Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Says 2021 Sedan Will Pack 500 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lucid Motors announced Wednesday that it’s upcoming sedan will be powered by a 113 kWh battery pack capable of an estimated EPA range of up to 517 miles.

The company says it’s able to achieve the industry’s best range through its “Lucid Space Concept” design, which “capitalizes upon the miniaturization of Lucid’s in-house developed EV drivetrain and battery pack to optimize interior cabin space within Lucid Air’s relatively compact exterior footprint.”

“It’s relatively easy to achieve more range by adding progressively more batteries, but gaining ‘dumb range’ that way increases weight and cost, and reduces interior space,” Peter Rawlinson, CEO and CTO, Lucid Motors, said in a release. “Lucid Air has achieved its remarkable range whilst also reducing battery size through its in-house technology, resulting in a breakthrough in overall vehicle-level efficiency.”

Rawlinson added that the breakthrough is “not merely just a few percent; we are talking about a significant improvement.”

The production version of the Lucid Air will debut on September 9. In addition to the vehicle’s final interior and exterior designs, new details about production specifications, available configurations, and pricing information will also be shared, the company said.

Production is expected to start at Lucid’s factory in Casa Grande, Arizona  in early 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
FF never had a factory. Lucid has a factory and is already pumping out a ton of test cars here in Arizona. They have momentum. They are also not led by incompetent Chinese investors with more money than brains.

I am very interested in Lucid, unfortunately I am not interested in becoming another beta tester for an upstart EV manufacturer. I had enough of that with Tesla.

I believe it's LG Chem.

From what I’m reading Faraday did start a factory in Las Vegas. They made enough progress to brake ground and start construction.

Electric Car Maker Faraday Breaks Ground in Nevada

They all have momentum until they don’t =)

I would too. Given that Lucid is a bunch of ex-Tesla people, I guarantee they've thought about it. There's almost certainly a technical and/or business barrier preventing it (probably both).

Two possibilities:

1) With a 500+ range, home charging will be sufficient 99% of the time.

2) Lucid is betting in a few years there will be more non-Tesla options for charging.

Thinking about the last possibility, if in five years there is not a robust selection on non-Tesla stations it will mean that EV's have largely failed in the marketplace.

Reactions: electricar
I wonder when gas stations start offering chargers. They almost always have empty spots and they make most of their money from the store anyways.
Outside of interstate stops, likely when charging is the same time as filling up on gas. In most American locales anyways.

I think the current figure is that 80% of charging is done at home or work. Why stop at your local gas station for any amount of time when you can just charge while at home/work? Just as I plan my phone charging so that I don’t need to ever be inconvenienced, I do with our EVs. If DC charging gets down to 5-10 minutes, then maybe there’s a bigger market. But then it’ll be at things like supermarkets and restaurants.

Road trips simply aren’t as reflective of the miles we drive as range hysteria (now promoted by ICE supporters AND Tesla fanboys) suggests. Of course, when we lived in a high rise, we needed public chargers, but that’s a minority in America.

Outside of interstate stops, likely when charging is the same time as filling up on gas. In most American locales anyways.

I think the current figure is that 80% of charging is done at home or work. Why stop at your local gas station for any amount of time when you can just charge while at home/work? Just as I plan my phone charging so that I don’t need to ever be inconvenienced, I do with our EVs. If DC charging gets down to 5-10 minutes, then maybe there’s a bigger market. But then it’ll be at things like supermarkets and restaurants.

Road trips simply aren’t as reflective of the miles we drive as range hysteria (now promoted by ICE supporters AND Tesla fanboys) suggests. Of course, when we lived in a high rise, we needed public chargers, but that’s a minority in America.

I wasn't thinking about your local gas stations, but instead gas stations on a major interstate in the middle of nowhere. Like on route to vegas.