Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85D also just said preparing. After the ludicrous upgrade and firmware update that came at the same time, it started to tell me how many minutes it would be until it was ready.
As suspected - UI change with Ludicrous (or at least, with the firmware you have now and Ludicrous). Thanks for confirming.

Speaking of which, which firmware version is your +L vehicle on?

Looks like I'm probably pulling the trigger on the 85 to 90 swap for the purpose of using my 85 pack for my EV conversation project. I'll start a thread when I have more info.

Edit: is anyone willing to share their L update invoice? Curious as to what the parts and labor list is. I keep getting conflicting answers on what is done.

Does that mean you and tesla came to an agreement re pricing?

I'm not sure if this thread is still about scheduling, but we are finally scheduled for the upgrade at Freemont. Feb 1! Will post before and after VBOX data if I can wrangle the thing from my local friend who has one. Has anyone else does VBOX testing of an upgraded P85D with "launch mode"?

My PD just came back to life a few minutes ago. They've re-installed the battery and drivers front door, rear hatch, and frunk are open. I got a text from the adviser earlier today that it should be ready tomorrow. It was originally scheduled for Wednesday with me dropping it off Monday but I dropped it off the previous Thursday instead and on Friday they removed the battery to send it off for the retrofit. The charge is the same as when I left it which would be a pretty good indicator that it's the same battery. I'll still double check the serial number just to be sure.

Strangely, the app notified me that the software update had failed to install 4 times.

My PD just came back to life a few minutes ago. They've re-installed the battery and drivers front door, rear hatch, and frunk are open. I got a text from the adviser earlier today that it should be ready tomorrow. It was originally scheduled for Wednesday with me dropping it off Monday but I dropped it off the previous Thursday instead and on Friday they removed the battery to send it off for the retrofit. The charge is the same as when I left it which would be a pretty good indicator that it's the same battery. I'll still double check the serial number just to be sure.

Like you, when mine came back to life, it had the same charge level. I haven't checked the serial number yet, but I'll check soon.

My PD just came back to life a few minutes ago.

Still waiting for my call from Fremont... Not going to push it as I haven't fully made up my mind yet on the upgrade. Sorka, will you be doing a reasonably well controlled before/after analysis across the important metrics? Not sure I really trust anything I've seen so far...

Still waiting for my call from Fremont... Not going to push it as I haven't fully made up my mind yet on the upgrade. Sorka, will you be doing a reasonably well controlled before/after analysis across the important metrics? Not sure I really trust anything I've seen so far...

Of course. Tons of logs and vbox runs from various SOCs and various starting speeds. I pretty much expect to find what I've already seen from the vbox files collected by owners other upgraded P85Ds.

Just picked it up. They were out of chrome underlines so it's not badged yet. They're on backorder. Go figure :)

I drove from Fremont to Santa Clara. First thing I wanted to do was verify there wasn't an issue with range as I immediately noticed that the steering wheel is very slightly off center when it wasn't before. They didn't disconnect the Blackvue, so I'll probably go watch the test drive to make nothing happened. I'm more suspicious that removing and installing the battery could change the chassis alignment just slightly as the battery is a major supporting stress member of the car. It was cold and windy so I can't conclude yet that the high wh / mile reading I got on the trip back to work is really related to the upgrade or just non optimal conditions for good economy.

The battery showed regen limited the entire time on the way back which means it never warmed up. I jumped on the accelerator once right before getting to work and the meter went up the second 0 on the 400 which is where I'm used to seeing it normally but that's probalby when the battery is warm.

I'll grab my ipad and log the actual power draw when I do a more thorough test drive over lunch. I don't want to use max battery power yet. I want to see how much power I can draw by driving it hard and warming up the battery the way I normally do.

A full vbox performance comparison before and after may be forthcoming tomorrow but holiday travel plans may prevent that until after the 26th.

