G on it. If I want the LTE upgrade, it's $750, full pop. Fixed price I'm told. I want it, so I will pay. No harm no foul.
I'd at least complain about being charged double labour as the major part of the labour is to re & re the display.

No, I'm not being charged double. R&R #1 is no-pay warranty work. R&R #2 is virtual, and I am paying for that. So I pay once. Bit irksome that it is virtual and not incurred hours, but that's what a fixed price job means. Hey, I don't mind in the end.

I'd at least complain about being charged double labour as the major part of the labour is to re & re the display.

No, I'm not being charged double. R&R #1 is no-pay warranty work. R&R #2 is virtual, and I am paying for that. So I pay once. Bit irksome that it is virtual and not incurred hours, but that's what a fixed price job means. Hey, I don't mind in the end.

Jerry's point was that you shouldn't have to pay for the labor that is being done at the same time, under warranty.

Tesla ordinarily charges $750 for the upgrade, which includes the part and the labor. The labor involves getting access to the part that you are having replaced under warranty.

When you have this work done, you are going to be charged for that labor, as it is built in to that $750 cost. But that labor won't be getting done at all, since the part will be being installed separately. So you'll be paying for labor that won't be being done.

You could make a very strong argument that you should only be paying for the part, and perhaps for some tiny portion of the labor.

Others made this argument before when the LTE upgrade first came out and there was some variation in pricing based on how much work each center did in getting the upgrade done. I haven't read any reports (but that doesn't mean you couldn't try) that anyone successfully got a discounted rate when the MCU was being replaced anyway. In particular, a couple being that had the glue bubble in the touchscreen paid the full USD upgrade fee to put LTE cards on the MCU when it was taken out of the box. Maybe Scottt will have better luck though.

I believe that's the Canadian price. US should be $500 flat.

18 days ago in Canada it was 531$ CAD

2016-02-01.png

2016-02-01 suite.png