Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone share my concern that draining the battery pack may affect its longevity? Or am I over reacting?
I don't recall that they drained the battery down to single-digit percentages before performing the Ludicrous update on my car. Of course, I wasn't paying complete attention and they might have done this after iPhone app communications with the car was lost. But I wasn't concerned about this.

I'm in Houston and received a call yesterday from one of the two service centers here (forgot to ask which one but when I signed up I selected the new North Houston center). The rep. stated the the parts for my upgrade have been ordered and he'd give me a call back to schedule an appointment when he has an exact ETA on them.

The battery was 20% at 5 pm. Now the app is no longer connecting. RIP

Mine was only drained to 16% or so.

I brought the car in just under 40%. My battery was drained to 20% as of 5 pm Wednesday. I checked a couple more times before the car went dark around 7 pm, but on those checks there was no further decline in the SOC. So I infer they had drained the battery as far as they were going to, which was to 20%.

Went on a drive a short while ago. 50 degrees, just finished charging to 90%, so the battery is warm. I don't have equipment for timings or the right place to do them. Noticeably quicker, but not a dramatic difference. I am nevertheless glad I did the upgrade. Some wheel slip from a standing start with the snow tires, which was not the case before. Definitely more surge when punching it at 50 mph. Curiously, the motor sound is a little different on hard acceleration (not in a bad way). Hard to describe. Maybe more whoosh added to the whine.

Went on a drive a short while ago. 50 degrees, just finished charging to 90%, so the battery is warm. I don't have equipment for timings or the right place to do them. Noticeably quicker, but not a dramatic difference. I am nevertheless glad I did the upgrade. Some wheel slip from a standing start with the snow tires, which was not the case before. Definitely more surge when punching it at 50 mph. Curiously, the motor sound is a little different on hard acceleration (not in a bad way). Hard to describe. Maybe more whoosh added to the whine.

I'm sure the data is not as accurate as the data gathered with the in-car testing tools, but if you sign up for the currently free TeslaLog, you can take a look at some pretty good numbers.

I only signed up a couple of weeks ago, and then did some launches. Below is a graph and the details from one of them, just to show what is available.

TeslaLog Heading.jpg

TeslaLog Launch Numbers.jpg

TeslaLog Launch.jpg

I'm sure the data is not as accurate as the data gathered with the in-car testing tools, but if you sign up for the currently free TeslaLog, you can take a look at some pretty good numbers.

I only signed up a couple of weeks ago, and then did some launches. Below is a graph and the details from one of them, just to show what is available.

View attachment 108178
View attachment 108179

View attachment 108180
Thanks. I didn't know it could do this. I saw TeslaLog mentioned in some other thread recently. It's the paranoiac in me, but my immediate reaction was concern about signing up with a website that would track my every move. I will take a closer look at it.

Thanks. I didn't know it could do this. I saw TeslaLog mentioned in some other thread recently. It's the paranoiac in me, but my immediate reaction was concern about signing up with a website that would track my every move. I will take a closer look at it.

You can turn logging on and off as you desire, so if you wanted to, you could just let it track your car when you wanted to gather performance data.

You have a valid concern. You are providing your Tesla login credentials to a 3rd party, who _could_ do bad things as a result (or could track your movements, as you more specifically suggest). In this case, the developer is a Canadian, and as a fellow Canadian, I can vouch for him, all of us Canadians are angels :). In all seriousness, his service has had my credentials for a year now, and I haven't had my car stolen, broken into, or a new car purchased under my name, so I do feel comfortable vouching for him/the site.

Dropped it off in Dania last Saturday, but won't get it back until late this week, maybe Thursday. They said the engineer that was supposed to fly in last week wasn't able to make it, so they've been Skyping. Also said they were missing a part. Looking forward to getting the car back.

The odd thing was that there is something about the suspension tune on my P85D that I liked much more than the P85+. The ride is less harsh, yet there seems to be as much handling precision and (very surprisingly) noticeably more roll stiffness than the +. The P85D somehow feels more stable and planted, even cruising in a straight line. The P85+ tramlined a bit, although that might have been the summer tires; however my P85D does not tramline on its summer tires. The difference in suspension feel might just have been coils on the loaner vs. an air suspension on my car: I’m not sure. Both cars had 21” wheels and the loaner’s alignment was good: it tracked perfectly straight. I know the P85D suspension has varied: I took delivery of my car at the beginning of 3/15. So the bottom line surprise for me was that the older car’s higher-speed acceleration was almost as good, but the P85D beats it on subjective handling feel. Go figure. Of course my car’s acceleration now materially beats the loaner’s at all speeds.

The P85+ never offered deletion of the air suspension.

You have a valid concern. You are providing your Tesla login credentials to a 3rd party, who _could_ do bad things as a result (or could track your movements, as you more specifically suggest). In this case, the developer is a Canadian, and as a fellow Canadian, I can vouch for him, all of us Canadians are angels :). In all seriousness, his service has had my credentials for a year now, and I haven't had my car stolen, broken into, or a new car purchased under my name, so I do feel comfortable vouching for him/the site.

Whether or not you trust that the developer who is running the site has honest intentions is only part of the issue. The bigger issue is whether you are willing to bet that his site cannot be hacked. The unfortunate part is that your credentials have to be stored on the server, which means that if site gets hacked, all the credentials are now in the hands of the attacker. Now, Tesla summon does not have the ability to go far, but still, would you like your credentials to be had by a malicious hacker? The more owner credentials TeslaLog has, the more attractive of a target it becomes for hackers. Btw, even the Tesla site does not store your credentials in a way that would allow a hacker to recover your password. Unfortunately, for technical reasons, proxy sites such as TeslaLog have no choice but to to store your passwords rather than salted password hashes (session security tokens are an option but then you'd have re-enter your password to TeslaLog everytime your session expires or Tesla restarts their server). Tesla as a company also has more resources to dedicate to security than a single developer.

The P85+ never offered deletion of the air suspension.

This is correct, air suspension was mandatory to order +.
Interesting. I guess that makes the difference more likely to be P85+ summer tires in cold weather, although it did also feel that P85+ damping was excessively hard, while the P85D seemed to have stiffer roll bars, at least in my very subjective impression.