So upshot is no new information. I just created an empty post :)

Just picked it up. They were out of chrome underlines so it's not badged yet. They're on backorder. Go figure :)

I drove from Fremont to Santa Clara. First thing I wanted to do was verify there wasn't an issue with range as I immediately noticed that the steering wheel is very slightly off center when it wasn't before. They didn't disconnect the Blackvue, so I'll probably go watch the test drive to make nothing happened. I'm more suspicious that removing and installing the battery could change the chassis alignment just slightly as the battery is a major supporting stress member of the car. It was cold and windy so I can't conclude yet that the high wh / mile reading I got on the trip back to work is really related to the upgrade or just non optimal conditions for good economy.

The battery showed regen limited the entire time on the way back which means it never warmed up. I jumped on the accelerator once right before getting to work and the meter went up the second 0 on the 400 which is where I'm used to seeing it normally but that's probalby when the battery is warm.

I'll grab my ipad and log the actual power draw when I do a more thorough test drive over lunch. I don't want to use max battery power yet. I want to see how much power I can draw by driving it hard and warming up the battery the way I normally do.

A full vbox performance comparison before and after may be forthcoming tomorrow but holiday travel plans may prevent that until after the 26th.

So upshot is no new information. I just created an empty post :)

Any chance of logging some powertrain CAN data? :D

There is a CAN message that reports the maximum power allowed for charge and discharge (acceleration and regen). Would love to compare between our cars.

I don't want to use max battery power yet. I want to see how much power I can draw by driving it hard and warming up the battery the way I normally do.

On my car the gain is quite significant when temperatures are under 60F, and it's difficult to warm up the pack enough normally if it's also cold outside. I'm considering adding some foam insulation to the bottom of the pack. 50 minutes at 5kW to warm the pack is rather wasteful.

Any chance of logging some powertrain CAN data? :D

There is a CAN message that reports the maximum power allowed for charge and discharge (acceleration and regen). Would love to compare between our cars.

I need that $295 OBDII CAN interface that you got, right? Very tempted. Would beat the heck out of logging via the streaming API. Would really like voltage too so I can see just how close to the 1500 amps I'm getting and just how much more the voltage drop is at 1500 vs 1300.

- - - Updated - - -

Just went out to lunch with 5 passengers. After full acceleration onto the freeway and a 5 minute drive, the battery was warm enough to produce 442KW. This was without max battery power enabled. I wouldn't be surprised to see 450KW after supercharging without max battery. The acceleration with Ludicrous with 5 passengers felt just like Insane did with just me in the car, so I have yet to experience it with just me as as a driver. Will get that in a few hours when I head home. Fortunately traffic is light in the Bay Area due to the holidays.

@ sorka: yep, that's what Power Tools is telling me. Here is some of the key data points, though if you PM me an email address I'm happy to send you the run logs
- 414kw @ 55mph and 59% SoC
- 417kw @ 37mph and 60% SoC (the only 0-60 run)
- 418kw @ 79mph and 66% SoC
- 418kw @ 75mph and 85% SoC
- 425kw @ 40mph and 89% SoC

So on the way home tonight, I gunned it on the highway at various SOCs. This is without max battery and without using a supercharger before to charge. It was cold. In the 50s.

442 KW @ 88%
434 KW @ 80%
433 KW @ 79%
433 KW @ 77%
431 KW @ 69%
423 KW @ 65%
421 KW @ 64%
418 KW @ 59%
415 KW @ 56%
407 kW @ 52%
405 kW @ 50%
387 KW @ 38%

The difference between the L and non L is more from lower SOCs. 60 to 70% has a difference of 51 KW pre vs post upgrade while the 442 KW @ 88% - 410 KW @ 88% is only 32KW. Again, this is is before and after without max battery. 51KW is just about a 50 hp at the wheels different so this is a pretty big change. It's really noticeable compared to pre upgrade in this range of SOC.

Maybe someone can chart this data with my previous equivalent set.

View attachment 102187

Another interesting point. At 55% the P85DL puts out as much power as a 90 to 100% charged P85D without L.