Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Lucid Motors to Debut Luxury EV Priced $169K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lucid Motors will plans to offer four versions of its all-electric luxury sedan ranging in price from under $80,000 up to $169,000, according to reports.

Bloomberg says a high-end variant of the Air called the Dream will cost $169,000, a Grand Touring variant will be priced in the low $130,000s after federal tax credits, and a Touring model will be priced at $100,000.

TechCrunch reported that Lucid will release a cheaper base model priced under $80,000.

Lucid Motors has promised that its performance and technology will be competitive with Tesla. In terms of range, the Air has an estimated U.S. EPA range of 517 miles compared to about 400 miles for the Tesla Model S. Lucid has also touted impressive acceleration, traveling the quarter-mile in just 9.9-seconds. 

The production version of the Lucid Air is scheduled to debut at 4 p.m. PT today via livestream.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Is V2G useful currently or do the utility companies have to "allow" them to be connected through whatever process they eventually dream up? Wondering if it would be simply treated, permitted and inspected for compliance as any other battery/generator system is currently.\

I like the V2G idea, but I'm not completely sold on its usefulness as it would only work if I happened to be home (thinking mainly about power outages). My V2G capability does my refrigerators and freezers no good if my car is parked at work when the grid goes down.

For example, during August 2020, our home power was out for 7 hours during 3 events. I wasn't home during any of them, but the Powerwalls kept everything running without even letting a clock start blinking.
Agree, I don’t see it as a current threat to Powerwalls, although it could serve in a pinch. Plus, V2G is a lot more appealing when it isn’t degrading your battery on a $170k car.

But there are benefits to the grid/society and arbitrage that Tesla could help its customers monetize. If Tesla develops the “million mile” battery and blockchain based power accounting, it would go a long ways to making energy consumption more sustainable. Take the millions of Tesla solar, Powerwalls, V2G mobile storage, G2V super charging, with a centralized NN driving its IoT ecosystem, and it’s utterly exciting to think about the impact Tesla can make. THATS why I want to be in the Tesla network, not EV superiority.

Just did an exact repeat of my Summer 2019 CCS trip (I-Pace) this time using my 2020 Model X. Since there was a violent headwind and 40-50°F daytime temps this year on the way up (>550 Wh/mi), I just used the data from the trip back. Cliff Notes:
No significant charging trouble with either car.
660 mile trip from SLC, Utah, to SoCal.
Google Maps - 9 hr
Tesla MX - 11 hr
Jaguar I-Pace - 12 hr