Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe its coming from the Camry, but it seems like money well spent. It feels like being launched off a carrier via catapult. I know launch mode isn't really much faster, but the ritual of winding up just builds the anticipation and adds to the fun. Its still not super-car class from 40-80, but its clearly better. I'm content with the improvement for 5k, especially since I used my wife's credit card.

Maybe its coming from the Camry, but it seems like money well spent. It feels like being launched off a carrier via catapult. I know launch mode isn't really much faster, but the ritual of winding up just builds the anticipation and adds to the fun. Its still not super-car class from 40-80, but its clearly better. I'm content with the improvement for 5k, especially since I used my wife's credit card.

Me too. I hope your wife doesn't mind. :)

Safely home ...
IMG_2480.JPG

It's quicker, but I didn't have much of an opportunity for testing, nor are conditions good (45 degrees, ~75% SOC). Let's say it feels like a country road passing maneuver that would have hit 90 before would touch 100 now. Of course that's just to illustrate what it feels like based on responsiveness at legal speed: no actual data here.

Safely home ...
View attachment 108062

It's quicker, but I didn't have much of an opportunity for testing, nor are conditions good (45 degrees, ~75% SOC). Let's say it feels like a country road passing maneuver that would have hit 90 before would touch 100 now. Of course that's just to illustrate what it feels like based on responsiveness at legal speed: no actual data here.

Congrats!! I can't show Flash this photo, would get envious :biggrin: soon enough though, soon enough.

Thanks for trying! I guess the BP & BR codes are limited to P90D models (or P85Ds built after the Ludicrous announcement).

No need to prove you have the upgrade to anyone! But you could also show the "Driving" screen that shows Ludicrous (vs. Insane).

Also, did you get the line under the P85D badge on the passenger side of your trunk?

Here you go, MarcG!

IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG

So did you get your upgrade scheduled yet?

I have two unrelated comments now that I’ve got my car back and the upgrade seems to work, at least during the 40 mile drive back home.

First, like some others on this forum, I complain about lots of things: nags on AP, poor communications from the company, etc. However I do want to express my appreciation. I suspect that I am not the only one on this forum to pitch people on the wonders of the MS, boring my friends with a long a evangelical speech when the opportunity arises. Lately, the ludicrous upgrade has been one of the chapters in my speech.

Consider buying a 911 Turbo just before Porsche introduces a Turbo S model for the next year. I would not feel happy. Of course Porsche would be happy to take a depreciated Turbo in trade and sell me a Turbo S. But imagine Porsche saying ‘We feel badly we told you yours was the king of the hill just before we came out with a better car, so if you like, we will take yours back and upgrade it from a Turbo to a Turbo S (or at least 95% of a Turbo S) for half of the new price differential.’

I would probably have a heart attack if that statement came from Porsche, but here I am with a newly minted P85DL in my garage. And the comparison is actually very apt, since the Porsche website claims the Turbo does 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds, and the Turbo S in 2.9. A remarkable coincidence, don't you think? Of course the upcharge for a turbo S is ~$30k, which in fairness includes some Turbo options as standard. But as you all know, upgrading to a P85DL cost me $5k.

Thank you Tesla.

The second completely unrelated comment regards the P85+ loaner I’ve been driving the past few days. It’s a fine car as all Tesla products are, but I was surprised by the comparison with the P85D (pre Ludicrous). We all know dual motors yield low-speed acceleration but I was surprised at how similar the P85+ and P85D acceleration felt at highway speeds. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised given the P85D’s battery limitation.

But leaving aside low-speed acceleration, I was also surprised at the advantage all wheel drive gives the P85D. I discovered the P85+ rear end slides and axle-hops in situations the P85D never would. (I guess I drive these cars harder than I thought.) Admittedly, some of it might have been the P85+’s inappropriate Pilot Sport summer tires in weather just above freezing (I have Sottozero snow tires on the P85D) but the pull from the P85D’s front axle really adds stability and reduces the traction required in the rear.

