Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous and Standard changes Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that the Standard Battery has now been omitted from the Tesla website and Ludicrous option is now included in the Performance pack option with the price tag to boot.
Whether this is temporary or just another tuning of their product by Tesla is anyone's guess.
Either way, I'm sure it'll evolve/change again soon.

I've noticed that the Standard Battery has now been omitted from the Tesla website and Ludicrous option is now included in the Performance pack option with the price tag to boot.
Whether this is temporary or just another tuning of their product by Tesla is anyone's guess.
Either way, I'm sure it'll evolve/change again soon.
From what I’ve read its a worldwide change, however tesla dont seem to have much stability in their pricing and variants.

I think I read that Ludicrous was included in the US with performance but without increasing their price? Is that true? If so that really sucks for here.

In Australia bundling a $20k software feature where you will be hit with LCT the size of a semi truck on it is....Ludicrous.

I can understand they really want to have the same options across all world markets but the reality is that there are substantial differences in different countries affecting your sales strategy that it makes sense to do things a bit differently.

I think I read that Ludicrous was included in the US with performance but without increasing their price? Is that true? If so that really sucks for here.

In Australia bundling a $20k software feature where you will be hit with LCT the size of a semi truck on it is....Ludicrous.

I can understand they really want to have the same options across all world markets but the reality is that there are substantial differences in different countries affecting your sales strategy that it makes sense to do things a bit differently.
Here it was a 9k option. There a usd20k option. There was a brief moment where buying a model S performance with Ludi here was slightly cheaper than in USA after taxes.

Their full performance car went up about usd6k or down 14k if you value ludicrous at 20k. Ours went up 9k or $0 if you value ludicrous at 9k.

I still think when you include transport, lct and gst they are selling the performance model at a slight discount here compared to USA pricing.

Edit: just checked and the current price is $300 less here before taxes except gst. Tesla paying gst are giving us a 10% discount and shipping it here for free. That's before you factor in support costs in a remote country and our more onerous than usual consumer protection laws.

Last edited:
I know the performance car is still reasonable compared to US procuring (or last years pricing) but Instill
think Tesla would make more money if they dropped the S/X prices further.
I am an example of someone would was about to buy a $159,000 car, but at $171,800 will just stick with my S75D for a few more years.
Compared to the M3 there must be a huge profit margin on the S. I would guess they would make much more profit selling an S P100DL for even $140,000 that they would selling a standard M3 for $70,000.

I know the performance car is still reasonable compared to US procuring (or last years pricing) but Instill
I am an example of someone would was about to buy a $159,000 car, but at $171,800 will just stick with my S75D for a few more years.
Compared to the M3 there must be a huge profit margin on the S. I would guess they would make much more profit selling an S P100DL for even $140,000 that they would selling a standard M3 for $70,000.
Sure, but the old system, ludicrous was all margin minus the extra warranty claims. You might find there was very little margin on an S without ludi and the volume just didn't justify the option. Plus at 3.8 seconds and extra range on the LR version, do we really need a middle option?

A premium product should sell, for uh a premium. It's not uncommon in all product markets to have a halo product that is at a significant price premium and much reduced volume at the top end.

Yep. I kept hovering over the "Buy" button when it was 161K drive-away. Any chunk cheaper and I would have just bought it, and the Roadster would just have had to wait.
At least now I feel calmer- not buying a Raven lets me relax and save for the Roadster 2020 :)

I am sure Tesla has done the numbers, 100Kpa S/X with 75+100kWh or ~87Kpa LR only with higher margin and better differentiation from 3/Y. Bonus if they free some production space in Fremont to allow more space for 3/Y (maybe one line running more shifts?).

If they need more demand they can just reduce prices but US will need another price drop in Jan when credit stops anyway. Tesla decisions are usually US focused, like dropping SR S/X earlier this year before they had rolled RHD 3 out...sometimes Elon gets ahead of himself;)

Probably 2025 by the time it gets to Australia (Factor in 2 years of "Elon" time and the countless free roadsters fro youtubers that is likely to be a year of productions alone, then US, CA, EU, HK, Then Aussies...)
The correct order is US, CA, US upgrade, EU, US latest features, HK, US air booster version, CA upgrade, US new motor version, EU upgrade, US new long range version, aussies