Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air Tested at 235MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The people running Lucid are not lucid. The added cost to make an EV go four times as fast as the average speed on an American highway is money wasted. It makes the car much more expensive for the customer. It is an insane thing to do. Lucid should be concentrating on making the Air safe, reliable, affordable, and provide a high speed DC long distance charging network. Instead they are building a sedan that will cost even more than a loaded X P100D but with no high speed charging network. In my opinion, that is a formula for failure. The market for such a car is tiny. A base S 75D is half the price of the Lucid Air and it is a much more usable car with a proven reliability record, the highest possible safety rating, and the Supercharger network.

Yes, I am aware that Tesla started out building a $120,000 tiny sports car that maxed out at 242 miles and had no DC charging. But that was a decade ago. Tesla now has a 10 year head start on Lucid, but Lucid appears to be following the path Tesla pioneered a long time ago. They will never catch up and they won't survive with that strategy.

Lucid should be concentrating on making the Air safe, reliable, affordable, and provide a high speed DC long distance charging network. Instead they are building a sedan that will cost even more than a loaded X P100D but with no high speed charging network. In my opinion, that is a formula for failure. The market for such a car is tiny. A base S 75D is half the price of the Lucid Air and it is a much more usable car with a proven reliability record, the highest possible safety rating, and the Supercharger network.

Why would Lucid spend money to build a supercharger network when they can use a 320kW charging network for free courtesy of VW? See below.

VW is installing ultra-fast 320 kW chargers in California as part of its $2 billion EV infrastructure plan

The people running Lucid are not lucid. The added cost to make an EV go four times as fast as the average speed on an American highway is money wasted. It makes the car much more expensive for the customer. It is an insane thing to do. Lucid should be concentrating on making the Air safe, reliable, affordable, and provide a high speed DC long distance charging network. Instead they are building a sedan that will cost even more than a loaded X P100D but with no high speed charging network. In my opinion, that is a formula for failure. The market for such a car is tiny. A base S 75D is half the price of the Lucid Air and it is a much more usable car with a proven reliability record, the highest possible safety rating, and the Supercharger network.

Yes, I am aware that Tesla started out building a $120,000 tiny sports car that maxed out at 242 miles and had no DC charging. But that was a decade ago. Tesla now has a 10 year head start on Lucid, but Lucid appears to be following the path Tesla pioneered a long time ago. They will never catch up and they won't survive with that strategy.

FYI, Lucid Air starts at $60k before rebates.
400hp, 240 miles, cheaper than a S75

Clear the Air – The $52,500 Lucid Air

When Lucid actually has a factory they plan to build in Arizona, then I'd contemplate on placing a deposit for a regular vehicle. The exec seats do look nice, but that would mean getting a launch edition vehicle. Hopefully, by the time Lucid comes out with the Air, the Model S would be releasing gen 2 with more upscale interiors.

Why would Lucid spend money to build a supercharger network when they can use a 320kW charging network for free courtesy of VW? See below.

VW is installing ultra-fast 320 kW chargers in California as part of its $2 billion EV infrastructure plan

It is not a 320 kW network. A handful are 320 kW. Most will be 150 kW.

VW has to spend $2B on EV and H2 infrastructure in the USA. $800M of which is to be spent in CA.

Then they have no further requirements regardless of whether the electric vehicle fleet needs more charging stations. After they spend the money they will no longer be legally required to service and maintain the network.

That is a projection. Not a fact.

You can buy an S75 today from new inventory.

Best case scenario for Lucid is they deliver their first car 2 years after breaking ground on their proposed Arizona factory. Clock is ticking to get a sale in 2019.

Nobody knows what the specifications will be on a 2019 Model S 27 months from today.

As of now that charging network is not a reality. As @RobStark points out, that charging network plan is flawed and it may never be usable in the way that the Tesla Supercharger network has demonstrated it clearly is.

Clear the Air – The $52,500 Lucid Air
More fantasy. Not reality at this point. And if such a car ever exists it certainly will not go over 200mph, which is what we are discussing here.

I would love to see Lucid make a car with the specs you stated. That would advance the cause of EVs, which is obviously a good thing. And I am confident that Tesla could be price and feature competitive with such a car if it ever goes on sale.

Note that a Model 3 Performance version with whatever the optional larger battery turns out to be will certainly be less than $60K, equally powerful, and likely go farther. Will it compare feature-for-feature with a Lucid Air at $60K? Obviously we don't know yet. But a Model 3 so configured is far closer to going on sale than any car made by Lucid.

When GM produced an EV in the late 20th century, the first thing they did was set a Land Speed Record for electric cars with it.

It's a good way to get press, and give the illusion of robustness of a new car. Set either Land Speed or 24hr Endurance records.