Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luton Airport Car Park 2 Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a risk assessment for a new multi-strey car park and how it addresses the possibility of vehicle fires and preventing the spread. These fires are quite rare and maybe the relatively low risk to life means they don't/won't cost in an effective fire-suppression system?
But, because we live in a world where the media spread lies and fear at will, there will likely be an over reaction to this and EVs banned from multi storey car parks, under ground car parks and many other locations.

Or, more likely, to fit with the worlds single track mind of making money over anything else, a higher fee for parking EVs, or a tax in some locations, and a “safety tax” on the channel tunnel, ferries etc etc. it’s all coming, it’s just when……

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 my dad just FaceTimed to tell me an EV has burnt a multi story car park down at Luton! 12000 miles and 10 hour time difference and that was the reason for his call 😂😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

FML!

"A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can get its boots on" Mark Twain (maybe)

That has to be the most literal example of this quote I have ever heard 🤣

Media talk, conspiracy, rumours or speculation about tightly packed EVs & fire horrors may have an upside for us all. If ICE drivers choose to leave adjacent parking spaces free that suits me just fine - no sentry mode draining the battery & no more door dings or scratches.

Reactions: davidmc
Let us all not forget this tragedy in 2018 (Before the Model 3 even appeared on UK shores and EV's started to become a common sight)

Spoiler - Land Rover started this one!

But surely there must have been EVs parked next to each other? If you search on Youtube for petrol car fire you just get EV fire videos! It's strange that I've seen plenty of cars burning at the side of the road or the burnt out shells of ones that burned previously ... and so far none have been EVs. It will happen one day ... just as there's a chance your plane to your summer holiday desitnation may crash ... but thankfully it's rare enough not to worry most of us.

The reality is that petrol and diesel cars hold way more energy in their fuel tanks than any EV can hold in its battery ... and that's what is released if they catch fire. They burn more ferociously but for a shorter time ... and are more likely to spread the fire to anything parked nearby.

Reactions: lamgineer
I suspect something was lost in translation between EV causing the fire and EVs being involved early on if this is indeed a direct quote

IMG_0193.jpeg

Isn't that a bit like reporting on a serial killing by saying "a lot of women were involved"?

Not necessarily, if the fire brigade react differently and/or the fire was more ferocious as a result of EVs being present

Risk is a function of likelihood and impact. The argument could be getting rid of ice will lower the likelihood. EVs increase the impact, but ordinarily have lower likelihood. It’s a perfect storm when they’re side by side. It’s looks probable that EVs were not the cause it happened, but it may be EVs made it worse once it did. If that’s correct, keeping them apart might be prudent, that’s for those assessing risk

Is there really any science to the argument that EVs burn more dangerously than Diesel/Petrol ? From what I've read EV fires are no difference to initially extinguish than any other, they just have a tendency to relight is the battery isn't kept cool for a good while.

We seem to have incorrectly decided that EV fires are more dangerous. Given how many cars were burning it's no surprise that Firefighters didn't go in there.

Reactions: djtaylor
Not necessarily, if the fire brigade react differently and/or the fire was more ferocious as a result of EVs being present

EVs don't burn more ferociously. Ferocity meaning the biggest amount of energy released in the shortest time. Petrol and diesel cars burn with much greater ferocity i.e. they release more energy and over a shorter time. EVs can increase the challenge of extinguishing the fire but that's because they burn for longer, and due to their chemistry can supply their own oxygen to maintain the burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.