Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance hike - quick sense check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is cheap mine for. Y long range 1700 9 + years no claims business miles 3k domestic 4k based in Manchester -price comparison sites 2k upwards. Reaching a point where one has question whether it is worth it.

So yeah, that’s *inflation* for you

1691829258511.png

Got to laugh really...

My Vauxhall Petrol Car is £250 per year to insure, and £165 to Tax.

Tesla M3P is £1350 per year to insure, and £0 to Tax (it used to be £750 when brand new)

Hmmm....
This will be a big factor when I come to replace mine. Like you say, it's wiping out the cost savings of driving an EV.

This will be a big factor when I come to replace mine. Like you say, it's wiping out the cost savings of driving an EV.

That's why I bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance...

... when you can find me an ICE Car that can do 0-60mph in 3.1 seconds, has no formal Servicing Costs and doesn't have 2000 moving parts in a race to be the weakest link.

Then I'll start moaning...

Reactions: RedMod3

... when you can find me an ICE Car that can do 0-60mph in 3.1 seconds, has no formal Servicing Costs and doesn't have 2000 moving parts in a race to be the weakest link.

And in reality when was the last time you checked that 0-60? Or even floored it properly?

Because in my case, that 0-60 weared off quote quickly. Or maybe I got so much used to it

But I will also add ... when we get to the weekend, which car do we both pick when visiting family???

Skoda Enyaq VRS Coupe 80kWh

It's slower, it's heavier, it's bigger...

But it's way more comfortable, more economical, more luxury, and a very nice car to cruise around in.

Tesla stays at home plugged into the Powerwalls

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro

I just don't find EV's fun or engaging to drive. Yes, blisteringly quick acceleration, but there is no getting away from the sheer mass, detached steering feel and lack of involvement.

For driving for the joy of it, I'll take my mid-engined, howling petrol car all day, every day....even if it does take 5 seconds to get to 60mph.

It's also massively cheaper to run than a Tesla, but each to their own.

Last edited:
I just don't find EV's fun or engaging to drive. Yes, blisteringly quick acceleration, but there is no getting away from the sheer mass, detached steering feel and lack of involvement.

For driving for the joy of it, I'll take my mid-engined, howling petrol car all day, every day....even if it does take 5 seconds to get to 60mph.

It's also massively cheaper to run than a Tesla, but each to their own.

Yeah, I get it. But I have tinnitus now from decades of riding high performance and off road motorcycles.

If you want sound, try Akrapovic with any inline 4 or Termignoni on a V2 Ducati Panigale, or titanium Arrow on a Triumph Triple. Heaven on engine overrun, and so visceral.

I found cars absolutely boring at one time... and lost interest completely. Done a LOT of track days. It was Tesla that got me interested in them again, and yes they have their weight, but driven well they're bloody quick still.

But I've had 30 years of it... so like my peace and quiet now 😀 ...

Reactions: gangzoom
Yeah, I get it. But I have tinnitus now from decades of riding high performance and off road motorcycles.

If you want sound, try Akrapovic with any inline 4 or Termignoni on a V2 Ducati Panigale, or titanium Arrow on a Triumph Triple. Heaven on engine overrun, and so visceral.

But I've had 30 years of it... like my peace and quiet now 😀 ...
But it's not just the relative peace and quiet (which is fine)..…I just don't see any of the Tesla's as great (or even good) drivers cars.

Don't get me wrong, of course they are highly competent in many ways....just not big on 'fun'.

But it's not just the relative peace and quiet (which is fine)..…I just don't see any of the Tesla's as great (or even good) drivers cars.

Don't get me wrong, of course they are highly competent in many ways....just not big on 'fun'.

I find S/Xs to be incredibly competent for their size/weight, and on public roads they are far more capable than most of us having driving skills to push any where near their mechanical grip limits. 2-3 second of WOT even in our 75D X essentially is boarding on reckless driving on our B roads when you consider the need to be able to react to other road users around the next blind corner.

If you want 'fun' on public roads that involves road feedback, some element of skill, some real consequences of pushing past the grip limits, no family car really delivers anything close to the 'fun' other wheeled transport can deliver:).

52936997284_d123b9f115_k_d.jpg

If you want 'fun' on public roads that involves road feedback, some element of skill, some real consequences of pushing past the grip limits, no family car really delivers anything close to the 'fun' other wheeled transport can deliver:).

52936997284_d123b9f115_k_d.jpg

....and no other wheeled transport does so much to remove the joy of driving cars than those!

(We live close to the London-Brighton cycle route....once a year, fair enough, but there rarely seems to be a weekend during the summer months when some organisation or other isn't running their own event).

....and no other wheeled transport does so much to remove the joy of driving cars than those!

(We live close to the London-Brighton cycle route....once a year, fair enough, but there rarely seems to be a weekend during the summer months when some organisation or other isn't running their own event).

Try them, you might like it. I suppose it depends on what you class as 'joy', for me there has to be a real risk of something going wrong, let's face it the TC, safety of Teslas mean they require the skill of a toddler to go fast, and if do end up hitting the laws of physics......2ton+ of metal doing most likely 3 figure speeds going out of control, not for me those risks are too big!!

On a pedal bike though, it amazing what literally can stop you in your tracks or how small error of judgment makes themselves felt!

If you really want understand what 'road feel' is literally no car comes close ;)

51590910287_9c9bb69b85_c_d.jpg

50089724476_cf899c66a7_c_d.jpg