The odd thing was that there is something about the suspension tune on my P85D that I liked much more than the P85+. The ride is less harsh, yet there seems to be as much handling precision and (very surprisingly) noticeably more roll stiffness than the +. The P85D somehow feels more stable and planted, even cruising in a straight line. The P85+ tramlined a bit, although that might have been the summer tires; however my P85D does not tramline on its summer tires. The difference in suspension feel might just have been coils on the loaner vs. an air suspension on my car: I’m not sure. Both cars had 21” wheels and the loaner’s alignment was good: it tracked perfectly straight. I know the P85D suspension has varied: I took delivery of my car at the beginning of 3/15. So the bottom line surprise for me was that the older car’s higher-speed acceleration was almost as good, but the P85D beats it on subjective handling feel. Go figure. Of course my car’s acceleration now materially beats the loaner’s at all speeds.

Last edited:
I know the P85D suspension has varied: I took delivery of my car at the beginning of 3/14. So the bottom line surprise for me was that the older car’s higher-speed acceleration was almost as good, but the P85D beats it on subjective handling feel. Go figure. Of course my car’s acceleration now materially beats the loaner’s at all speeds.

Nice write-up.

I think you meant 3/15 above, though, unless you had one of those super-secret, super-early P85Ds. :)

Downloaded the 7.1 upgrade last night. Car wouldn't start this morning. Getting towed to Fremont later today. :sadtrombone:
For any who care, the SC figured out what the problem was and is fixing/has fixed the problem. Something to do with the wiring harness inside the battery, though definitely attributable to the update. No charge, which was nice, though my lost time and the ravaging sadness of having to see my MS towed in the first place we no bueno. Still, the technician was awesome, as was the top notch customer service I've come to expect form Tesla. Honestly, the worst part of the experience is that they gave me a Buick for a loaner. Who do they think I am - Matthew David McConaughey?

For any who care, the SC figured out what the problem was and is fixing/has fixed the problem. Something to do with the wiring harness inside the battery, though definitely attributable to the update. No charge, which was nice, though my lost time and the ravaging sadness of having to see my MS towed in the first place we no bueno. Still, the technician was awesome, as was the top notch customer service I've come to expect form Tesla. Honestly, the worst part of the experience is that they gave me a Buick for a loaner. Who do they think I am - Matthew David McConaughey?

I appreciate all the info you've shared with us, yo mama. But I have to ask how the possibility of a charge even entered your mind, and thus why you would think it was nice that Tesla wasn't charging you. I mean it was pretty darn clear that their firmware update screwed up your car! Clearly they had to take responsibility. It just seems odd to me to be giving them any credit at all for that.

Just my opinion, of course.

Funny quip about Buick and McConaughey!

I appreciate all the info you've shared with us, yo mama. But I have to ask how the possibility of a charge even entered your mind, and thus why you would think it was nice that Tesla wasn't charging you. I mean it was pretty darn clear that their firmware update screwed up your car! Clearly they had to take responsibility. It just seems odd to me to be giving them any credit at all for that.

Just my opinion, of course.

Funny quip about Buick and McConaughey!
It wasn't entirely clear whether this fell under a warranty repair or not. From time to time I've been charged for parts, but not labor, in such scenarios. And while I did not expect to be charged for the tow or the rental/loaner, I'm always happy when a business meets or exceeds my expectations. Here, the SC also threw in a little swag and I really appreciated the gesture. I dunno - there's just a lot of dooshy companies out there (AT&T being one of my recent experiences) that seemingly charge for everything they might get away with. I like that Tesla isn't like that.

As far as it being "their screw up" - while I don't exactly disagree, I guess I sort of accepted that type of risk being an early adopter/initial upgrader. Those who want to be on the cutting edge of innovation can't expect polished perfection in every facet of the experience all the time. At far as my technician could tell, the 7.1 firmware issue I had (as of yesterday, anyway) seemed isolated to a couple couple P85Ds. Maybe it's the Silicon Valley in me but its normal to have a few bugs in any new programming, and I totally understand if there wasn't much of a sample size of ludicrous-upgraded P85Ds to do QA testing on prior to release.

Silly,
I would have upgraded to AWD if only for the handling differences. It is difficult to redirect 5000 lbs as it tends to have a mind of its own and prefers to do exactly what it is currently doing. Having the front wheels pull the nose around is sublime pure and simple. Tesla took a good car and made it great with the P85D. It is also nice to go from a P85+ that I HAD to put on coils to a P85D where I am more than HAPPY to leave it on the stock air. All it needed was a tad bit of lowering to make it just right.

Back to the upgrade schedule, I'm really looking forward to WPB getting up and running. Please keep the reviews coming so I can at least live vicariously through my peeps as I slog through another Tesla soon waiting period.