Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming out of lurk mode to post that I just got the call from Tysons as well. Took the Jan 6 slot at Tyco. Nice New Years surprise! Looks like 3 of the 5 are accounted for on this Thread.

That's pretty cool. Where are the other two slackers?

Who called you? Freemont directly? Your local SC? Or the Tysons Corner one ? (Sorry, these may be the same for you).

I was called by my "local" SC, which is Tysons. I'm pretty sure that they didn't know there was a team coming from California coming to do these upgrades until a day or two ago, based on some of what I was told. They don't have loaners or even much capacity to send someone to get my car.

Wow, I'm not sure how you guys got ahead of me. I was first on the list in Rockville, and put down the deposit via the site a few days before it was announced? Odd. Anyway, I'm one of the five, although I'm shocked there aren't more in the area. Rockville isn't doing it.

Who called you? Freemont directly? Your local SC? Or the Tysons Corner one ? (Sorry, these may be the same for you).

Based on the caller ID, the Tesla person who called me to schedule the upgrade was from my local service center (i.e., Tysons Corner, VA). The call was a total surprise; I haven't had any communications with Tesla about the Ludicrous upgrade since I signed up for it and paid my $500 deposit many months ago.

Interestingly, I wasn't given any instructions to run down the battery charge before bringing in the car -- unlike some CA P85D owners upgraded in Fremont.

Tesla is flying in technicians from California to teach the local VA techs how to perform the upgrade, and my car will be the first upgraded at my local service center. Apparently this trip by CA techs was scheduled at the last minute, so I'll be given a free Enterprise rental car (instead of a Tesla loaner) during the upgrade procedure, which may take multiple days.
I wonder if it really is cheaper to send techs (and equipment from what I hear), spend time training them, rent cars for customers, etc. rather than just swap in a new 90KW battery with the necessary upgrades already in place? How many folks doing the upgrade there, 5?

Interestingly, I wasn't given any instructions to run down the battery charge before bringing in the car -- unlike some CA P85D owners upgraded in Fremont.
Maybe it's on purpose in order to train the new techs what to do if the battery is not drained.

Based on the caller ID, the Tesla person who called me to schedule the upgrade was from my local service center (i.e., Tysons Corner, VA).

It was one of the regular service folks who called me. I've spoken to her several times before.

She did tell me to make sure my battery was at 30% charge. It was almost an afterthought at the end of the conversation, so my bet would be that not telling you was an oversight/

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I'm not sure how you guys got ahead of me. I was first on the list in Rockville, and put down the deposit via the site a few days before it was announced? Odd. Anyway, I'm one of the five, although I'm shocked there aren't more in the area. Rockville isn't doing it.

i thought I was first on the list at Tysons and also deposited before the announcement. It may just be blind luck that they picked Tysons as a first east coast spot.

Coming out of lurk mode to post that I just got the call from Tysons as well. Took the Jan 6 slot at Tyco. Nice New Years surprise! Looks like 3 of the 5 are accounted for on this Thread.
I love this forum! I'm up in New Hampshire with the folks for Christmas, looked at this thread this evening, saw all the posts about Tyson's, immediately checked my home voicemail, and sure enough there is a message from the lady at Tyson's trying to schedule me in. I'm the 4th guy. I'll return the call tomorrow.

I'm the 4th guy.

Actually you may be the 5th.

We seem to have responses in this thread from ALL FIVE P85D owners who have been contacted by Tesla to get the Ludicrous upgrade installed at the Tysons Corner, VA service center next week:

uberanalyst
LetsGoFast
AaronDCA
andrewket
sillydriver

And this all happened in little more than 12 hours! Amazing...
(sure hope nobody notifies the Virginia State Police to be on the lookout for high-speed Teslas next week :wink: )

Last edited:
Mmmmm .... got a nose bash ... had it picked up today on flatbed to be fixed .... don't have an estimate yet ... Put my deposit down on day one as well ..... guess I will need to call tomorrow and see how to handle this .....

I love this forum! I'm up in New Hampshire with the folks for Christmas, looked at this thread this evening, saw all the posts about Tyson's, immediately checked my home voicemail, and sure enough there is a message from the lady at Tyson's trying to schedule me in. I'm the 4th guy. I'll return the call tomorrow.

Wait, people still have landline phones these days? :biggrin:

We seem to have responses in this thread from ALL FIVE P85D owners who have been contacted by Tesla to get the Ludicrous upgrade installed at the Tysons Corner, VA service center next week:

uberanalyst
LetsGoFast
AaronDCA
andrewket
sillydriver

(sure hope nobody notifies the Virginia State Police to be on the lookout for high-speed Teslas next week :wink: )
you are absolutely right. I'm the 5th. I was left the Fifth slot, which is Saturday the 9th. They are doing one per day on their road trip from California to Virginia. At least having 4 cars ahead means they should be practiced by the time they get to mine. Looking back on my call with them, Nikki (if I caught her name right) said nothing about coming in with a low SOC.

uberanalyst
LetsGoFast
AaronDCA
andrewket
sillydriver

For accuracy, I have not yet been contacted, which I found odd. Since my post, I have learned I was in fact 3rd on the Rockville list, not 1st as I had previously thought (which is amazing because I emailed the SC during the press call!) It looks like one possibility is that rather than a sort based on time between Tyco and Rockville, that the Rockville list was appended to the end of the Tyco list. This is just my guess based on observation.

I just got off the phone with Tysons SC since my car is already in to correct some suspension noises and to have its original battery reinstalled after being reworked at Fremont. If I understood the upgrade situation correctly, it sounds like Fremont is sending ludicrous kits on a car-by-car basis.

That they are flying a team around and doing upgrades on site, from limited wait lists, supports the idea January will end the 6 month P85D offer. We can still speculate that training will leave the offer alive, perhaps in some other form. Not likely, in my eyes. The timing jives too well with this becoming a one-time tour of duty.

After a year filled with hard work and well-earned monetary gains, convinced myself and wife that this upgrade is "worth it" ;)

Just signed up for the upgrade! Let's see when my turn comes up at Fremont.

Happy Ludicrous New Year, everyone!

Welcome to the L-waitlist club! I also decided to splurge on the upgrade and gave Flash a nice Christmas present (ok, gave myself one :biggrin:)