Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luxury Car Tax RIP - Budget 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say that tonight is a bad night to order.

Too late to save the £3500 grant - as Tesla need to request your details and you have to fill it in - for you, as a specific customer, to have a 'contract' with Tesla and they can apply for the grant on that car.

And too soon for Elon to make any price tweaks eg making something 'optional' to bring the baseprice (+ Number Plates, say £25) below £50,000

However feel free to use my Referral link if you wish :D

• Disagree
Reactions: pow216
I would say that tonight is a bad night to order.

Too late to save the £3500 grant - as Tesla need to request your details and you have to fill it in - for you, as a specific customer, to have a 'contract' with Tesla and they can apply for the grant on that car.

And too soon for Elon to make any price tweaks eg making something 'optional' to bring the baseprice (+ Number Plates, say £25) below £50,000

However feel free to use my Referral link if you wish :D
The PIG is done automatically, on order.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Mark-R
This is very interesting - I am due to buy a May 17 registered MS on Saturday and had been annoyed that it would have 3 yrs of tax to pay. From reading this thread it appears that I may benefit from this change? I cant SORN the car as I need to use it for the rest of the month so I need to tax it when I buy it on Sat. Can someone remind me - is there still the option to pay for 6 months? If so is that the best option and then claim the exemption after that? Its a bit annoying if I have to pay for 6 months when I only need to bridge until 1 April but presumably thats the best for my circs and at least I will save on the following 2.5 years? Thanks

@Mr Miserable Tesla did manage a quick turn-around on a stock vehicle for one lucky person - see his earlier post.
He filled in the documentation immediately and they aplied for PIVG.

Of course, if Tesla are still working now, it might be ok .... :rolleyes:

Maybe they are, if it is coordinated from California. - In which case I will apologise.

This is very interesting - I am due to buy a May 17 registered MS on Saturday and had been annoyed that it would have 3 yrs of tax to pay. From reading this thread it appears that I may benefit from this change? I cant SORN the car as I need to use it for the rest of the month so I need to tax it when I buy it on Sat. Can someone remind me - is there still the option to pay for 6 months? If so is that the best option and then claim the exemption after that? Its a bit annoying if I have to pay for 6 months when I only need to bridge until 1 April but presumably thats the best for my circs and at least I will save on the following 2.5 years? Thanks
I believe you can get the tax refunded if you SORN it.

Tesla did manage a quick turn-around on a stock vehicle for one lucky person - see his earlier post.
He filled in the documentation immediately and they aplied for PIVG.

Of course, if Tesla are still working now, it might be ok .... :rolleyes:

Maybe they are, if it is coordinated from California. - In which case I will apologise.

What documentation? On order, it's all done electronically. I scanned a copy of my driving licence and that's it.

Yes 6m is an option but your best bet is to tax by DD monthly payments for a year then. On the night of 31st March SORN it then on morning of 1st April re-tax for a year. That way you will never have it off the road and only pay for 1 month of tax

Thanks - so does that mean I could park it on my drive on the evening of 1 April and do the online SORN process and then the next day apply to tax again and get the exemption so no tax and then start driving again and await a cheque in the for the 5 months tax I had pre-paid?

What documentation? On order, it's all done electronically. I scanned a copy of my driving licence and that's it.

@Mr Miserable Please accept my apologies then. I thought the Driving Licence scan was after order. - I remembered wrong.

I ordered a Model X from Inventory at 16:00 tonight, before I knew anything about the change to the grant or Tesla pulled all the stock off their website - I completed all the paperwork shortly afterwards so will be interesting (to say the least) to see if that one got in under the trap door...
Just spoke to Tesla on the phone, my car was registered on the Govt portal when I completed the online documents, so I'm under the wire. Massively relieved.

I presume anyone else ordering direct (and hopefully everyone on a lease if the lease company is on the ball) would be in the same boat.

Presumably he is referring to Finance. I was cash, as I assume you were, Mr Miserable

Anyone SORN-ing might want to check possible 5 day processing delay if done online. Sounds like in any event you can re-tax immediately at a Post Office, but may be not online and within 5 days of online SORN declaration.

Anyone SORN-ing might want to check possible 5 day processing delay if done online. Sounds like in any event you can re-tax immediately at a Post Office, but may be not online and within 5 days of online SORN declaration.
You have a very valid point . Its not going to be 5 days that's like a worst case if you do it Easter weekend with a double bank holiday but if done late in the evening on the 31st it may well not be processed by the morning on the 1st in which case you would not be able to tax it again on the 1st. Call centre uses the same online system so that would not help. But as you say you can do it at the post office that is Always allowed. A bit. more of a PITA though :(

@Mr Miserable Please accept my apologies then. I thought the Driving Licence scan was after order. - I remembered wrong.

Presumably he is referring to Finance. I was cash, as I assume you were, Mr Miserable
If by “he” you mean me, then no. I’m paying cash. When I ordered and said I was paying cash I was asked to provide my registration address and photos of my driving licence, which were uploaded. That’s what I meant about online documents.